EPL Matchday 6 - On Optus Sport

Hopefully you don't and you can duke it out with Norwich for top spot next season in the Championship.

For someone who bemoaned the state of his club only a couple of weeks ago you change your tune pretty quickly. ;)

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
For someone who bemoaned the state of his club only a couple of weeks ago you change your tune pretty quickly. ;)
Just a bit of banter.

Need to enjoy it while I can before we turn to s**t again and Hawkman is basking in our shitness.

And lets be honest they have only beaten Norwich, Burnley and Tottenham. Not really much quality in that lot

Can only beat who is in front of you.

How did that go for you guys this week? :D

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Sprinting back to atone for giving the ball away is kind of what you’d expect in a situation like that I would’ve thought.

Yes, but also look at the moments before that. He had been deep in his own half winning a loose ball, then laying it off to the wing before sprinting to join the attack. Then after his mistake he sprinted all the way back to his own penalty area to make a desperate challenge. He's not in best form but I wouldn't say he's 'checked out'.

Yes, but also look at the moments before that. He had been deep in his own half winning a loose ball, then laying it off to the wing before sprinting to join the attack. Then after his mistake he sprinted all the way back to his own penalty area to make a desperate challenge. He's not in best form but I wouldn't say he's 'checked out'.

He's absolutely checked out. Just because he doesn't literally stroll around the park doesn't mean he isn't.

So what are you going off if not his work ethic?

You've managed to find maybe 1 or 2 examples of 'Kane ran hard' in order to ignore the other 88 minutes of the match.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
You've managed to find maybe 1 or 2 examples of 'Kane ran hard' in order to ignore the other 88 minutes of the match.

It's not generally the main forward's job to 'run hard' but I saw him dropping deep quite often and tracking back. He was just having a stinky game.

Despite that, I saw him have a good shot into the corner well saved by Ramsdale. He put a header just wide that he usually would have scored. He put another chance just wide after a well timed run and great first touch.

We've seen these quiet periods from Kane a few times before, then he starts banging in the goals and making assists.

glenferry23

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, New York Yankees

I would suggest the examples you’ve cited are expected of most players. That’s fine, that’s your opinion. Mine differs.

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Maupay got booked for taunting the Palace fans didn't he? No need for Zaha to get involved.

That Cucurella looks alright.

Maupay didn't get booked but Sanchez did when he ran down the pitch to celebrate and got into a tiff with some Palace.

We weren't much chop without Bissouma playing though.

Cuc looks ok, got a bit of pace and likes to take players on. Something we needed on the left side.

So what are you going off if not his work ethic?
Jury still out for mine. We are 18th to 20th in most stat metrics.

Supply is a big issue. The midfield cannot get the ball forward for a striker to do anything with it.

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
I absolutely love Maupay, one of the best characters in the game. And there aren’t too many around anymore.

Certainly a master troll.

One of those players that you love him if he's on your team but if he was on the other team you'd want to punch him in the face.

He's great fun to watch his antics.

That’s fine, that’s your opinion. Mine differs
As does yours to mine.

Far too premature to make any definitive statements other than this team is not being used to its strengths.

A 3 man midfield comprising of pure 6s and no.8s and even a no.10 plays to no one’s strength. We’ve either played too many DM’s and not been able to move the ball forward, or too many B2B and been scored against heavily. Lo Celso is a bust that doesn’t play like his international self. Ndombele is unfit and Dele (contrary to the puddle deep shallow analysis found on Bigfooty Association Football) has not played in his position for over two years, and has not been the same since selling the irreplaceable Mousa Dembele.

47CE444E-A7B2-4E09-A4D2-994A2A6E9954.png

The main issues are far further afield than the pointless debate over being checked out or not. We can’t get any forwards any supply.

Back