Draft Expert Davo-27's 2021 u18 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry my bad it was "Sanders"

The issue with Oliver Davis, Oliver Sanders and even Jye Menzie is that they are 19 year olds, so even though they have played well and are probably in Tassies best most weeks, they have already been through their draft year and were not picked, they also were not picked in the MSD, so the likelihood they get drafted is much smaller than an 18 year old, i tend to not mention them as much because of this.

Best 10 players in the open draft
i wanted to name my best 10 players outside of F/S and Academy players in the open draft, this will differ from media predictions and even what clubs have said recently, i just wanted to name my favourite 10 players

Jason Horne-Francis - last year i thought he was the clear number 1 talent prior to seeing Daicos play and that has changed a little as i think Daicos is the better and more consistent player both at accumulating poss, kicking goals and general poss as well as composure and general play, but JHF has a more explosive game offensively and defensively but can go missing for spells.

Finn Callaghan - i really like his evasiveness, speed and clever use of the footy, more an outside player, he showed he can handle a more contested role playing inside mid and having some good games, had an ordinary AFL Academy game on the wing and a small concern on contested side of his game, but he has a lot to like about his game otherwise.

Ben Hobbs - similar to Daicos in that he wins a lot of ball in tight, doesnt have the goal kicking ability that Daicos does, but has a strong contested side to his game, very tough in and under player who should go early on draft night

Neil Erasmus - his game is more suited to playing as a half forw, but similar to Draper can play midfield to a decent level accumulating big numbers as well as floating forward and taking contested marks and kicking goals, good disposal and being clean with hands and decision making, he also has a very competitive attitude and looks like a great pick up for a team in the top 10

Josh Goater - what really stood out to me was his acceleration from a contest, as well as being a tall midfielder and good disposal, he is more an outside player, but if he wins the ball from a clearance situation he can burst away and create separation to them deliver unaffected into the f50

Jye Amiss - seeing how he plays i really like his leading and his speed on the lead, he also has good agility to get around players, i liked and didnt like how unselfish he was in the WA V SA game, but the way he won the ball and created opportunity with the ball in hand for a big forward was impressive and the goal from 40m on the boundary on the run showed he has some special capabilities

Josh Ward - again a fairly quick but smaller player, outside/inside player, had a great patch of form prior to lockdown, started the season OK, but really ramped up prior to the lockdown to put his name up there as a top 10 draftee, Goater and Ward outperformed Daicos in the 1 Challenge game(Faux Champs Game) which was a good effort

Josh Rachele - his 2019 season was a standout season, playing top level footy as a under underager, his 2021 season hasnt been as explosive or impressive and i think that has to do with the bigger bodies of the 19 year olds creating more contested footy in the NAB League, theres more bigger bodies and fitter players creating less space and time, but what stands out is his disposal and composure in the forw/mid

Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera - i was impressed last season with how he stepped up in big games and again this year he has done the same, his evasiveness is also something i really appreciate and has been in SA's top 3 in both champs games, if not their best, he has rocketed up the rankings in recent times, but i think its because of his collected form over the last 2 seasons that has me confident he will perform well at the next level

Ned Long - at this last spot i was considering a couple of other players (Knevitt and Johnson) but i landed on Long, he was sensational earlier in the season, not only was he a strong big bodied inside mid, but when he floated forw he would kick bags of goals for fun, i really liked his competitive nature and strength in the contest as well as his footy iq when he had the footy and his ability to win contested footy.

October Top 50
Top 50 - October

1. Nick Daicos *
2. Jason Horne-Francis
3. Sam Darcy *
4. Finn Callaghan
5. Ben Hobbs
6. Neil Erasmus
7. Josh Ward
8. Josh Goater
9. Jye Amiss
10. Josh Fahey *
11. Jacob Van Rooyen
12. Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
13. Matthew Roberts
14. Matthew Johnson
15. Josh Sinn
16. Josh Rachele
17. Ned Long
18. Mitch Knevitt
19. Rhett Bazzo
20. Josh Gibcus
21. Mac Andrew *
22. Campbell Chesser
23. Toby Conway
24. Sam Banks
25. Connor MacDonald
26. Josh Browne
27. Arlo Draper
28. Tyler Sonsie
29. Kade Dittmar
30. Darcy Wilmot
31. Judson Clarke
32. Ethan Regan *
33. Charlie Molan
34. Marcus Windhager *
35. Morgan Ferres
36. Brady Hough
37. Leek Aleer
38. Paul Curtis
39. Tom Brown
40. Jake Soligo
41. Michito Owens *
42. Arthur Jones *
43. James Tunstill
44. Kai Lohmann
45. Zac Taylor
46. Eric Benning *
47. Cooper Hamilton
48. Cooper Beecken
49. Lachlan Rankin
50. Jase Burgoyne *

Last edited:
Top 50 - October

1. Nick Daicos *
2. Jason Horne-Francis
3. Sam Darcy *
4. Finn Callaghan
5. Ben Hobbs
6. Neil Erasmus
7. Josh Ward
8. Josh Goater
9. Jye Amiss
10. Josh Fahey *
11. Jacob Van Rooyen
12. Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera
13. Matthew Roberts
14. Matthew Johnson
15. Josh Sinn
16. Josh Rachele
17. Ned Long
18. Mitch Knevitt
19. Rhett Bazzo
20. Josh Gibcus
21. Mac Andrew *
22. Campbell Chesser
23. Toby Conway
24. Sam Banks
25. Connor MacDonald
26. Josh Browne
27. Arlo Draper
28. Tyler Sonsie
29. Kade Dittmar
30. Darcy Wilmot
31. Judson Clarke
32. Ethan Regan *
33. Charlie Molan
34. Marcus Windhager *
35. Morgan Ferres
36. Brady Hough
37. Leek Aleer
38. Paul Curtis
39. Tom Brown
40. Jake Soligo
41. Michito Owens *
42. Arthur Jones
43. James Tunstill
44. Kai Lohmann
45. Zac Taylor
46. Eric Benning *
47. Cooper Hamilton
48. Cooper Beecken
49. Lachlan Rankin
50. Jase Burgoyne *

You forgot Arthur Jones * West Coast NGA

Keen to hear why you don’t rate Zac Taylor higher?

in the games ive seen of his, he seems to get a lot of his poss on the defensive side of midfield and chips the ball around, its why i get frustrated at Tom Mitchell who does the same, but in Zacs case he has better disposal(but lacks that elite disposal Sam Mitchell had in that role), he doesnt really provide much attacking run and is physically small, he would have to have a high level of determination and be elite with disposal to rate higher based on his game style imo, but he could develop that? im just not as sure he will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

just wanted to mention i really liked Angus Sheldricks game in the WAFL Colts GF, kicking goals and trying to get his side going forward, it was just his poor kicking at times that held him back, although the commentators were saying he looked like Dusty out there when he "dont argued" a guy, but that seems to be a trope at this point

in the games ive seen of his, he seems to get a lot of his poss on the defensive side of midfield and chips the ball around, its why i get frustrated at Tom Mitchell who does the same, but in Zacs case he has better disposal(but lacks that elite disposal Sam Mitchell had in that role), he doesnt really provide much attacking run and is physically small, he would have to have a high level of determination and be elite with disposal to rate higher based on his game style imo, but he could develop that? im just not as sure he will.
fair enough

Updated Tier List (October 6)
My Updated Tier List

(4)Elite: Daicos, JHF (Callaghan, Darcy)

(8)Top Tier: Hobbs, Erasmus, Ward, Goater, Amiss, Fahey, JVR, NWM

(21)Quality: Johnson, Roberts, Sinn, Rachele, Long, Knevitt, Bazzo, Gibcus, Andrew, Chesser, Conway, Banks, MacDonald, Browne, Draper, Sonsie, Wilmot, Dittmar, Regan, Ferres, Hough

(37)Quality with question marks: Molan, Windhager, Clarke, Aleer, Curtis, Brown, Soligo, Owens, Jones, Tunstill, Lohmann, Taylor, Benning, C.Hamilton, Beecken, Rankin, Burgoyne, Jackson, Uwland, Motlop, Rayson, Archer, Willis, Sheldrick, Dib, Williams, Murray, Rossimel, H.Hamilton, Butler, Bergman, Howes, Bella (19 yr olds)Doultree, Trudgeon, Cleary, Gribble

EDIT: i made a slight edit, putting Ferres and Hough in the Quality grouping and dropping Judson Clarke to Quality with question marks grouping and adding Bella.

Last edited:
hearing Richmond want to get ahead of GC to get Hobbs, dont know how true it is, but i do view Hobbs very highly, i think he could go at 4 or 5 potentially.

hearing Richmond want to get ahead of GC to get Hobbs, dont know how true it is, but i do view Hobbs very highly, i think he could go at 4 or 5 potentially.
Not sure if you browse club draft boards, some Richmond fans have concerns on his speed/ ability to break free from contests, any thoughts on that?

I doubt that either GWS or GCS select Hobbs, but Adelaide, Hawthorn or Freo might. (Personally, I think they'd go to different players such as Ward & Erasmus, but Hobbs is a definite risk to go to one of those 3.)

I presume if the whispers are correct, Tiges don't want to take any risk and are prepared to pay to remove that risk.

Of course, that might just be a smokescreen to get ahead of other teams to select the guy they really want - Ward? Callaghan even?

Not sure if you browse club draft boards, some Richmond fans have concerns on his speed/ ability to break free from contests, any thoughts on that?

inside contested mids arent usually known for their leg speed, more speed of thought and decision making, as well as qualities like toughness, accumulating poss, feeding players with leg speed, winning one on ones ect, but in saying that, he doesnt look slow, just not fast...

Wouldn't BFONE be more of a priority than Hobbs?
i think Richmond have a lot of so-so young mids, other than Ross and Dow and they are looking to rebuild through there in the next couple of years, because they got embarrassed in the midfield a few times this year and their game style demands a strong midfield and Hobbs as one of the most tough and courageous inside mids in this draft is probably a priority for them? maybe?

Early 2022 Draft Rankings Top 50
Early 2022 Draft Rankings, i have yet to see all of the talent, so there may be a few names missing, also some players may come good in their draft year.

Top 50
1. Will Ashcroft - Bris F/S - Vic Metro/Sandringham - 183cm (mid)
2. George Wardlaw - Vic Metro/Oakleigh - 181cm (mid)
3. Adam D'Aloia - South Aus/WWT - 184cm (mid)
4. Elijah Tsatas - Vic Metro/Oakleigh - 184cm (wing)
5. Oliver Hollands - Vic Country/Murray - 182cm (mid)
6. Jhye Clark - Vic Country/Geelong - 180cm (mid)
7. Jack Cleaver - West Aus/Est Frem - 187cm (mid)
8. Harry Lemmey - South Aus/West Adel - 199cm(KPF)
9. Isaac Keeler - South Aus/North Adel - 197cm(Ruck/KPF)
10. Jed Hagan - West Aus/Est Frem - 174cm (mid/hbf)
11. Jaiden Magor - South Aus/Sth Adel - 185cm (mid)
12. Harry Sheezel - Vic Metro/Sandringham - 183cm (forw)
13. Jaspar Fletcher - Bris F/S - Queensland/Bris A (wing)
14. Max Michaelanny - South Aus/Norw - 190cm(potential KPD)
15. Seth Campbell - Tasmania - 179cm (forw)
16. Jackson Broadbent - West Aus/Peel - 205cm(Ruck)
17. Elijah Hewett - West Aus/Swan Dist - 186cm (mid)
18. Kane Bevan - West Aus/Wst Perth - 192cm (mid)
19. Kobe Ryan - South Aus/Wst Adel - 182cm (mid/hbf)
20. Jonti Schuback - Vic Country/Gipps - 183cm (def)
21. Alex Condon - West Aus/Claremont - 201cm(Ruck)
22. Levi Fyfe - Queensland/Gold Coast A (mid/hbf)
23. Alwyn Davey Jnr - Ess F/S - Vic Metro (forw)
24. Matthew Jefferson - Vic Metro/Oakleigh - 193cm(KPF)
25. Jedd Busslinger - West Aus/East Perth - 195cm(KPD)
26. Nick Sadler - South Aus/Sturt - 179cm (mid/flanker)
27. Sam Gilbey - West Aus/Clarem - 185cm (def)
28. Tyson Walls - South Aus/Norw - 171cm (mid)
29. Noah Long - Vic Country/Bend - 178cm (mid)
30. Luke Michael - West Aus/Wst Perth - 185cm (def)
31. Harvey Howe - Vic Country/Gipps - 200cm(Ruck)
32. Lachlan Cowan - Tasmania - 186cm (mid/def)
33. Koby Cockshell - South Aus/Sth Adel - 195cm(KPD)
34. Blake Drury - Vic Metro/Oakleigh - 176cm (mid)
35. Luke Teal - Vic Metro/Oakleigh - 188cm (def)
36. Aaron Cadman - Vic Country/GWV (def)
37. Cooper Vickery - Vic Country/Gipps (def)
38. Mattaes Phillipou - South Aus/WWT - 188cm (flanker)
39. Max Clohesy - Vic Country/Murray (def)
40. Kai Windsor - Vic Metro/Eastern - 178cm (mid)
41. Mitch Szybkowski - Vic Country/Dand (mid)
42. Brayden George - Vic Country/Murray (forw)
43. Jacob Konstanty - Vic Country/Gippsland (forw)
44. Brodie Tuck - South Aus/Central Dist - 193cm (forw/def)
45. Harry Barnett - South Aus/Wst Adel - 202cm(Ruck/KPD)
46. Jacob Evitt - West Aus/Subiaco - 179cm (mid)
47. Riley MacMillan - Queensland/Bris A (mid)
48. Cooper Harvey - NM F/S - Vic Metro/Northern - 179cm (mid)
49. Conrad Williams - Frem NGA - West Aus/Clare - 182cm (wing)
50. Will Verall - South Aus/Sth Adel - 200cm(Ruck)

Last edited:
Early 2022 Draft Rankings, i have yet to see all of the talent, so there may be a few names missing, also some players may come good in their draft year.

Top 50
1. Will Ashcroft - Bris F/S - Vic Metro/Sandringham - 183cm
2. George Wardlaw - Vic Metro/Oakleigh - 181cm
3. Adam D'Aloia - South Aus/WWT - 184cm
4. Elijah Tsatas - Vic Metro/Oakleigh - 184cm
5. Oliver Hollands - Vic Country/Murray - 182cm
6. Jhye Clark - Vic Country/Geelong - 180cm
7. Jack Cleaver - West Aus/Est Frem - 187cm
8. Harry Lemmey - South Aus/West Adel - 199cm(KPF)
9. Isaac Keeler - South Aus/North Adel - 197cm(Ruck/KPF)
10. Jed Hagan - West Aus/Est Frem - 174cm
11. Jaiden Magor - South Aus/Sth Adel - 185cm
12. Harry Sheezel - Vic Metro/Sandringham - 183cm
13. Jaspar Fletcher - Bris F/S - Queensland/Bris A
14. Max Michaelanny - South Aus/Norw - 190cm(potential KPD)
15. Seth Campbell - Tasmania - 179cm
16. Jackson Broadbent - West Aus/Peel - 205cm(Ruck)
17. Elijah Hewett - West Aus/Swan Dist - 186cm
18. Kane Bevan - West Aus/Wst Perth - 192cm
19. Kobe Ryan - South Aus/Wst Adel - 182cm
20. Jonti Schuback - Vic Country/Gipps - 183cm
21. Alex Condon - West Aus/Claremont - 201cm(Ruck)
22. Levi Fyfe - Queensland/Gold Coast A
23. Alwyn Davey Jnr - Ess F/S - Vic Metro
24. Matthew Jefferson - Vic Metro/Oakleigh - 193cm(KPF)
25. Jedd Busslinger - West Aus/East Perth - 195cm(KPD)
26. Nick Sadler - South Aus/Sturt - 179cm
27. Sam Gilbey - West Aus/Clarem - 185cm
28. Tyson Walls - South Aus/Norw - 171cm
29. Noah Long - Vic Country/Bend - 178cm
30. Luke Michael - West Aus/Wst Perth - 185cm
31. Harvey Howe - Vic Country/Gipps - 200cm(Ruck)
32. Lachlan Cowan - Tasmania - 186cm
33. Koby Cockshell - South Aus/Sth Adel - 195cm(KPD)
34. Blake Drury - Vic Metro/Oakleigh - 176cm
35. Luke Teal - Vic Metro/Oakleigh - 188cm
36. Aaron Cadman - Vic Country/GWV
37. Cooper Vickery - Vic Country/Gipps
38. Mattaes Phillipou - South Aus/WWT - 188cm
39. Max Clohesy - Vic Country/Murray
40. Kai Windsor - Vic Metro/Eastern - 178cm
41. Mitch Szybkowski - Vic Country/Dand
42. Brayden George - Vic Country/Murray
43. Jacob Konstanty - Vic Country/Gippsland
44. Brodie Tuck - South Aus/Central Dist - 193cm
45. Harry Barnett - South Aus/Wst Adel - 202cm(Ruck/KPD)
46. Jacob Evitt - West Aus/Subiaco - 179cm
47. Riley MacMillan - Queensland/Bris A
48. Cooper Harvey - NM F/S - Vic Metro/Northern - 179cm
49. Conrad Williams - Frem NGA - West Aus/Clare - 182cm
50. Will Verall - South Aus/Sth Adel - 200cm(Ruck)
Appreciated.

I am liking the options with the talls at this stage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back