Your "I Don't Get It" Band

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Every album after Justice is dead to me.... I played that album to death when it was released, I was horrified when I first heard The Black album... Goodbye teenage angst ! , Hello commercial sh*te !

You wouldn't be alone there, though they've replaced you with 10 other fans probably.

Definitely my favourite era is RTL/MOP/AJFA but the Black album is still a good listen, Load is an underrated album as well.

St Anger really is a bag of s**t though

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
If you don’t like Janis, you don’t understand the Blues.

Concur, there were some awesome songwriters and artists during the 60's and 70's that shaped and influenced future music far more than some people realize.

Just to name a few women (and not the most famous artists) of that era; Patti Smith, Nina Simone, Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell, Carole King, Karen Carpenter, Dione Warwick - here's another:

Last edited:

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Concur, there were some awesome songwriters and artists during the 60's and 70's that shaped and influenced future music far more than some people realize.

Just to name a few women (and not the most famous artists) of that era; Patti Smith, Nina Simone, Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell, Carole King, Karen Carpenter, Dione Warwick - here's another:

I don't know man, you've just listed some incredibly famous superstars from that era!

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
I don't know man, you've just listed some incredibly famous superstars from that era!

Agree, for those that know the era well - but the better known singer/songwriters/recording artists include; Aretha Franklin, Diana Ross, Carly Simon, Cher, Tina Turner, Roberta Flack, Joan Armatrading, Linda Ronstadt, Stevie Nicks...

Walter H White

All Australian
Nov 22, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Liverpool
Good country is great!
Bad country is ******* horrible. (Like any genre really)
I must admit I didn’t like it until a bit later in life, but there is some great stuff out there.
This is an example. The first song he ever wrote apparently.
I first heard it on the tv series ‘Ozark’ and just had to find it.
Yeah, his voice sounds very ‘country’ but such dark lyrics.

One of the greats. One of my favourites:

Fare Thee Well, Miss Carousel

Jul 1, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fulham, 76ers, Cubs, Bills
Radiohead are divisive. There is not one single thing pop or entertainment about them and they don’t give a fu**. I can see why people do not like them or get them. They just make their music. My fav band of all time but I doubt I know anyone else who is much of a fan.

I think there is also the issue that they are not necessarily even trying to put on “a show”. They are just doing their thing and you can take it or or leave it.

I always find this fascinating. No one expects Leonard Cohen to get people dancing in the aisles.

And Coldplay are the complete opposite. The entire thing is a show. The whole thing is pop and show biz and get them dancing in the aisles. Coldplay have some great tunes but at the end of the day it is commercial in every way from painting your pianos and guitars to match the album themes (pure sacrilege and a crime against guitars) to preplanned marketing JV’s.

I think everyone gets Coldplay - it is what it is - pure pop.

Absolutely brilliant band live. 2nd only to Springsteen IMO.
Changing the set completely night to night, not afraid of making things interesting. Fantastic performers.

OK Computer still sounds amazing 25 years later - actually sounds more modern each year.

The Bends sounds great, but also like it's stuck in 2000 (I get it was realised in 1995), with Coldplay, Keane, Travis et al. Great album, but seemed to spawn a hell of a lot of diet coke pop rock bands.

Amnesiac is probably the only album that sounds remotely dated to me, but again, I think that is more based around the kinds of artists they were borrowing from. Portishead, Nightmares On Wax. The perfect late night electro-jazz album. Life In A Glass House is a Top 10 Radiohead track.

:thumbsu:

OKC will remain timeless. But agree Amnesiac and Bends were of their time. In Rainbows will probably similarly remain timeless, though not quite as much as OKC.

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
The Stones? Really? Sorry, have to disagree hard on that one.
Have a few listens to Sticky Fingers and tell me there ain’t brilliance running all the way through!

My older sister became a massive Stones fan and told me this song sounded like nothing else when it was released.

I mean, imagine being 15 years old and hearing this for the first time - in 1968..?

Some bloke called Lennon, who is in the audience, seems to think this was pretty good too...

Last edited:

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
The 18 to 23 year olds at work talk as if Tones and I is the second coming of the Beatles or Elvis. I don't get it.

Aside from the subjectivity of ones musical taste, I think the younger generation's 'celebration of mediocrity' is also at play here.

Toni Watson no doubt has talent, but the reality is, she's thus far simply produced one and half hit songs, one album, performed at a few local festivals, went to US for a few gigs and then, thanks mainly to Covid restrictions has not been able to do much else.

Also, in a ruthless industry always looking to promote the next 'diva', what is not helping her potential success is she is carrying some extra kilo's and above the shoulders the 'Janis Joplin look' is always a hard sell.

Having said that, her rags to riches story is marketable and if she can produce a few more catchy tunes to a niche market and earn a decent living, then good luck to her...

Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
Aside from the subjectivity of ones musical taste, I think the younger generation's 'celebration of mediocrity' is also at play here.

Toni Watson no doubt has talent, but the reality is, she's thus far simply produced one and half hit songs, one album, performed at a few local festivals, went to US for a few gigs and then, thanks mainly to Covid restrictions has not been able to do much else.

Also, in a ruthless industry always looking to promote the next 'diva', what is not helping her potential success is she is carrying some extra kilo's and above the shoulders the 'Janis Joplin look' is always a hard sell.

Having said that, her rags to riches story is marketable and if she can produce a few more catchy tunes to a niche market and earn a decent living, then good luck to her...
For what its worth, I don't hate her and I don't think her music is as bad as others say it is, I just find it interesting how they hype her up compared to her contemporaries that have bigger libraries. I can understand the appeal for say, Dua Lipa.

mr bagcroft

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Rolling stones,

Overblown out of tune garage band that havent written anything worth a pinch of s**t since 1984, possibly earlier.

mr bagcroft

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Right at the moment I could add any contemporary country - particularly American - band or singer.
How the f*** do people keep listening to the same story over and over again:

‘I don’t need to be rich to be happy I’ve got my high school sweetheart wife making me pumpkin pie and my American flag and that’s all I want.
Oh, and here’s a 1-4-5-dominant minor chord progression to go with it.’
Modern Metal, and all its sub gemres, is every bit as bad as country in this respect. Possibly even more so.

mr bagcroft

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
I definitely understand why people don't really like John Mayer but he is an incredible guitar player. His 'Live in LA' concert is great, particularly the John Mayer Trio set which doesn't really have any of his more 'poppy' tracks but is more blues oriented. I do wish he had stuck down that path a bit more
Yeah true, though that blues w***ery is so OLD now and meh. Thing is, you could be the best guitarist since Hendrix, people genrally are not going to give two *s.

Poetic Justice

i will touch the sun or i will die trying
Wordler
Jun 21, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Might need to find one
Interesting reading through whole thread - just goes to show how tastes differ so much from person to person.

For me its U2.. one of the great unknowns as to why people dig them.

But like others there's bands where you liked them at one point but then didn't - like many people are saying about Metallica.

I recently added Pearl Jams catalogue post Vitalogy trying to get in touch with it to see if I had a connection but there just isn't any songs I can bond with which is a massive contrast to Ten/VS/Vitalogy

And then comments about say Pink Floyd for instance, I'd rarely choose to listen to one of their albums full swing but I personally have a love of listening to live music recordings and always enjoy a live PF/David Gilmour show.

Back