Game Day 2021 AFL Grand Final - Melbourne v Western Bulldogs, Saturday 25 September, 7:15pm AEST, Optus Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Well done to Simon Goodwin, Alan Richardson, Adem Yze, Troy Chaplin, Greg Stafford and Choco Williams

They've done an incredible job this season.

Bad luck to Adam Tomlinson who missed being part of it because of the knee injury

Credit to you mate, called us as the best team almost earlier than anyone that I saw on here.

You know why we won by 74 points? Because when the going got tough our midfield wanted to break tackles, be contested and run defensively

The dogs midfielders look to draw a high free kick before they release and they don't run backwards with anywhere near the intent.
Only Libba from them actually wants to break tackles, Dunkley, Hunter, MacRae etc all just want an easy high free kick

* the campaigners

Wasn't too concerned when Bulldogs took the lead in 2nd q. Felt they had fired every shot in the locker with no reserve ammo coming into the premiership 2nd half.
Bang bang bang ! all over.
We were always going to win it. Our player list runs far deeper than theirs. Our I/C bench would be first 18 for any afl side including bulldogs.

When can Melbourne return home with tbe Cup? Anyone know.

Just woke up after having a sleep and many beers still can't believe it. We were 19 points down and won by 74 my brain can't compute that. We won more than we what we lost by 21 years ago, and that grand final we were 40 points down. We kicked 16 of the last 17 that is unheard of. I saw this on Facebook never forget.

View attachment 1246265

Reckon it's most special for Viney, Gawn and TMac - guys who survived Neeld. To not only win a flag but to do it by making the Dogs look like the 2013 Dees has to got feel soul cleansing.

Reckon it's most special for Viney, Gawn and TMac - guys who survived Neeld. To not only win a flag but to do it by making the Dogs look like the 2013 Dees has to got feel soul cleansing.
I still remember that first game in 2013, I remember feeling optimistic and then witnessing one of the worst games I've ever seen. Notably pedersen ducking and toumpas letting down the Greek community. To make it worse wines already looked like a star.

You know why we won by 74 points? Because when the going got tough our midfield wanted to break tackles, be contested and run defensively

The dogs midfielders look to draw a high free kick before they release and they don't run backwards with anywhere near the intent.
Only Libba from them actually wants to break tackles, Dunkley, Hunter, MacRae etc all just want an easy high free kick

fu** the campaigners
Well done Melbourne FC. Simply too good - all year. Congratulations to all Demons supporters. You've been through so much.

Thoroughly deserved.

Thank you guys. For a short while there between the 2nd and 3rd quarters I thought you were going to let the Western Umpire Throwdogs win a premiership to go with their other gifted one. Thank you for not letting that happen.

I hope You don't celebrate too hard. Slow and steady, let it sink in... These things only come along every 4 years or so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is it.

Teams:
Melbourne

B: Lever May Hibberd
HB: Salem Petty Bowey
C: Langdon Petracca Brayshaw
HF: Harmes McDonald Pickett
F: Neal-Bullen Ben Brown Fritsch
R: Gawn Oliver Viney
INT: Spargo Rivers Jackson Sparrow (Jordon)

Western Bulldogs

B: Wood Keath Duryea
HB: Dale Cordy Daniel
C: BSmith Liberatore Hunter
HF: Treloar Naughton Weightman
F: Hannan English Johannison
R: Martin Macrae Bontempelli
INT: Dunkley Williams RSmith Schache (TBC)

Where to watch:

Free to air: Channel 7

Streaming: Through the 7plus app on AppleTV, Telstra TV, Fetch TV, a Playstation 4 or 5, an Android TV or a Samsung Tizen from 2017 or later.
International: Through the Watch AFL app.

View attachment 1244953

Don’t forget to post your cheese board - click here.

Videos to hold you over:

Luke Jackson says thanks to the Bigfooty Demons for their support.

Simon Goodwin midweek press conference.

Max Gawn midweek press conference.

Thoughts of pjfairbairn:

Thoughts of LeverPuller:

Thoughts of The Dr:

We’re finally here. This is it. Get ready, good luck and…

GO DEES

Cant wait to read through this from the start and relive the magic

Bulldogs players looked like they were celebrating the loss last night

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
Kinda can't blame them. May as well have some end of season beers/cut loose in Perth while they can before returning to lockdown.

Let me preface this by saying everyone in our household here in Brisbane were barracking hard for Melbourne last night

So don't condemn me when I say I had to have a good chuckle at the tone of the comments from Page 10 to about halfway through Page 17 of this thread.

That's the period of the game when your first quarter 21 point dominance turned into a 19 point deficit.

It's was soooo much like our own Lions board when things go pear-shaped within a game:

"We're done", "We're sh#t", "Our defence sucks!!!", "The Umps are screwing us over....as usual!!", "player X has been woeful", "where is Plan B!!??" ....etc ......etc

Like I said......just like our place.:D
I suppose it's just a reflection of how much the fortunes of our footy teams means to us

Sometimes it's easier to keep a clear head as partial neutral like me last night, than as a heavily invested passionate supporter.

Even when the Dogs got out to a 19 point lead, I was telling all the people in our lounge room to relax because 19 points was easily gobbled up by a team like the Dees, who put on the afterburners all season when they looked in trouble. They have the pistole-as.

You did it to my Lions in the second half in the H&A season when we looked in total control at half time. You steamrolled Geelong in that classic last round fixture and you were consistently a great second half team.

Melbourne was easily the best team over the course of the season and thoroughly deserving Premiers

Heartiest congratulations on a fabulous win.

Just reading through all the threads now. I was sitting directly behind this kick from Max and didn’t even get up really. 100% was a point
Those high balls are tricky, I did goal umpiring for my local club a few years ago I think I may have costed my mate a goal but it was a high floater and I think I changed my mind in the last minute and gave it a behind when I doubt you do it. Luckily it didn’t matter. Anyway I did notice the crowd didn't cheer either, well at least the cheer squad which is usually an indication. One thing for sure would hate to have gawn as an any time goal kicker in a multi.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back