Mega Thread Non-Freo AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peel can ditch Freo but their rebuild will take a long time. The best of their junior talent will leave to AFL clubs and their mature will have already left to other WAFL clubs.

But perhaps they like being uncompetitive.

They also lose a lot of talent to country footy which has always been a massive problem.

D) Townsend is a massive, and I mean massive hater of Peel Thunder FC.
townsend in general comes across as an advocate of how things were 30 years ago.

Wassup with this? I thought it was working.

Dale147 do you have the article for this mate?

I'm moving down that way soon so I'm embracing Peel as my local team. As long as they never align with the eagles I guess.

Dale147 do you have the article for this mate?

I'm moving down that way soon so I'm embracing Peel as my local team. As long as they never align with the eagles I guess.

Dale has won MVP of the board and really slacked off.

Unbelievable that we have to wait longer than a few minutes these days. The success has clearly gone to his head.

Without reading the article in the West, but listening to the interview Townsend did on Sport Fm on Wed afternoon, he only says that Peel might be examining the alignment, but doesn't think that it benefits either club to end it. Says that there has to be a 20 months notice to end the alignment.

Actually, if anything, he's more critical of West Coast in suggesting that they will put their players in the amateurs if they can't put their players into a WAFL club. Says Perth Demons members have to power to vote against an alignment with West Coast. Hasn't found out which WAFL team is 3rd option that WC say they are talking to regarding an alignment. (the other being East Perth - who had previously opted out of the alignment with WC).

Last edited:
I think the days of AFL listed players in the state leagues will end sooner than we think. We will probably move to either a national reserves competition or even the AFL clubs playing match practice games amongst themselves.

The gulf between rich AFL clubs and marginalised state league clubs is just going to keep growing wider.

I think the days of AFL listed players in the state leagues will end sooner than we think. We will probably move to either a national reserves competition or even the AFL clubs playing match practice games amongst themselves.

That costs money and the AFL won't fork out for it.

Reserves comp won't work due to cost. A standalone NEAFL side cost around 300k in match payments alone.

With all the travel for a full time reserve player you are looking at list sizes of 60ish so call it an extra 20 players X 50k, plus travel, plus accom, plus support staff.

It's just not feasible.

If the AFL decided that all listed players would only play in practice matches or AFL against other listed players then it would greatly benefit the Victorian sides since they would be able to field multiple teams each week, the other states might not have a full side between them so it would be reduced numbers. Not real.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the AFL decided that all listed players would only play in practice matches or AFL against other listed players then it would greatly benefit the Victorian sides

Ah, so it's a fait accompli then.

Combine the Fremantle and WC boys that aren't playing in the AFL side into one side play them in the WAFL and call them the Freagles. Problem solved. ;)
where's the vomit reaction when you need it

I know we've brushed off the question in the past with "Visy things" but how the * can Carlton afford its current list and still bring in two high paid recruits?

I did a quick count of their likely B22 next year and I'm expecting 14 of the 22 are first rounders and I think 8 of those are former top 6 picks. That doesn't include a highly paid free agent in Williams, nor the likely incoming Hewett, nor the ridiculous contract they supposedly have with McGovern.

It just does not add up. Is the AFL just turning a blind eye because they need them to finally be competitive from a commercial perspective?

I know we've brushed off the question in the past with "Visy things" but how the fu** can Carlton afford its current list and still bring in two high paid recruits?

I did a quick count of their likely B22 next year and I'm expecting 14 of the 22 are first rounders and I think 8 of those are former top 6 picks. That doesn't include a highly paid free agent in Williams, nor the likely incoming Hewett, nor the ridiculous contract they supposedly have with McGovern.

It just does not add up. Is the AFL just turning a blind eye because they need them to finally be competitive from a commercial perspective?
I think this is something that will hurt them in a few years. With the way you can mold the cap and payments, you can get away with pushing payments around for a few years but it hurts you eventually. Reckon they'll have a cap dump like Collingwood sometime in the next 3 years.

It's not impossible they are just flat out rorting the cap. I mean it does happen sometimes. Indeed we're overdue for a cap controversy. They might even have factored in the possibility of being caught and accepted they could have a period of no draft picks in the near future.
I know we've brushed off the question in the past with "Visy things" but how the fu** can Carlton afford its current list and still bring in two high paid recruits?

I think this is something that will hurt them in a few years. With the way you can mold the cap and payments, you can get away with pushing payments around for a few years but it hurts you eventually. Reckon they'll have a cap dump like Collingwood sometime in the next 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back