Roast Our medical team / Injury prevention and conditioning staff

Remove this Banner Ad

I believe he was at Melbourne until the end of 2020.
Could be a good get.

So let's pretend you're Will Walker.

You burst onto the scene, look extremely promising. Hurt your knee with what was apparently a minor injury and then you're out of the game for two years.

You then get delisted right as the club sacks all of the fitness and rehab staff.

How pissed are you?

So let's pretend you're Will Walker.

You burst onto the scene, look extremely promising. Hurt your knee with what was apparently a minor injury and then you're out of the game for two years.

You then get delisted right as the club sacks all of the fitness and rehab staff.

How pissed are you?

Talk to my lawyers pissed.

ROOS SECURE OFF-FIELD SIGNING
FORMER Western Bulldogs and Melbourne midfielder Daniel Cross has joined North Melbourne's new-look fitness department.

Cross, who played 249 games between 2002-15 across the two clubs, was previously a member of the Demons' strength and conditioning team after his playing career ended.

He was a victim of the COVID-19 cuts to football department spending last year at the Demons and didn't resume at Melbourne following his stand-down.

TR281116AT2291.jpg

Daniel Cross at Melbourne training in 2016. Picture: AFL Photos

However, the former relentless and hard-running midfielder has returned to a role in footy, with Cross joining the Roos as a member of the club's fitness team, which will be led by Kevin White.

The club last month confirmed White had joined the Kangaroos from Collingwood, where he had led its high-performance team for the past three seasons. He had initially joined the Pies in 2011. - Callum Twomey

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FORMER Western Bulldogs and Melbourne midfielder Daniel Cross has joined North Melbourne's new-look fitness department.

Cross, who played 249 games between 2002-15 across the two clubs, was previously a member of the Demons' strength and conditioning team after his playing career ended.

He was a victim of the COVID-19 cuts to football department spending last year at the Demons and didn't resume at Melbourne following his stand-down.

TR281116AT2291.jpg

However, the former relentless and hard-running midfielder has returned to a role in footy, with Cross joining the Roos as a member of the club's fitness team, which will be led by Kevin White.

The club last month confirmed White had joined the Kangaroos from Collingwood, where he had led its high-performance team for the past three seasons. He had initially joined the Pies in 2011. - Callum Twomey

good pick up, hard as a steel cable when he played, if he passes a bit of that on it will suit me fine

TR281116AT2291.jpg

IIRC he was a big BFNAAK.

good pick up, hard as a steel cable when he played, if he passes a bit of that on it will suit me fine
Agreed. That man got the most out of himself by having supreme fitness. If he passes that onto our midfielders we will be cooking with gas.

I remember cousins saying he was his toughest opponent because you couldn't out last him. The only way he could get seperation was work to the backline and then sprint through the midfield because cross wasn't blessed with good acceleration.

Was one of my favourite doggies players. Worked alongside him during my 2nd year of uni placement when i was running the bulldogs program for the school and was a really nice guy. Was always able to get the best out of himself as a player and was quite durable so lets hope this is a good omen.

From memory, Cross was one of those guys with elite training standards. I believe that's why he was brought into Melbourne in the first place as a player, as they wanted him to lead by example for some of the younger guys.

He'll fit in well with Blakey and Boomer, albeit in a different role.

Meet the ex-AFL fitness guru who fixed Kokkinakis

MARC McGOWAN
THERE were several goals discussed when Thanasi Kokkinakis sat down with his new strength and conditioning coach Jona Segal about a year ago.

Among them was for Kokkinakis to play 25 tournaments and develop more “resilience and robustness” in 2021.

He ended up competing in 27 (including five UTR events), his most in six seasons. Tick.

Another was to change the narrative from constant references to what Kokkinakis was as a highly touted teenager – and his injury history since – rather than what he is now.

Those setbacks include a back stress fracture, serious case of glandular fever and shoulder, abdominal, pectoral, groin, knee and elbow issues.

Understandably, that second goal is a work in progress, but more weeks like what Kokkinakis just had at the Adelaide International will go a long way to that happening.

A 7½-week preparation for the Australian tennis summer reaped immediate rewards, with the South Australian eliminating three higher ranked opponents en route to the semi-finals.

Kokkinakis endured up to eight-hour training days three times weekly, where Segal – formerly North Melbourne’s high performance coach – would “stack physical and mental challenges up”. “He moved to Melbourne and, honestly, he has not missed a beat,” Segal said.

“We had massive days.

There were three, four-hour blocks on court, then we’d lift and do sessions in the sand (at Sandringham).

“He just attacked everything – he’s a beast.”

Segal started working with Kokkinakis only weeks before last year’s Australian Open and much of their association was conducted remotely while the Australian star spent eight months overseas.

Segal drew on his AFL experience but said there was no miracle strategy.

Whatever it was, Kokkinakis was injury free last year, outside of adductor tightness in his last tournament.

“But none of us is under any illusions that we’ve got a truckload more work to do,” Segal said. “We have some lofty aspirations.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back