Fremantle
Walker Pearce Logue
Ryan Cox Young
Aish Brayshaw Frederick
Sturt Treacy Henry
Schultz Taberner Lobb

Darcy Fyfe Serong

Mundy, Switkowski, Tucker, Chapman

Backline self explanatory, Pearce, Cox and Logue have different strengths and weaknesses and complement each other beautifully. They all have further development left as well. The Centre Half line all have beautiful kicking skills, combined with Walker's run will let us play how JL wants out of the backline.

Wings: In this 22 I expect Aish, Frederick, Henry, Chapman, Young and even Switkowski to be able to play wing depending on circumstance and positions in game. I think it's Henry's position long-term, he has the ability to run in between players up the ground with his agility. I've gone with Aish as a well rounded skinny side winger who can run both ways, defend and mark overhead. His skills are neat and he isn't bad at the contest for a guy his size. Freddie on the other hand can be an all time fat side winger, no one can catch him on the lead or with ball in hand. Teams will have to put work in to him and this will create opportunities for other players in the team.

Mids: self explanatory, Fyfe is getting on so I'd swap him and Mundy around in-game, both are a little slow defensively and they should play an even mix of inside outside. If you look through my posts I am like a broken record re slimming Fyfe down for longevity and getting across the ground. Let Brayshaw and Serong be the bulls, if we are in a tight game he can go inside and do some damage but its a long season and we need to conserve him. Tucker is in the team to play as a hard running (both ways) mid, but with a caveat. If he has a big off season, he rounds our midfield out, he can (prior to 2021- hopefully an aberration) defend, brush off tackles and kick goals on the run with his big body. We were singing his praises in early 2020.

Forwards: Our weakest line but also the line that should naturally improve the most. Hopefully Sturt gets his body right because he has shown ability to compete as a forward from game 1 and adds a great point of difference to our forward line. If Henry improves by just 5% every year he'll be a hell of a player, his agility and footskills are great and I noticed him take a few marks this year where he was out of position. He is a pure setshot from anywhere within 55 metres. He can leap too- if he takes that mark in quarter 1 of the derby and converts, I think the Eagles say "f**k this" and we win by 50 instead of 15 or whatever it was.

Treacy is another one that only needs to improve by 5% to be a good player, he's a really pure forward and brings the heat. average .9 goals this season, I think he will kick 27 goals next year. Tabs is a slow burn or a fine wine (choose your metaphor) and keeps getting better, I think he will improve net year, albeit mildly. Schultz is a hard worker and a jack of all trades, useful to have in the forward line.

Bench: Switta running around putting on pressure up forward and in the midfield for bursts, Chapman playing CHB and wing.

Overall I think we play finals, but again we are going to be a bit inefficient going i50. A Cerra-type player would be really helpful in this regard. Our accuracy at goal depends on the proportion of our goals kicked by Treacy and Henry, if they are used a lot our accuracy will increase.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Based off what’s been done so far Valente, NOD and Western or not in our top 35 to start the season. Acquisitions from trade period and most likely picks 8 and 10 depending on position will all start ahead of them. Things may change quickly over the pre season and/or early in the season though.
Given those 3 are all midfielders (O'Driscoll an experienced hbf-er, Western seeming to be perceived as having forward potential) how they are rated against the incoming picks it makes for an interesting early start for the season.

Joose

Club Legend
Jul 23, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
If my dream( and realistic) off season came pass and in the extremely unlikely event of a fully fit list my round 1 22 would be :

Ryan-Pearce-Logue
Young-Cox-Walker
Clark-Fyfe-NWM
Sturt-Taberner-Walters
JVR-Lobb-Switta

Darcy-Brayshaw-Serong

Mundy-Schultz-Aish-Chapman

Emerg: Freddy, Hamling, Colyer, Wilson, Tucker

Quite a gifted side on paper. Hard to leave out Hamling, Tucker and Wilson.

malpaso

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Kansas City Royals
If my dream( and realistic) off season came pass and in the extremely unlikely event of a fully fit list my round 1 22 would be :

Ryan-Pearce-Logue
Young-Cox-Walker
Clark-Fyfe-NWM
Sturt-Taberner-Walters
JVR-Lobb-Switta

Darcy-Brayshaw-Serong

Treacy and Freddy are not playing for Peel.

Joose

Club Legend
Jul 23, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Treacy and Freddy are not playing for Peel.
Treacy and Freddy will play for Peel if there are better options. Both did some good things this year but go missing a awful lot. Especially Treacy.

We don't get much WAFL news here in Vic, how did O'Driscoll go this year? He was someone I wanted us to have a look at last year, haven't heard anything about him this year. People don't see him making it into the side next year?

Joose

Club Legend
Jul 23, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
We don't get much WAFL news here in Vic, how did O'Driscoll go this year? He was someone I wanted us to have a look at last year, haven't heard anything about him this year. People don't see him making it into the side next year?
Had a slow start due to injury recovery, playing mostly of HBF.

Later in the year started to show a bit when moved up the ground.

LAST 10 MATCHES
ROUNDGRADEOPPOSITIONKHDMTHOFFFAGB
Round 22, 2021LeagueSubiaco89173702010
Round 21, 2021LeaguePerth38111200100
Round 16, 2021LeagueWest Perth136192102000
Round 15, 2021LeagueClaremont97165301101
Round 12, 2021LeagueEast Perth15112610500002
Round 10, 2021LeagueClaremont64104100000
Round 9, 2021LeagueSwan Districts146208100100
Round 8, 2021LeagueSubiaco813214300001
Round 7, 2021LeagueWest Perth84123300300
Round 6, 2021LeaguePerth106164102100

Mundy seemed to use his youth stealing powers to strip away all his ability for the 1st games at Peel in the year (seriously, he was atrocious the first 4 or so games).

He got progressively better and better as the year went on and I believe JL was on record saying he was close towards the end of the year. I'd definitely expect him to get a game sometime next year, especially with Cerra leaving, but cant have him in the side as it stands

Mundy seemed to use his youth stealing powers to strip away all his ability for the 1st games at Peel in the year (seriously, he was atrocious the first 4 or so games).

He got progressively better and better as the year went on and I believe JL was on record saying he was close towards the end of the year. I'd definitely expect him to get a game sometime next year, especially with Cerra leaving, but cant have him in the side as it stands

Thanks for the info. Are Freo developing him to play midfield or defender? He played a bit of both as a kid. Hopefully he has a big pre-season.

Thanks for the info. Are Freo developing him to play midfield or defender? He played a bit of both as a kid. Hopefully he has a big pre-season.
We seem to have a foot in each door but long term goal is midfield/wing I think. Started at half back before moving to wing later in the year

We seem to have a foot in each door but long term goal is midfield/wing I think. Started at half back before moving to wing later in the year

I think with the strength of the Freo midfield, particularly on the inside, it would make a lot of sense to have young mids develop other roles. He has the athletic attributes to play a variety of roles, he has the speed and endurance to play some roles that are otherwise hard to play for a lot of kids.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle

Ryan-Pearce-Logue
Young-Cox-Walker
Clark-Fyfe-NWM
Sturt-Taberner-Walters
JVR-Lobb-Switta

Darcy-Brayshaw-Serong

So we take NWM and JVR with our first two picks? And then we have Treacy sitting it out?

Wanganeen-Millera looks like he may need some wafl development.

JVR and Treacy are a bit similar, but Treacy would be ahead at the start of the season.

I would be disappointed if O'Driscoll doesn't come hard after a big pre-season.

So we take NWM and JVR with our first two picks? And then we have Treacy sitting it out?

JVR and Treacy are a bit similar, but Treacy would be ahead at the start of the season.

I know his size is an issue but I wouldnt be surprised to see NWM play AFL pretty earlier where ever he goes, his ability to move the ball will translate pretty easily, just a question on whether it's worth forfeiting any kind of contested ability from one player for a while

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
I know his size is an issue but I wouldnt be surprised to see NWM play AFL pretty earlier where ever he goes, his ability to move the ball will translate pretty easily, just a question on whether it's worth forfeiting any kind of contested ability from one player for a while
Even so, I'd be disappointed if two years in Henry doesn't start before him.

wakojako

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 15, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Even so, I'd be disappointed if two years in Henry doesn't start before him.
Henry needs to have a big pre season and continued mentorship from our indigenous team. When he came to the club he acted as if he was better than what he was. He has made progreas but I still think he needs a kick up the ass Lyon style.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Henry needs to have a big pre season and continued mentorship from our indigenous team. When he came to the club he acted as if he was better than what he was. He has made progreas but I still think he needs a kick up the ass Lyon style.
You can denigrate one of our young players all you like, but if we draft Wanganeen-Millera and he is in the best 22 in round 1 ahead of him that will be a massive call.

Happy to wager a Bintang that it doesn't happen.

Swiggy

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle

who would you rather? JVR or Amiss?

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
who would you rather? JVR or Amiss?
Sorry, wasn't really criticism of you liking those two players. I do too. It highlights a bit of similarity between JVR and Treacy, with that perhaps not making them the ideal forward combo?

I think Treacy had an amazing debut season coming out of Victoria during covid. I think he should be more or less locked into the 22. His mobility and aggression is something we need forward, and would like to see him playing as a non KPF for now.

At the moment I am flip flopping on who we should target in the draft. Happy with either JVR or Amiss, but today it's Amiss.

Jan 18, 2002
A bay at Rotto
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Rottnest
You can denigrate one of our young players all you like, but if we draft Wanganeen-Millera and he is in the best 22 in round 1 ahead of him that will be a massive call.

Happy to wager a Bintang that it doesn't happen.

I don’t think the word denigrate is right, all they were saying is that Henry needs to extract the digit.

That’s a rev up, not a put down.

arsesmart

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don’t think the word denigrate is right, all they were saying is that Henry needs to extract the digit.

That’s a rev up, not a put down.
"Extract the digit" based on what exactly? By all accounts from the club, Henry had a ripping preseason this year.

wakojako

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 15, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
"Extract the digit" based on what exactly? By all accounts from the club, Henry had a ripping preseason this year.
He had a ripping preseason and his form has been average (which is fine since he's still relatively young). He has all the skill in the world but to reach that next level, I think he needs a little fatherly love from sonny and our other indigenous boys.

Back