Recommitted Ben Long [contracted and staying at St Kilda]

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United

Interesting. Wouldn't mind Carlton having a crack at Long, but probably won't have the draft capital to get a deal done with the Saints, especially as he is
Contracted.

The Essendon link makes sense in that aside from the family ties, they badly need a hard nut/enforcer like Long.

Bit surprised St Kilda are open to trading him TBH.

Couple of late picks to get our NGA’s prospects in the door should do it.

He’s a handy when up and running but doesn’t really have a spot with the Saints anymore as either a half back or half forward.
That's interesting, I was thinking the fact he's contracted would mean we'd probably not have the capital to get him. We have two third round picks, I suppose one of those would get him over the line? The second one probably ends up around the 300 point mark after the Daicos, Darcy and Fahey bids, assuming Owens is the first NGA bid on

That's interesting, I was thinking the fact he's contracted would mean we'd probably not have the capital to get him. We have two third round picks, I suppose one of those would get him over the line? The second one probably ends up around the 300 point mark after the Daicos, Darcy and Fahey bids, assuming Owens is the first NGA bid on

He adds some toughness/aggression but I think he’s one guy on our list that we could cover.

Others might have a different view I am sure.

Happy to see him go for a pick 30-40 if possible.
That will turn into Windhager or Owens nicely.

I don't actually know if Ben Long would feature in the top 200 players in the competition.

Not even trolling. I don't know how you value a player like him.

I don't actually know if Ben Long would feature in the top 200 players in the competition.

Not even trolling. I don't know how you value a player like him.
Top 200 is a pretty high bar. It means you're top 12 at every club.

Adds hardness and aggression. I think he is a player and more talented than a player like Hind who they moved on previously. I hope Geelong pick him up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've got the impression he's a bit of a grub on field. Would otherwise have thought he's someone we'd be interested in given his history with the Dogs, and having the attributes we want for the side going forward (aggression, speed).

What's got him out of favour at the Saints?

I've got the impression he's a bit of a grub on field. Would otherwise have thought he's someone we'd be interested in given his history with the Dogs, and having the attributes we want for the side going forward (aggression, speed).

I think it is more they need someone to trade to gain a player or two or possibly want points for possibly matching 2 NGA selections (finally have some with our postage stamp sized zone). Though just our luck one will go top 20 and we miss out anyway due to the rule change.

Dunstan may not generate much FA compo. So of the players good enough to make our first 22 in 2022 that we can do without that other clubs may want, and so can trade away, it is probably Long and Battle.

Long has played mainly back or forward. Paton returns from injury in 2022, as does Geary. Up forward Gresham will be back and he will play forward and midfield. Higgins went well and should be better in 2022 as will be fitter, and then they have Butler.

With Battle, Highmore emerged out of no where this year down back and we already have Wilkie, and Sharman from the mid season draft excited everyone once he got into the seniors. Wood looked ok as the backup.

Mainly just poor form pushing him out of the 22, and if clubs are interested in him we could do with the pick.

Sinclair, Webster and Hill all come into defence this year which pushed him out after a poor start to the season. He was then used as sub a lot and struggled. Then first game after the bye, Billings was a late out minutes before running out so Long was then thrown forward at the last minute to cover him, looked really dangerous and that lasted about 1 month before he started to have little impact with both his pressure and disposal.

Isn’t it being reported that other clubs have come knocking, rather than being shopped around by the club?
I have no problem other clubs asking the question, but it depends on what they want to hear from the player or their current club.
Yes clubs have come knocking it was said he wants to stay with the saints

so wrong

hard at it, sometimes he gets it wrong, not dirty

I remember watching him live in the VFL for Footscray a few years ago, thought he was an absolute jet. If we were keen he’d be playing forward but this smells like early trade week BS to be honest…

The hits on Macrae and Darcy say otherwise
Darcy was unfortunate, Darcy fell fwd and down, Ben just didn't have time to react
as for McRae, the only player ever suspended for a potential injury. McRae didn't even get a concussion test, didn't need any treatment whatsoever.

and yet Hunter Clarke can have his jaw broken in 3 places by high contact and nothing.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back