List Mgmt. 2021 Trade & List Management Thread II - IN: CCJ

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

he didn’t come on due to the concussions he was on a similar path than most KPFs, I mean in terms of output yeah it’s a bust but it wasn’t necessarily the wrong pick

It wasn’t just down to his concussions that resulted in him becoming a bust. I also have to disagree that his growth as a player was similar to other key forwards who succeeded. The years leading up to the concussion issues, he showed very little improvement from year to year. There were plenty of McCartin - Petracca comparisons leading up to McCartins injury troubles. He struggled to cover ground due to having poor running capacity and wasn’t quick or agile either. He basically relied on contested marking as a strength and I think you need more than that with a pick 1.

He was a man child playing against kids in his draft year similar to Patton and Boyd around that time. Most draft gurus had Petracca at pick 1 in their player rating at the time. I think just about every other club would have had Petracca at the top of their list. St kilda to me clearly wanted to fill a massive hole and picked on needs basis which has come back to bite them. St kilda’s drafting particularly in the first round has been extremely poor.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

There's no room for Lynch on the list. Nothing wrong with a VFL playing coach like we did with Whitecross though.

Rookie list I’m ok with, means Walker stays as a utility tall back, not overly shattered

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing with drafting small forwards in the first round is that it needs to be when you have little to no other needs to fill.

When Weightman and Pickett were drafted, neither team needed midfielders obviously and both had gotten in key position players through free agency/trade (Keath & Bruce) (May, Lever & Tomlinson).

Small forward I think is the position most reliant on a good team around them to perform well. For every Kozzy Pickett or Weightman, there’s a Jarrod Pickett or Jarrod Garlett or even Rankine who has had good games and obviously has the talent but can’t produce that consistently when Gold Coast are so bad.

When that is the case, it gives much less incentive to draft a small forward early even if they’re genuinely special because you don’t normally reap the rewards until the team is good. Small forwards can be found later in the draft, and it makes more sense for us now to try to find one there than anywhere else.
Pickett was also their second pick that draft. They took Jackson at pick 3, Pickett at pick 12 didn't they?

Also, I know he is a flog but how is Stringer for Schache any sort of win? (Apart from getting rid of Stringer.)
Totally answered your own question there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back