List Mgmt. 2021 List Management: Academy, Contracts, Trading & Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Some more trade and draft resources. Courtesy of Lore.

Key Off-Season Dates
This is a comprehensive list including dates for draft combines, list lodgements, delisted free agency windows and return to train dates. I had to collate these from three different club websites because the AFL is lazy af and doesn't have it on their website, so thought it might be helpful to share:

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

AFL TRADE, DRAFT AND FREE AGENCY DATES 2021

Grand Final

Saturday September 25

Draft Combine – Vic Country
Friday October 1

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday October 3 - Friday October 15

Trade Period (picks and players)
Monday October 4 (9am) – Wednesday October 13 (7.30pm)

Draft Combines (States and Regions)
VM: Saturday October 9 (tbc)
Qld: Sunday October 10
Tas: Monday October 11
SA: Saturday October 16
WA: Sunday October 17
NSW & ACT: tbc
NT: will join SA or Qld

Trade Period (picks only)
Monday October 18 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Wednesday November 3 – Tuesday November 9

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10

Delisted Free Agency Window 3
Thursday November 11 – Monday November 15

AFL Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2–end: Thursday November 25 (7pm)

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday December 6

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)

Pre-Season Christmas Break
Sunday December 19 - Sunday January 9

Draft Order & Future Pick Tracker

FAQs & Resources Thread

It has an index at the top with threadmarks so it's easy to find what you're looking for – or easier than scrolling through 250 pages of AFL Rules, Regulations and CBA pdfs anyway.

These sorts of questions are all answered along with a bunch of other resources made by posters from across BigFooty (feel free to add to it!):

GWS List Summary

Senior List

33: 36 less delisted Shipley & Hutchesson, delisted Wehr (to be reselected in rookie draft), traded Finlayson, plus DFA signing of Brander. 3 to 5 spots available at ND.

1 Phil Davis - 2022
2 Jacob Hopper - 2023
3 Stephen Coniglio - 2026
4 Toby Greene - 2026
5 Tanner Bruhn - 2022
6 Lachie Whitfield - 2027
7 Lachlan Ash - 2023
8 Callan Ward - 2022
9 Ryan Angwin - 2022
10 Jacob Wehr - 2022 [delisted with an agreement to select in the rookie draft]
11 Brayden Preuss - 2023
12 Tom Green - 2023
13 Isaac Cumming - 2022
14 Tim Taranto - 2022
15 Sam Taylor - 2025
16 Brent Daniels - 2025
18 Conor Stone - 2024
19 Nick Haynes - 2024
22 Josh Kelly - 2029
23 Jesse Hogan - 2022
24 Matthew De Boer - 2022
25 Lachlan Keeffe - 2022
26 Jake Riccardi - 2023
27 Harry Himmelberg - 2023
29 Cam Fleeton - 2022
30 Matt Flynn - 2023
32 Kieran Briggs - 2022
33 Xavier O'Halloran - 2022
36 Harry Perryman - 2022
37 Ian Hill - 2022
39 Connor Idun - 2022
40 Adam Kennedy - 2022
44 Jack Buckley - 2022

+ Jarrod Brander - 2022 (selected in first DFA window)

Rookie List - A

4: 7 less delisted Reid & Buntine, retired Shane Mumford. 0 to 2 spots available for rookie draft.

28 Zach Sproule - 2022
38 Daniel Lloyd - 2022
42 Jake Stein - 2022
45 James Peatling - 2022

Rookie List - B

2: full

35 Will Shaw - 2022
46 Callum M Brown - 2022 (Irish international rookie, extended 1 year under COVID rules)

Last edited:
Callum Twomey mentioned on Trade Radio that the "Fab 4" (Daicos, JHF, Callaghan and Darcy) may not be the first 4 picks in the draft. Noted that the Giants could maybe move back and still get the player they like. Also noted that back when the Giants traded to draft Josh Kelly way back the intial offer included Toby Greene but the demons rejected it!!!! Anyone else heard that?

Last edited:
The two worst reaches were O’Rouke and Plowman over Grundy and Wines. In fairness Toumpas was heavily touted in that year and he was huge bust. I will never ever forgive Silvagni for not taking Grundy, that was criminal.
Definitely the worst reaches by far.
Actually Pickitt and Ahearn are close as well, but a couple picks lower.
no one had those guys that high.
On Grundy, I'd never wanted to hang a guy on a single selection or non -selection.
But when I heard that Sheedy and Choc really pushed hard for his to be selected and SOS refused with any of 5 picks (or whatever it was) it is hard not to be critical when he goes on to be excellent and it took us a decade to solve that problem.

Callum Twomey mentioned on Trade Radio that the "Fab 4" (Daicos, JHF, Callaghan and Darcy) may not be the first 4 picks in the draft. Noted that the Giants could maybe move back and still get the player they like. Also noted that back when the Giants traded to draft Josh Kelly way back the intial offer included Toby Greene but the demons rejected it!!!! Anyone else heard that?
I had heard we had offered Greene up to clubs, don’t know the offers, but no one wanted him.
This was back when even in here we would scream for him to handball it only and not kick, as he had a shocking field kick.
Glad that didn’t go through.

Yep sounding like that we might have to get use to Finn not being our guy and that it could very well be Mac that we want. If that's the case I would want the club to be very sure that he is ok with spending extended time in 2s while he develops and happy to commit to an extension early on.

Also in McCartney's interview he said that our forward setup might include going with two rucks in the 22 and the natural thought is Flynn and Briggs but perhaps what the club is thinking is of a setup of Flynn and Mac.

Yep sounding like that we might have to get use to Finn not being our guy and that it could very well be Mac that we want. If that's the case I would want the club to be very sure that he is ok with spending extended time in 2s while he develops and happy to commit to an extension early on.

Also in McCartney's interview he said that our forward setup might include going with two rucks in the 22 and the natural thought is Flynn and Briggs but perhaps what the club is thinking is of a setup of Flynn and Mac.
doubt it includes Mac next year

The whole benefit of getting such a high pick is you dont have to take as big a risk on question marks and talk is we are looking at picking the guy in the first round with the most question marks.
I just hope this isnt true.

I don't value the ruck position very highly, especially on our team when we have 3 genuine options already who are all still young, developing and capable of playing now. This seems to add to what has been coming out the last couple days, still seems weird that a decision like this is close to have been made but maybe when they're picking that high it's pretty easy to set their sights on the guy they like. Trade down would make much more sense instead of selecting him at 2.

For anyone who doesn't have access to the article here is a bit of it

Greater Western Sydney is seriously considering using its first selection on Melbourne’s Sudanese next generation academy player Mac Andrew in what is shaping as the Demons’ gift to the competition.
But the Giants could end up trading their No.2 overall pick to a rival to shuffle several spots back down the order if it’s confident it could still secure Andrew, with Richmond and Geelong chasing an early draft pick.

Lets be honest this "Andrews" pick is pure marketing and we all know it. A kid from his background the club would exploit the multicultural "benefits" to promote the game in western Sydney.

Not smart he just screams flight risk. I hope we rethink this but not confident.

Not saying he doesn't scream talent just not top 5 pick to much risk.

Lets be honest this "Andrews" pick is pure marketing and we all know it. A kid from his background the club would exploit the multicultural "benefits" to promote the game in western Sydney.

Not smart he just screams flight risk. I hope we rethink this but not confident.

If we go with Mac its because we rate him as a person and see his huge upside and there is nothing to say he is any more of a flight risk then any other selection.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

******* dreadful take in general, and extremely insensitive

Can I get confirmation of what Jake Riccardi's contract/free agent/trade status is right now please ??
Straight from Jason McCartney's mouth:

Jake Riccardi and Matt Flynn

McCartney confirmed the club is close to finalising new contracts for key forward Jake Riccardi and ruck Matt Flynn.

"I'll put Jake and Matt Flynn together in this one, we're pretty close to ticking those guys off for the next couple of years,” he said.

You should be ashamed to write something that ignorant.

If he was selected it’s because they believe he’s the best option, they don’t always get it right but their intentions are pure.

Not sure I could say the same about you.

Last edited:
Straight from Jason McCartney's mouth:

Jake Riccardi and Matt Flynn

McCartney confirmed the club is close to finalising new contracts for key forward Jake Riccardi and ruck Matt Flynn.

"I'll put Jake and Matt Flynn together in this one, we're pretty close to ticking those guys off for the next couple of years,” he said.

Thanks for that.

Wouldn't mind Jake joining the Blues hence the reason for asking.

Talls in the top 30 from Twomey on AFL.com.au

My preferences would be for
Callaghan, Van Rooyen and then another tall either Bazzo or Aller although if they are only picking 3 guys it may just be the 1 tall and Fahey depending on what TOJ decides

Josh Gibcus

Key defender
195cm/84kg
4/4/03
Greater Western Victoria Rebels/Vic Country

A leading key defender in this year's pool, Gibcus is an aerial threat who enjoys jumping in and chopping off marks. He doesn't get many goals kicked on him and is also capable of starting an offensive chain with his marking. Some clubs see him as a top-10 talent given the difficulty of finding tall defenders within this group.

Mac Andrew

Ruckman
200cm/70kg
12/4/03
Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country

There is a reason for the hype around Andrew. Actually, there's a few reasons. He can jump, he competes, he's athletic, he kicks goals, he takes marks and he's versatile. Throw in the fact he does all of that at 200cm and it's an exciting package. Andrew is a member of Melbourne's Next Generation Academy but won't end up there as the Dees won't be able to match top-20 picks under the new Academy rules. The Egyptian-born South Sudanese prospect looks bound for the top 10.

Jye Amiss

Key forward
195cm/83kg
31/7/03
East Perth/Western Australia

A knee injury in Western Australia's under-19 curtain-raiser against South Australia on Grand Final day meant Amiss' season ended the wrong way after a couple of quiet weeks in the colts. But the 18-year-old's impact across the season cannot be denied and has absolutely registered with clubs, with Amiss booting 53 goals in East Perth's colts season. He is smart inside-50, a crafty and efficient finisher and just knows how to hit the scoreboard. One who is definitely in the top-10 mix.

Jacob Van Rooyen

Forward/defender
194cm/88kg
16/4/03
Claremont/Western Australia

van Rooyen kicked the winning goal for Western Australia against South Australia in the under-19s clash last weekend having drifted forward late after spending most of the game in defence. It is that versatility which has improved the Claremont product's stocks across the year. van Rooyen played at senior level earlier this season whilst battling glandular fever but his past two months have impressed with his work ethic and capacity to play in key positions.

Jack Williams

Key forward
195cm/91kg
1/12/03
East Fremantle/Western Australia

Williams kicked 2.3 in East Fremantle's semi-final colts win two weeks ago in what was a very good showing in his side's win. The key forward is adept at finding the ball on the lead and getting away from his direct opponent to create a marking chance. He has been a goalkicker all year at colts level and shown recruiters his nous inside-50.

Rhett Bazzo

Key defender/forward
195cm/81kg
Swan Districts/Western Australia
17/10/03

Nudged his way into the top-30 after his standout key defensive game earlier this month for Western Australia. Bazzo collected 18 disposals against South Australia and showed he can set up the play with the ball in his hands and his penetrating kicking. Bazzo was an All-Australian at under-16s level and has proven he can also swing into attack and make an impact too.

What crap

That’s a shocker. While I’m all for the lad at 13, the Giants could see him much higher, not the type to play the draft like that.

Hoping we do get him at the later 1st rounder but have been proven wrong by our draft team many a time before so if they rate him at 2 then all power to them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back