Recommitted Tim English [contracted and staying at the Western Bulldogs]

Value-wise, Pick 10 sounds about right, although his value to the Dogs is far higher.

I'm not convinced Lobb is any better up forward. English is a 40+ goal per year player when playing up forward (was on track before Martin went down and he had to move back to the ruck).

Lobb's biggest return at Freo was this year, where he's kicked 20.19. His career best was 29 goals back in 2016.

English still has room for improvement, and even if he didn't, he's still a better player than Lobb. I'm not saying Lobb is a bad player, just that his value is significantly lower than English. Especially when you consider the size of his contract over the next 2 years
The forward debate I suppose is a hard one given the games Lobb missed during the year, the fact English has played both as main ruck and fwd/ruck in the year and that the WB forward line / midfield connection puts ours to absolute shame.

I personally think Lobb is worth a pick in the 20s so think that's the difference in value that would need to be made up.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The forward debate I suppose is a hard one given the games Lobb missed during the year, the fact English has played both as main ruck and fwd/ruck in the year and that the WB forward line / midfield connection puts ours to absolute shame.

I personally think Lobb is worth a pick in the 20s so think that's the difference in value that would need to be made up.
Sounds like we're on the same page regarding value of both of them - honestly can't see a universe where we'd entertain a trade involving English while he's contracted anyway. Using the Dunkley trade for reference, I'd imagine we'd say "Darcy or GTFO" and any negotiations would go nowhere

Sounds like we're on the same page regarding value of both of them - honestly can't see a universe where we'd entertain a trade involving English while he's contracted anyway. Using the Dunkley trade for reference, I'd imagine we'd say "Darcy or GTFO" and any negotiations would go nowhere
I'd think it would be entirely dependent on if English said he plans on heading back. I think it would be stubborn for the sake of being stubborn to basically outright say no deal when a trade that makes a lot of sense (to me anyway) would possibly be available this year. It'd make a lot more sense then anything next year anyway where it would likely be just draft picks

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'd think it would be entirely dependent on if English said he plans on heading back. I think it would be stubborn for the sake of being stubborn to basically outright say no deal when a trade that makes a lot of sense (to me anyway) would possibly be available this year. It'd make a lot more sense then anything next year anyway where it would likely be just draft picks
No idea what the club would do, but personally think it's not a sure thing that English would need to be replaced anyway. Bruce will be back at end of 2022, Naughton is locked in long term, Schache is back in the side, we have JUH pushing for selection and will recruit Darcy, on top of Young being in and out of the side in various positions. I'd rather picks tbh (since Darcy would be off limits) or someone like Cox to be included since he's more of a need

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So he's not a ruck. Can he play back? If he's a forward will he kick enough goals? Does he start in front of Bruce, Naughton and JUH next year? I reckon if you sell you probably sell now before he gets relegated to the seconds but Bevo does like to back in his boys, see Schache, Roarke Smith etc.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Has literally said he would like to stay long term.

Just this week he said he and his girlfriend have been doing long distance for some time and will continue to do so into the future.

You're throwing WCE our there because his girlfriend just signed on with some west coast netball team and therefore they must be targeting him and he must want to go

No player has ever said they want to stay long term and then left...

Not that it means English will leave, but please, it's not an argument for him staying. VERY naive to think otherwise.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Value-wise, Pick 10 sounds about right, although his value to the Dogs is far higher.

I'm not convinced Lobb is any better up forward. English is a 40+ goal per year player when playing up forward (was on track before Martin went down and he had to move back to the ruck).

Lobb's biggest return at Freo was this year, where he's kicked 20.19. His career best was 29 goals back in 2016.

English still has room for improvement, and even if he didn't, he's still a better player than Lobb. I'm not saying Lobb is a bad player, just that his value is significantly lower than English. Especially when you consider the size of his contract over the next 2 years

Lobb has the same discussions for his goals per year not being 40+ "as English was on track for" (over 5 games...) though. Can't excuse one and then not the other. Sure there is an age difference but 2018-19 Lobb was back in the ruck etc, just staying on the park with Darcy doing the same next year would see him kick 35+.

This isn’t a reaction to last nights game at all, something I’ve felt all season. Unless he’s willing and even desperate to do the work to become number 1 ruck, then trade him while his currency is still high.

Do any Dogs KNOW what his preferred position is, like inside knowledge know?

Personally feel there might be something with a Lobb/English swap if and only if English has already told the Dogs he plans to head back to WA after his contract ends. Because the trade makes a lot of sense for both teams

Dogs could do a lot worse then trade English for a direct replacement while getting some points for Sam.

He obviously wouldnt want to go to Freo if he wants to be a number 1 ruck though because Darcy has him covered in that role.
His preferred position is midfield/wing, but he's a ruckman due to his height.

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
His preferred position is midfield/wing, but he's a ruckman due to his height.

He doesn’t have agility or endurance for wing. His handball game is a bit slow and predictable. He lacks the physicality of a first ruck. I feel he’s a bit awkward in most positions. Even as a forward his pace is subpar.

The only time I’ve watched him and thought he had taken a step forward in the last 2 months was the 2nd half against Brisbane, when embarrassed in the first half, he stepped up and brought you guys back into the game.

Personally I don’t want him at Freo. Because the value needed to get him wouldn’t be worth it to us.

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
Anybody else reckon this guy is actually no good at all? He’s a skinny, timid ruck who gets belted by any half decent ruck out there, and his point of difference is supposedly he’s a good forward - yet in 22 games all he had to show this season is 29 marks inside 50 and 19 goals. Rory Lobb is a very flawed player but I still reckon he’s about twice the player English is.

Trade trade trade Bulldogs, and drop the currency on a proper ruck who can hold his ground or a forward who will net you more goals.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
Anybody else reckon this guy is actually no good at all? He’s a skinny, timid ruck who gets belted by any half decent ruck out there, and his point of difference is supposedly he’s a good forward - yet in 22 games all he had to show this season is 29 marks inside 50 and 19 goals. Rory Lobb is a very flawed player but I still reckon he’s about twice the player English is.

Trade trade trade Bulldogs, and drop the currency on a proper ruck who can hold his ground or a forward who will net you more goals.
I think no good is a step too far but yeah I think he still overrated as a prospect.

Lobb is probably the sort of player he is in the trajectory to be. Maybe it clicks for him over the next few years but I have doubts.

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
I think no good is a step too far but yeah I think he still overrated as a prospect.

Lobb is probably the sort of player he is in the trajectory to be. Maybe it clicks for him over the next few years but I have doubts.
English’s hands will never be like Lobb’s, and even as a ruck Lobb was more consistently competitive than English is

English is neither a ruck or a forward which makes him pretty handy as the 2nd ruck/ extra key forward role.

He was quite aggressive in the air up forward in the first 6 weeks of the season. Unfortunately after getting knocked out by Naughton's knee he was quite shaken up (missed 5 weeks with concussion) and he lost confidence in his ability to fly for marks. Still had some good games in the ruck around the ground, but never looked the same up forward.

Smiley Boy

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I just don't trust him to deliver anymore to be honest i think it's time the dogs cut their losses and get something for him while we can

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm not against taking Lobb in a swap for English (with something significant also included).

Lobb is at the perfect age that he can gap fill for 2-3 seasons whilst Darcy develops. English in comparison is a bit of a roadblock in terms of Darcy considering they both are suited to the forward/ruck role and that English is young enough that it will overlap. English is not a no1 ruck nor will he ever will be.

Power is an excellent negotiator. Interesting to see if he blocks any potential move like he did with Dunkley or he uses English as currency to fill a need.

Back