Who feels sorry for St Kilda - the only drought remaining!

Remove this Banner Ad

Feel for the supporters but not the Club.

The Saints would have been better off as an old VFA Club. Their admission along with North was an error.

The Club for much of its existence has been a stain. By way of example only this year has it sought to deal with child sexual assault issues on its watch.

really?

your team could be like garbage like in 2014 when you got the spoon and saints will struggle to get 15,000 vs North or any non vic club.

freo could finish bottom 4-6 like they did in 2016-18 and still draw crowds of 30-35,000 vs the likes of suns, gws and North.

Also as garbage as freo has been for most of their existence, remarkably has only one wooden spoon.

your team has 27 spoons. so enjoy shoving them all up your bum... I mean Kim Kardashian. lol

Such is life lol.
lol. You do realise your state has two teams in it yeah ? Don’t think that you do.

Are you confident that Clark and Coffield will prove better selections? Feels like the jury is still well and truly out on that double-up.
Over who ? As I understand it McCartin was taken over Pertracca, that’s a loss times one billion right there. And maybe billing’s I think over Bontempelli? Massive loss again.

The Saints would have been better off as an old VFA Club. Their admission along with North was an error.

The Club for much of its existence has been a stain. By way of example only this year has it sought to deal with child sexual assault issues on its watch.

Or maybe the AFL could give us countless leg ups to get us to a flag. Or is that only ok for Sydney?

Over who ? As I understand it McCartin was taken over Pertracca, that’s a loss times one billion right there. And maybe billing’s I think over Bontempelli? Massive loss again.
I realise that. I’m talking about how you feel about the development of those 2 players and whether or not they are progressing as you’d like considering that you would watch them every week. I’m not comparing them with their draft year peers, I was just trying to get some insight. From a distance it seems like they’re treading water and when you have a double go like that you’d hope that they might be a core component of your list going forward.

With 18 teams, I think a drought is probably about 2 cycles, so minimum 36 years, but to supporters, anything over 10 years would feel like a drought.

I realise that. I’m talking about how you feel about the development of those 2 players and whether or not they are progressing as you’d like considering that you would watch them every week. I’m not comparing them with their draft year peers, I was just trying to get some insight. From a distance it seems like they’re treading water and when you have a double go like that you’d hope that they might be a core component of your list going forward.
I’m afraid I don’t rate them very highly to be honest.

I lived slash worked down moorabbin way in late 70s early 80s. Goes without saying several mates were mad saints fans. My feelings towards them depend on the players and coaches at the time. When club legend Smithy came into coach there was great emotion and goodwill. Then there was a murderers row of wierd and wonderful coaches coming in out like punters at a hawhouse. And the infamous saints nightclub of the time added to that feeling. Baldock coming back was extremely hopeful, the great man needed not to do so. Jezza at one point was there, it was an exciting time, the Messiah he was called. But after a while, this perp line of coaches in and out made one realise, the club is fcuked at its core. The club has turned many of its fans my age to drink, gambling, lung cancer, and vague nights in the lock up. There was some professionalism it seemed at the time when the highly potent Grant came on board, followed by a couple of disastrous PreLims. Now with Ratten, my goodwill towards the saints is back again, i like Ratten, i like rattan furniture too, i hope he does well, but he does look weighted down by life's tragedy and a noncompliant footy team. A couple of years ago i wondered down the once familiar back streets of the Moorabbin home ground, the memories, the mammaries of the 70s flooding back. There is now a lovely treed park around the east side of the ground and one can walk out to ground uninhibited by fences. I stood at the rough spot where Jeff Ferring with a gale behind him marked his name down in perma marker by kicking that goal from the centre. I mosied over to the flank where mr collins friendly shoulder tap was met with instant retribution by robert muir. Retribution. Original Sin. I fear saints fans are doomed. But i'm praying for the current bloke to pull off a miracle.

I lived slash worked down moorabbin way in late 70s early 80s. Goes without saying several mates were mad saints fans. My feelings towards them depend on the players and coaches at the time. When club legend Smithy came into coach there was great emotion and goodwill. Then there was a murderers row of wierd and wonderful coaches coming in out like punters at a hawhouse. And the infamous saints nightclub of the time added to that feeling. Baldock coming back was extremely hopeful, the great man needed not to do so. Jezza at one point was there, it was an exciting time, the Messiah he was called. But after a while, this perp line of coaches in and out made one realise, the club is fcuked at its core. The club has turned many of its fans my age to drink, gambling, lung cancer, and vague nights in the lock up. There was some professionalism it seemed at the time when the highly potent Grant came on board, followed by a couple of disastrous PreLims. Now with Ratten, my goodwill towards the saints is back again, i like Ratten, i like rattan furniture too, i hope he does well, but he does look weighted down by life's tragedy and a noncompliant footy team. A couple of years ago i wondered down the once familiar back streets of the Moorabbin home ground, the memories, the mammaries of the 70s flooding back. There is now a lovely treed park around the east side of the ground and one can walk out to ground uninhibited by fences. I stood at the rough spot where Jeff Ferring with a gale behind him marked his name down in perma marker by kicking that goal from the centre. I mosied over to the flank where mr collins friendly shoulder tap was met with instant retribution by robert muir. Retribution. Original Sin. I fear saints fans are doomed. But i'm praying for the current bloke to pull off a miracle.
Hmm, quite the bizarre post in places. The club is not “****ed at the core”. That is not true. The days at Moorabbin were very special. Not because we were great because we were certainly not until the early 90’s. But the place had a special vibe , a certain atmosphere
I rarely missed a game there from the late 70’s till the last in 1992.
Tearing down absolutely everything at Moorabbin was sad. Yeah it was all old and dying , hell it was already in the 80’s, but still...
As modern and great as it maybe now facility wise, they stripped every ounce of soul and history out of that place, and I’m afraid it leaves me cold now.

St.kilda were one of the foundation clubs in 1897 you nuff nuff. North were admitted into the AFL in 1925. Therefore having as much to do with each other in this respect, as Dawn Fraser has with a medieval pitch fork.

Nah, injuries got us in 2005. Just too many to key personnel, at the worst time, while Sydney were like Melbourne this year, where they had about 1 injury all year and were able to pick the same team week after week, and they just outlasted us.

We were a better shot in 2004, but the crowd invasion after Gehrig kicked his 100th in the prelim probably cost us that flag. We were smashing them to that point. They hadn’t even been inside 50.

I have said thise before and I will say it again....

I dont know how long you have been a saints fan. But from 1965-2010, Saints could of easily won 3-4 maybe up to 6 Flags, Maybe more. Want me to explain?read on.... I have posted this before and Will again.

1965: Lost to essendon in that grand final by 35 points. Saints 9.16.70 to Essendon 14.21.105.

1966: Saints won this grand final by a point.

1968: Saints were bundled out in the 1st week as they finished 4th.

1970: This is a bit of a stretch. Saints beat south melbourne in the elim final. then got belted by the blues in the prelim final. Carlton lost to Collingwood by 10 points in the other final. Had Saints faced Collingwood in the prelim, it would of been 50-50 as Saints lost by 7 points in Moorabbin early in the season and by 10 points in Victoria Park late in the season.

1971: yep another grand final loss. Lead by 20 points a 3 quarter time. Lead 8.9.57 to hawks 5.7.37 at 3 quater time and lose 12.10.82 to 11.9.75.

1972: I know this might be a stetch..... But this is the 1st season where you had the final 5 rather than 4 finals spots. Saints finished 4th, beat the bombers in the 1st final, then beat collingwood by 3 goals in the semi final. Then lost narrowly to carlton in the prelim final by 16 points, Saints were leading by 5 points at half time and down by a goal by 3 quarter time. Also Carlton had a draw vs Richmond then lost by 50 points the next week then faced saints in the prelim final.

Had saints got up vs Carlton, how would they go vs the tigers in the 1972 grand final? In round 6 Saints won 24.21 165 to Richmonds 10.16.76 at morrabbin.

In round 17, Richmond won 23.15.153 to saints 11.15.81.

So I will leave that opinon up to you.

1973, Saints finished 5th and beat 4th placed essendon again in an elim final and lost to richmond in the next round.

So going by the Allan Jeans era of 1965-72. Saints could of won flags in 1965, 1966, 1970, 1971 and 1972

Then you got the last 30 or so years.

1997: Grand final. Saints were up by 2 goals at half time and lost 19.11.125 to 14.10.94.

2004: that prelim final vs Port. Wanganeen scores a tie breaking goal from a tight spot and port wins by 6 points. Had saints made the grand final, I think Brisbanes finals experience from 1995-97 and from 1999-2003 would of made the difference.

2005: Saints lead this prelim by 2 goals at 3 quarter time. Swans kicked 7.2 to 0.4 and swans win by 33 points. Had saints faced the eagles in that 2005 grand final, i see Riewoldt, gherig and milne kick 2-3 goals each and win by 3-5 goals despite the eagles superior mid field.

However.... if Saints win a flag in either 2004 or 2005, then Ross Lyon would not of been a saints coach in 2007.

Speaking of Ross Lyon....

2008: I technically should not count 2008 as they lost that prelim vs the hawks 18.10 to 9.10. Would they have beaten the cats in 2008? Unlkely.

2009: yep this grand final. Lead most of the day but choked in the final quarter. Saints scored 9.14.68. on a Fine day they would of got 14.9.93 or 15.8.98 and that was likely enough to win on a fine sunny day.

2010: yep that drawn grand final. Yes saints were down by 24 points at half time but fought their way back. Yeah we hear about the unlucky bounce infront of stephen Milne. He would of missed from 1 or 2 metres out in a slight angle.

So to sum it up.... If luck came into it.

Along with 1966, you could add 1965, 1971, 1972, 1997, 2009 and 2010.

I could of added 2004 and 2005, but that means ross lyon doesnt go to Fremantle.;):):cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In 2009, you forgot Hawkins obvious point that was awarded a goal late in the last quarter. No video review then. We was robbed.

Yes it's terrible.

Hopefully the AFL will engineer a flag for them next.

Here’s hoping they do. I know one thing I won’t be all defensive like Collingwood Sydney Western Bulldogs and Melbourne supporters I will gladly take it.

If you call Hawthorn taking a few years off to give other teams a fair run, before coming back with another threepeat in the 2020's a swerve

Then you're damn right, wooooooooooooo

Attachments

• images.jpeg.jpg
    images.jpeg.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 13
As a life long Melbourne fan, if I can't go and see Melbourne go back to back in person at the MCG next year, I think I would almost prefer St Kilda to win it if it was another bubble game. Only someone that has never seen a premiership, and has stuck through the tough years without giving up and changing to Hathorne or Essendon, knows what it's like.

With 18 teams, I think a drought is probably about 2 cycles, so minimum 36 years, but to supporters, anything over 10 years would feel like a drought.
I kind of agree

Finals within 9 years
GF attempt within 18 years
GF win within 36 years

lol. You do realise your state has two teams in it yeah ? Don’t think that you do.

Lets not forget that his club is sloppy seconds, effectively the soggy sao of 22 well endowed unwanted Victorian southerners, transplanted into NRL paradise to spin its wheels for entirety. A hated little sibling to a future powerhouse from the western part of town.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back