Alright my guesses...
B&F - Hopper
R/UP - Kelly
3rd - TFG
Best Young Player - Tom Green
Biggest Heart - Shane Mumford
Coaches Trophy - Sam Taylor
Most Improved - Isaac Cumming

If anyone deserves life membership from this group it is probably Mumford and or Davis as both are fast approaching the end to their career and been great servants to the club

If anyone deserves life membership from this group it is probably Mumford and or Davis as both are fast approaching the end to their career and been great servants to the club

Davis got life membership after (I think) Round 3 last year - anyway 19 games ago he got his Life Membership of the club

Mummy is 34 games short, but depending on his coaching contribution over the next few years, he might be awarded it - but you gotta remember, not even Al McConnell is a life member yet - and if anyone should be it’s him.

Davis got life membership after (I think) Round 3 last year - anyway 19 games ago he got his Life Membership of the club

Mummy is 34 games short, but depending on his coaching contribution over the next few years, he might be awarded it - but you gotta remember, not even Al McConnell is a life member yet - and if anyone should be it’s him.

Yep fair call. Wasn’t sure what the criteria was. I agree with you though

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Alright my guesses...
B&F - Hopper
R/UP - Kelly
3rd - TFG
Best Young Player - Tom Green
Biggest Heart - Shane Mumford
Coaches Trophy - Sam Taylor
Most Improved - Isaac Cumming

recon you nailed them all here

If you are a player its 150 games

If you are a staffer Im not really sure... seems ambiguous

player or coach for 150 (Leon got his last year too)

“the criteria for becoming a Life Member is to play or coach 150 games for the club or make a significant off-field contribution over a long period of time”

and I assume it’s only after (or as) they leave.

Sheedy (2015) - for obvious reasons
Christine Cawsey (2021) - Rooty Hill High principal who was on the board before they even came up with the name Team GWS, let alone the Giants
Peter Taylor (2021) - who headed up GWS4ACT - got thousands signed up and helped make Canberra viable for us (also in the ACTAFL Hall of Fame)

I still think Al McConnell should be given his Life Membership sooner rather than later - and then the Lamberts & Gavin Robertson.
I also assume Tony Shepherd & Dave Matthews will get theirs in due course.

but the best mark wasn’t available to vote for ☹☹☹☹
View attachment 1238357
They had to make it fair.

Same reason they didn't put in Mumford's goals.

The big news... he kicked four? I only remember two. Time to go looking for highlights. His highest goals per game in almost a decade.

Didn’t know where to start this conversation guys but thought I would in here.

Who will be our first Brownlow medallist? After watching the count last night I had this thought. We have gun players such as Kelly, Hopper, Greene, Whitfield, Taranto, Ward as possible candidates over the next few years.

Though my money would be on Tom Green. I believe he possess the game which can take him all the way to the highest individual honour in the game. Similar to Clayton Oliver and Wines in winning the ball at the coal face who both polled really well.

Be interested to hear your thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our first Brownlow medallist may not have even started playing yet. The Brownlow has a degree of luck to it, because it rewards a good year but also good games in the right games.

Tom Green could have the game to do it, but so could Kelly, Cogs, or most first choice midfielders with a high ceiling on a good team.

Ollie Wines was Port's first Brownlow medallist - how many years after they joined the comp? As dlanod said, there's a degree of luck involved, some beneficence from the umpires (some of the voting patterns last night didn't really match the reality of the games - umpires see what they want to see to some extent).

But ultimately, someone needs to have a ******* outstanding year, no injuries, good start to the season (so there's a degree of chatter about how good they're going) and then continue on at a pretty high level.

Toby will never win it; I doubt that Lachie will. One of the grunts - Tom Green, Tim Taranto, Josh Kelly or Jacob Hopper - if they have a really good year is most likely. Best bet at the moment, I reckon, would be Tom Green ... just that he's building, he has a rep, he's got some Brownlow votes pretty early in his career, he's stylistically good. Tim Taranto probably next most likely - probably won more than his fair share last night, so umpires looked favourably upon him, and if he can get a balance of winning ball and going forward and kicking goals regularly, that could do it for him.

the trouble with winning one is the even split from our midfield

as a team we finished 8th in brownlow voting, but individually Hops & TT only finished 19th

the dogs were 3rd over all with Bont 2nd and their next best McCrea on 14 behind both our leaders in 23rd

Petracca and Gawn basically robbed Oliver of the win - it’s one thing to have one other team mate taking votes, it’s another to have two or three.

Brisbane (23,14,10)
Melbourne (31,23,16)
Port Adelaide (36,25,11)
GWS (15,15,11)

The only clubs with 3 players in double figures

Geelong who finished with the 5th highest team total only had one player in double figures (Guthrie 18) - very even split.

it’s that even split that will probably rob us of a winner for a while.

First season way back at Manuka, Toby Greene had a high possession game, and I thought, here's a Giants Brownlow medallist.(was playing in the midfield back then).
Still hoping he can turn his issues around, and be a best & fairest.

the trouble with winning one is the even split from our midfield

as a team we finished 8th in brownlow voting, but individually Hops & TT only finished 19th

the dogs were 3rd over all with Bont 2nd and their next best McCrea on 14 behind both our leaders in 23rd

Petracca and Gawn basically robbed Oliver of the win - it’s one thing to have one other team mate taking votes, it’s another to have two or three.

Brisbane (23,14,10)
Melbourne (31,23,16)
Port Adelaide (36,25,11)
GWS (15,15,11)

The only clubs with 3 players in double figures

Geelong who finished with the 5th highest team total only had one player in double figures (Guthrie 18) - very even split.

it’s that even split that will probably rob us of a winner for a while.
Yes and no. I would normally have agreed with this 100%, but last night Boak scored the highest 'second place getter' votes for a club in history behind the winner. ANd their third place-getter took 11, the same as our third place-getter.

So an ''even split'' can be overcome.

What it needs is the team having a great year - big wins so that guys are taking a lot of 3 & 2 point places ... not 1s & 2s here and there (see Jack Steele). And while there might be multiple good players, 1 guy has to have an absolutely stand out year such that he catches the umps attention evenly throughout the year , and they shower him with 3s, even if he wasn't really the BOG.

Summing up the year or stepping down?
8:03pm: Final address from captain Stephen Coniglio
Kevin Sheedy Medal to be Live Streamed (gwsgiants.com.au)

There was an article in the HUN a couple of days ago. Supposedly some comments about the captaincy and the moving west rumours. Behind a paywall, so I couldn't read it.

Anyone able to penetrate the paywall and read what it said?

If its this piece then its mainly about his sister moving to Sydney and chasing a music career:

GWS captain Stephen Coniglio has broken his silence on rumours of a move east.
Coniglio’s little sister is deciding whether to leave the family home in Perth and chase her lifelong dream of singing professionally on the international stage.
Little sister Lauren is eyeing off a move to Sydney, with the city’s music scene offering Australia’s best singers and songwriters for Lauren to collaborate with and work alongside.
Lauren’s big brother has called on his contacts in the music world to open doors for his 22-year-old sister, to enable her the best pathway to future success.
Sheahan Ink: Stephen Coniglio has a new sister act, as Anthony Koutoufides calls for John Elliott respect | Daily Telegraph

so if he was to go back to perth, he’d be leaving his younger sister high and dry in Sydney. more reason for him to stay I’d say.
Indeed, you'd think he's stay with that in mind. Thanks captainMyCaptain.

However, there was a second one too, a day or so before or after that one you've posted, which was the one that supposedly had some comments about the captaincy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back