• He'll burn down Bigfooty

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • Who is Darren Burgess?

Votes: 13 35.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

montypython-gifglobe-com-l27tdnmytgtv-gif.1248198

gfycat-com-monty-python-insult-mother-hamster-e-gif.1248197

Credit to the club for going out and getting the best here, even if he wanted to come back to SA for a while anyway, still had to be willing to get it done.

I don't expect we'll see overnight success purely because of this, but it seems we're doing a lot more things right.

Will hopefully fast forward a lot of young players who have come in and will continue to come in.

I think what we know now is that this area gets a tick, if other things aren't working, at least fitness won't be another thing we need to fix.
I agree. It also was a real shame that we could not get Neil Balme this time round..our set up would then have had the ring of being the best as Fagan told us he wanted it to be (just didn't occur under his watch). We might also be looking back on getting both Olsen and Silvers as being the beginning of great things to come - fingers crossed

Credit to the club for going out and getting the best here, even if he wanted to come back to SA for a while anyway, still had to be willing to get it done.

I don't expect we'll see overnight success purely because of this, but it seems we're doing a lot more things right.

Will hopefully fast forward a lot of young players who have come in and will continue to come in.

I think what we know now is that this area gets a tick, if other things aren't working, at least fitness won't be another thing we need to fix.
Definitely don't think it'll be something where there is a massive noticeable difference in 2022, much like we saw with Melbourne it may take a couple of pre-seasons to really start noticing the difference for a few players.

It's definitely exciting to see what he could do with a guy like Petracca and then potentially getting to work on a guy like Fogarty.

Just announced. My first thread ever created
More details on AFC website

Adelaide has bolstered its high performance team by securing experienced and highly regarded industry professional Darren Burgess.

Burgess joins the Crows as High Performance Manager after spending the past two seasons with this year’s premiers Melbourne.

Prior to that he worked with English Premier League clubs Arsenal, where he was director of high performance, and Liverpool as head of fitness and conditioning, and had two stints with Port Adelaide.

He has also previously been head of fitness with the Football Federation of Australia, working with the Socceroos.

Burgess will have oversight across Adelaide’s AFL and AFLW programs in what Crows Head of Football Adam Kelly described as a major off-field boost.”
If someone had mod powers, they could delete all the other threads and claim to be first...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There seems to be an overabundance of Darren Burgess threads, I think swift action needs to be taken to stamp out this blight on our board.

Also, how good is it to have an absolutely elite operator on board?
Have you done a count?

Seriously - it's hard to identify a place where Adelaide haven't improved off-field, since the Dunstall Review.
  • Olsen is a clear & massive upgrade on Chapman, with a much stronger focus on fixing the football department.
  • Silvers is an upgrade on Fagan, for similar reasons. Fagan was outstanding in building the club's financial base (we're yet to see whether Silvers has the same skills in this area), but Fagan's desire to widen the club's base (Baseball, eSports) came at the cost of losing focus on the most important thing - success in the AFL.
  • Nicks et. al. are a huge upgrade on Pyke and his assistants. Only Clarke remains from that era. Literally every single appointment has been an upgrade on the person who departed.
  • Burgess is a massive upgrade on Hass (and Burton before him). The difference here is like that of night & day.
Only Roo remains, of the old guard - and it's fair to say that my feelings about his (post-retirement) contributions are mixed. I think he played a large part in sinking us into the morass we found ourselves in, in 2018-19. His "jobs for the boys" appointment of Burton was an absolute disaster. I also think he's played a key role in fixing the mess since then. I am 100% certain that everything he does is for the betterment of the club, in his eyes - I'm just not so certain about his judgement in making those decisions.

It's fair to say that Adelaide had been drifting in the wilderness for a long time. I think the club has finally regained its focus, and appointed the right people. These changes won't necessarily guarantee success, but the have significantly enhanced our chances of achieving it.

Last edited:
Back