Recommitted Tim English [contracted and staying at the Western Bulldogs]

Remove this Banner Ad

What exactly is English better at? According to supporters he is a what? A third forward who pinches in ruck? As a forward Lobb is better and id argue he is as a ruckman as well

They are completely different players despite some trying to say they are similar. Tim has a huge tank, is amazing below his knees for a big man but completely hates contact. If he was 10cm shorter, he’d probably be a gun outside midfielder or winger.
Lobb is in my eyes, a very handy tall forward who supposedly doesn’t wanna ruck. He’d cause a lot of headaches for defenders if he was our 2nd tall forward.

Yeah he does seem far too nice, but maybe he needs the pressure ?

I just don’t think you can teach killer instinct to someone who’s now 25. If a high ball came into richmonds defensive 50, what would Nank do? He’d smash the pack and try and spoil the ball to the boundary, would he not?

As an outsider looking in, English seems to have the misfortune of having grown to ruckman height but not having many traits that come with it.

He seems to look most comfortable forward and leading at the ball. He's still young I reckon has a fair career in front of him, so if the Dogs were looking to part with him for draft equity I think they'd get considerable interest.

I wonder if West Coast would include Darling in an offer. Adding Darling to Naughton and Bruce would be pretty deadly I would have thought, and gives WCE someone to plonk in the forward lines for years to come.

Unless he is desperate to go home, makes no sense for The Dogs to trade him at this stage. They have invested a lot into him and wouldn't get adequate compensation for his services at this stage (I would have thought)
Agree, but the rumour is he does want to go home. We’d be trading at a low. I don’t see any kind of win for the Dogs in that scenario.

Agree, but the rumour is he does want to go home. We’d be trading at a low. I don’t see any kind of win for the Dogs in that scenario.

Would Brander and an 2nd Rounder from the Eagles work for the Dogs ? I think he is worth a first round pick from the Eagles but I doubt they would give that up.

I just don’t think you can teach killer instinct to someone who’s now 25. If a high ball came into richmonds defensive 50, what would Nank do? He’d smash the pack and try and spoil the ball to the boundary, would he not?

And the ironic thing is English probably has more talent and a better body to do these acts as a ruckman, but doesn't have that competitive killer instinct.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Doggies should/will keep him but I'd do Lobb + a late second for English and a 3rd. We would only move Lobb if we got equivalent of a pick between 20-25.

So roughly pick 21 + pick 33 for English + pick 48.

Values English at that mid first rounder value.

The Doggies should/will keep him but I'd do Lobb + a late second for English and a 3rd. We would only move Lobb if we got equivalent of a pick between 20-25.

No thanks, you can keep Lobb.

Nah.
Just at an interesting juncture in his career.
Ruck/Fwd
Fwd/Ruck
Or
Somewhere else
I’d be keen to understand where English sees himself playing. If he wants to be a number 1 ruck he’s going to have put some serious work in. If he sees himself as a fwd/ruck then he’s at a club that I think will give him every opportunity and will try and get him support. I’m convinced we’ll bring in a ready to go number 1 ruck, nothing exciting but a solid citizen.

As an outsider looking in, English seems to have the misfortune of having grown to ruckman height but not having many traits that come with it.

He seems to look most comfortable forward and leading at the ball. He's still young I reckon has a fair career in front of him, so if the Dogs were looking to part with him for draft equity I think they'd get considerable interest.

I wonder if West Coast would include Darling in an offer. Adding Darling to Naughton and Bruce would be pretty deadly I would have thought, and gives WCE someone to plonk in the forward lines for years to come.

Include in an offer? Sure if one of the Dogs plethora of gun mids comes back the other way.

We have Bailey Williams coming through as a bit of an English 2.0. Listed as 199cm 99kg but I think he has grown a bit since drafted.

I'm not sold on English. He's 24 and has played 69 games in 5 seasons but still looks like he is finding his way. Ruckmen take time but I keep thinking he is a 21/22 year old. Not sure if Stef Martin is playing on next year but I think English needs to be a genuine #1 ruck. Early on Max Gawn was just a tall guy then from 24/25 onward he has been a superstar. But the same could be said for Daniel Currie, Jake Spencer, Keegan Brooksby etc. who didn't turn into stars.

I’d be keen to understand where English sees himself playing. If he wants to be a number 1 ruck he’s going to have put some serious work in. If he sees himself as a fwd/ruck then he’s at a club that I think will give him every opportunity and will try and get him support. I’m convinced we’ll bring in a ready to go number 1 ruck, nothing exciting but a solid citizen.
Those types are hard too find.
Landhams is available but he's on good coin apparently.
And your getting Darcy so you'll need points.

Trade Darling for English?

That is a shocker mate..............dead set!

English's trade value just dropped some more after that pretty ordinary grand final. Dees dominated when English rucked.

He may be a half decent 3rd tall but geez, from what was expected he just doesn't have the toughness to play ruck, even pinch hitting.

What would he get at the trade table?

Seems to be a knee jerk thread, he's only 24 which is very young for a ruck.

Has obvious deficiences but the Doggies have put in the hard yards developing him, why get rid of him?
Well I doubt they will, but he isn’t really developing all that much. Sure he is young and I don’t think anyone expects him to be dominating already but he is legitimately non competitive in the ruck far too often.

Showed some signs as a third option tall but eh he is just reallllly average still. Not a lost cause but I think the league will soon be reevaluating him as a player if they haven’t already.

Lol I am sure Freo would be quite happy to do that trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back