Streaming Squid Game Discussion Thread - SPOILERS INSIDE

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

Squid game needs its own thread. Lots of discussion here. I'm up to episode 4 so not checking spoilers but loving it so far. Marbles sounds interesting.

Last edited:
I reckon it was mostly a really good show and the concept is a ripper.

Someone mentioned great acting earlier, I certainly wouldn’t say all the acting was great. Some of it was and some of the acting was also very ordinary. I find some of the histrionics by the Korean actors to be annoying (not just in this show). Is that what Koreans are like in real life?

The VIPs were just annoying and probably the worst acting/ dialogue I have ever witnessed. Luckily they only play a big part in one episode.

Don’t get me wrong though, I really enjoyed the show. Marbles was mentally brutal and the bridge game was traumatic.

I reckon it was mostly a really good show and the concept is a ripper.

Someone mentioned great acting earlier, I certainly wouldn’t say all the acting was great. Some of it was and some of the acting was also very ordinary. I find some of the histrionics by the Korean actors to be annoying (not just in this show). Is that what Koreans are like in real life?

The VIPs were just annoying and probably the worst acting/ dialogue I have ever witnessed. Luckily they only play a big part in one episode.

Don’t get me wrong though, I really enjoyed the show. Marbles was mentally brutal and the bridge game was traumatic.
Yeah I tend to agree. Loved the show still.

The dialogue wasn’t what I was used to, something naive and “speaking the obvious” about it at times, but it’s definitely made up for by the utter brilliance of the concept and how he delivered it.

I think some actors were better than others too.

I find some of the histrionics by the Korean actors to be annoying (not just in this show). Is that what Koreans are like in real life?
I heard it comes from their traditional theatre. It seems like live action manga at times but I grew up watching astroboy and gforce so I can deal with it ok. I'm sure it could be extremely annoying to others though.

I find some of the histrionics by the Korean actors to be annoying (not just in this show). Is that what Koreans are like in real life?

The VIPs were just annoying and probably the worst acting/ dialogue I have ever witnessed. Luckily they only play a big part in one episode
My wife is Korean and I've seen a few Korean dramas, movies etc. and the histrionics are a common theme in most. However I wouldn't say its the same in real life, definitely more of a cultural element of film I would assume.

VIPs did ruin it for me, they should have been Korean, token English speaking extras (not going to call them actors given it was woeful) was over the top. I didn't mind the betting element or they could have made them local government officials who support the Squid Games to help manage population growth and reduce strain on health care. Or some sort of reasoning like that.

Overall a good show with a great idea and compared to other Korean shows it was well paced. A lot of other shows stretch out way too many episodes, with countless flashbacks of the same scene.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I relate the VIPS acting with the horrible Australian accents in most US tv shows using US actors! It didnt put me off by the way, I feel like we watch so many horrendous accents (French italian etc) in a lot of TV shows/films which we dont notice because we dont hear them much.

I'm shielding my eyes from spoilers until I get a chance to watch.
Dont start it unless you have 7hrs to burn. Episodes go for around 50mins each and once you watch the first it is impossible to turn off!

Classic binge worthy stuff. 👌

Dont start it unless you have 7hrs to burn. Episodes go for around 50mins each and once you watch the first it is impossible to turn off!

Classic binge worthy stuff. 👌
Mrs Chief is into the romantic K-Dramas at the moment, so my brother says "hey if you're into the Korean shows check out Kingdom and Squid Game." I'm there like "and how are a Zombie show and a crazy death-match series K-Dramas??"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back