Game Day 2021 AFL Grand Final - Dogs vs Demons @Optus Stadium 25/09/21

Remove this Banner Ad

So Ed Langdon joins an exclusive club of 5 players who win a premiership after leaving Fremantle.

1996 & 1999 - Peter Bell - North Melbourne
1999 - Winston Abraham - North Melbourne
2008 - Trent Croad - Hawthorn
2010 - Leigh Brown - Collingwood
2021 - Ed Langdon - Melbourne

This doesn't include players who won a premiership before joining Fremantle. Peter Bell played in 1995 for Freo so i have included him.

Btw i forgot Harley Bennell was at Melbourne last year. Imagine if Melbourne got him right and he played last night this forum would have exploded
Was thinking that. Their culture in backing each other nearly got him there. Melbourne really get behind each other. Think that’s been the biggest change. Their culture was a shambles not even a few years ago

Was awesome wasn’t it. Bonts kicked his third to put them up 59-40 with 9.30 left in the third. The rest was just everything coming together so perfectly on the biggest stage. Don’t think ever witnessed such complete game live. Just the synergy of the midfield group, very jealous.
Oliver is just as good as Petracca. Langdon and Brayshaw the wings so perfecty.

And that’s why you play three tall forwards. Brown, McDonald and Jackson were too much.
Agree
Dogs lack of talls was pretty evident.
Although Dees numbers and structure in defence was outstanding.

Birds of Tokyo were fantastic.

I watched the game with a mob, containing teens through to walking framers. We all thought the entertainment was pretty spot on.

This coming from a chap who detests rap / hip hop, and thinks that George Thouragood (sp) is a god.

Freo are sooooooooo far off being Premiership caliber.

Melbourne were unreal

Keep the faith things will turn eventually.

Demons have proven that

They were probably at the lowest point a football club could ever get really between the period of 2007-2015 a failed rebuild on top of failed rebuild plus they were tanking, then they were getting flogged every week there was no ray of sunshine.

I bet back in 2011 after we limped to the end and yes we had a lot of injuries but i don't think anyone thought we would have been playing in a GF 2 years later. Considering where we were at.

Same with Demons you wouldn't have picked them to win the flag going off their last 2 seasons. Just like richmond back in 2017 a dynasty no one saw coming.

Melbourne were unreal
Nonsense the Demons have had an almost full list to choose from for weeks. We haven’t had our best list on the park since 2016. With our best out there week on week we will be at the pointy end. There’s no secret in winning flags it’s all about having a near full list to contend

Nonsense the Demons have had an almost full list to choose from for weeks. We haven’t had our best list on the park since 2016. With our best out there week on week we will be at the pointy end. There’s no secret in winning flags it’s all about having a near full list to contend
sorry can’t agree with you there . Unfortunately our best list contains very little in the way of quality forwards and our wings aren’t too quality, so no matter if we had our best 22 every week we are at best currently about an 8th ranked team .IMO .

On another note , if we do bring in JC and he doesn’t gut run the entire field like Ed Langdon he can GAGF .

sorry can’t agree with you there . Unfortunately our best list contains very little in the way of quality forwards and our wings aren’t too quality, so no matter if we had our best 22 every week we are at best currently about an 8th ranked team .IMO .

On another note , if we do bring in JC and he doesn’t gut run the entire field like Ed Langdon he can GAGF .
If we have our full list, we make finals, if not top 4. The comp is close, we have weapons, it’s almost impossible that we are fit for the whole year though. Not sure why

If we have our full list, we make finals, if not top 4. The comp is close, we have weapons, it’s almost impossible that we are fit for the whole year though. Not sure why
Losing Lockie Neale who then went on to peak & win a Brownlow, then both hill & Langdon (both of our wings in the same year)
Now cerra is going just as he was about to go through the roof.
By the time we get games into this year's recruiting (if they are any good) Fyfe, Walters & Mundy will be gone or cooked.
Player availability aside we have made a meal out of the rebuild by failing to retain what we have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Ed Langdon joins an exclusive club of 5 players who win a premiership after leaving Fremantle.

1996 & 1999 - Peter Bell - North Melbourne
1999 - Winston Abraham - North Melbourne
2008 - Trent Croad - Hawthorn
2010 - Leigh Brown - Collingwood
2021 - Ed Langdon - Melbourne

This doesn't include players who won a premiership before joining Fremantle. Peter Bell played in 1995 for Freo so i have included him.

Btw i forgot Harley Bennell was at Melbourne last year. Imagine if Melbourne got him right and he played last night this forum would have exploded
I believe Christ Tarrant also with the pies in 2010. As a bloody backman! (who we traded in as a forward)

I believe Christ Tarrant also with the pies in 2010. As a bloody backman! (who we traded in as a forward)

His was still with Fremantle in 2010, thank the stars. Ross turns his career around and then does a "I'm good now, I wan't home".

Glad he didn't win one.

Edit: I'm glad he didn't win one with Collingwood. If he had have stayed at Freo he would have had a chance in 2013.

Edit Edit: It was Harvey that tried him in the backline, not Ross? I'm not sure.

Last edited:

Melbourne were unreal
things can change quickly though, it was little over a year ago that the Dees needed to beat either us or Sydney to make the 8 and lost both.

Yep, things can turn around very quickly when it all just clicks, like Melbourne this year, West Coast in 2018 and Richmond in 2017.

Even at the start of this season Goodwin was probably amongst the shortest odds to be axed before round 23. It’s hard to take a longer-term view when we’re all caught up in the ebbs and flows of the regular season but you just have to look at Melbourne compared to a side like Carlton to see the value in smart investing in the football department (which I think we’re moving towards), good drafting (pls draft forwards this year Freo) and commitment to a longer-term plan.

When we beat Melbourne last year in the Gold Coast, knocked them out of the finals race and Cerra was BOG, I remember listening to the post match analysis on ABC with Malthouse and the general consesus was that Fremantle's list build was way ahead of Melbourne.

When we beat Melbourne last year in the Gold Coast, knocked them out of the finals race and Cerra was BOG, I remember listening to the post match analysis on ABC with Malthouse and the general consesus was that Fremantle's list build was way ahead of Melbourne.
Melbourne had been underwhelming since 2018 PF. They brought the Sports Scientist Lord himself, Burgess and hit next level.
Also drafting Jackson the year before and ballsy move to get Brown wrapped it all up.
Weideman can’t get a game.

But most of all, they finally won on the trade table. May and Lever have been ridiculous for them since going there.

Neale-> Freo for pick 6
Pick 6 and 23 -> Hogan
Pick 6 -> May. That right there meant an extraordinary win for both Brisbane and more so Melbourne.
How Bell still has his job after that pathetic disaster I do not know. Fremantle still reeling from that. Meanwhile, Neale Brownlow. May All Australian.

Interesting story Mike Sheehan told on 360 last week. Basically Sheehan saw Goodwin at the local before the season had started & was chatting to him when Sheehan asked “how do you think you’ll go this year?”

Goodwin looked around to see if anyone was listening & said “if we have a good run with injuries, we’ll win it”

If we had as good a run with injuries as they did this season, we probably finish
around 6/7 at worst & play a final or 2. Until we get our injury list sorted, we will battle to impact the competition.

Interesting story Mike Sheehan told on 360 last week. Basically Sheehan saw Goodwin at the local before the season had started & was chatting to him when Sheehan asked “how do you think you’ll go this year?”

Goodwin looked around to see if anyone was listening & said “if we have a good run with injuries, we’ll win it”

If we had as good a run with injuries as they did this season, we probably finish
around 6/7 at worst & play a final or 2. Until we get our injury list sorted, we will battle to impact the competition.

Yep we havent had a healthy list since 2015.

Even in 2013 when we made the GF we had injuries its quite ironic our most successful season Pav only played 12 games the least he played in a season in his career. His next worst was 18.

Sandi played just 10.

Mcpharlin played 16 but missed the last 7 games of the H&A when pav and sandi returned. So we never had our full spine together outside of finals

Yep we havent had a healthy list since 2015.

Even in 2013 when we made the GF we had injuries its quite ironic our most successful season Pav only played 12 games the least he played in a season in his career. His next worst was 18.

Sandi played just 10.

Mcpharlin played 16 but missed the last 7 games of the H&A when pav and sandi returned. So we never had our full spine together outside of finals
Ibbotson out when he would’ve been on Gunston. C. Pearce was a big factor in Ross’ game plan. Just never 100%.

I think we should take a lot of positivity from the Demons win. It shows that it can be turned around and it can be done in a reasonable time frame (ie. before I die).

The other thing is what can we learn from this? Perhaps we need to look at what they have down to turn it around and see what we are doing wrong.

All it may require is a tinker here and there.

I think we should take a lot of positivity from the Demons win. It shows that it can be turned around and it can be done in a reasonable time frame (ie. before I die).

The other thing is what can we learn from this? Perhaps we need to look at what they have down to turn it around and see what we are doing wrong.

All it may require is a tinker here and there.
Forwards. Forwards. Forwards.
That’s the difference between the two sides being at the game. Naughton struggled with a raw English and Scache. Bruce out papered over the Bulldogs’ incredible finals. It finally caught up to them.
Melbourne don’t have high quality talls. But their depth allows them to change the dynamic. Brown, after the negativity last season, got a chance and followed through. McDonald is always a tough match up, just never falls over or loses contests. Jackson or Gawn stretched Bulldogs every time they went forward. Best of all, their medium forward is the best in the competition. Fritsch is a perfect example of what Sturt, if he ever gets fit, can be.
We’re not even close to having the same forward depth. Case in point- Tabs goes down, the whole team can’t score. Lobb down, and we’re cooked.
Melbourne had Tomlinson out with ACL, but still has McDonald forward.

Really think we need to experiment with either Cox or Logue forward. Sure draft a forward but we want to be in the window by 2023, then we’re behind the 8 ball. Have to go after players like Weideman, English. We’re not getting Jackson, without trading players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back