Player Watch #35: Charlie Lazzaro - contract extension until end of 2024

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It's unmistakeable how many of them have got PTs over the off-season; Noble must have laid out his expectations pretty clearly, and while Brady is cleaning up the S&C side of things, the message seems to be no excuses, get your own programs and come back fit(ter)
Could easily have been our new SC coach too.
Noble obviously not happy with how fit our guys were last year.
Also the young guys are taking spots off established players. They know it and are doing everything they can to keep it that way.

Saw the lizard slithering around the tan the other morning. Looked like he had filled out a little more too.
Actually saw Kieran Harper sprinting around there as well last week and man he looked fit (and still young). Bloody hell what could have been!!

Is it possible COVID restrictions are playing a part in it? IIRC there are carveouts for elite athletes that allow them to train and use gyms etc, but does it have to be hand in hand with a PT or something perhaps? Genuinely don't know, but it's been startling just how many players are involved in one program or another in their offseason.
Maybe also that the gyms are all cottoning on to this as a promotional vehicle. Been increasing over the last few years I reckon.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
It might also be possible that players did this in previous years, but the prevelance of social media nowadays is just highlighting what early training is undertaken.

Good on the guys though. I wouldn't begrudge them for taking a few more weeks off to relax and get some mental R&R!

This is it, players have been doing various extras in offseasons for eons. This is just a more visible form of it.

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
1632613099668.jpeg
1632613111738.jpeg
1632613118321.jpeg
1632613124881.jpeg
1632613131378.jpeg

Lazz turning the jets on in week 2!

Those numbers are super impressive considering his main physical attribute when drafted was his agility. So now he has upped his explosiveness and top speed. Just needs to put it all together during games now.
I seem to remember his 20m speed was slow but there were questions on that cos he was sposed to be a fast runner. I think his endurance running was good too.

I seem to remember his 20m speed was slow but there were questions on that cos he was sposed to be a fast runner. I think his endurance running was good too.
His afterburners are elite

Swallow_Wood

Premiership Player
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He wasn't invited to the combine but did a testing for the country lads where he ran a 2.9 I think after running a slower time previously. Its back in the thread somewhere.

He wasn't invited to the combine but did a testing for the country lads where he ran a 2.9 I think after running a slower time previously. Its back in the thread somewhere.
Yeah that sounds familiar. I think his preseason combine time was 3.1.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Oof - do people realise how quick McGrath is? This is a tweet from Twomey in 2016.

"Andy McGrath just ran 10.95 over 100 metres at school athletics meet. Elite pace. No.1 contender." - Cal Twomey

Correct. In his vision, he was quite clearly fairly rapid over 15-20m. It was strange how Shifter said he lacked leg speed on draft night, he must have purely been going off the pre-season testing which was 3.10....

Did you yell, "go harps go" ?
For a moment I considered it. I was torn between whether he'd appreciate someone remembering his footy exploits or if it would just awaken an inner turmoil of repressed heartache for the poor guy. Pain that he may have been trying to bury deep within since we delisted him. In the end I was saved from making such a decision by the fact he was running at speed in the opposite direction with his hot girlfriend. Blink and he was gone.

His afterburners are elite
His main issue this year was getting that fitness up to sustain those gut-runs and multiple chain efforts. Really pleasing that he is working on that and improving his very good speed.

Northwards

Senior List
Nov 22, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Would love to see him play the whole year on the wing next year. May lose some defensive focus that Dumont had but in the long run Laz is so dynamic, genuine threat of being a 80m player every time he gets the ball.
Very balanced player, low centre of gravity. Tested elite iirc for agility at combines and looked every bit of that this year playing AFL and especially playing midfield in the VFL

the flying ham

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
FWIW 10 seconds for 100m is an average speed of 36.0 km/hr.

But by the same token Usain Bolt's fastest times were around 44km/hr during a 100m race.

37 is still motoring tho.
Bolt is only hitting a top speed 44km/hr late in his 100m sprint, his average speed as you highlighted would be in the high 30s. Lazzaro in theory at the 60m mark could still be accelerating as is the norm with high performance over 100m

Back