Changes at end of 2023:
Leadership change: Greene to captain, ward to vice
INS: T.GREEN, J.HOGAN
OUT: J.PATTON
SUB: H.PERRYMAN

Changes at end of 2022:
IN: H.PERRYMAN
OUT: J.GILES
Positional Change: Coniglio to rover. Treloar to bench.

Changes at end of 2021:
IN: S.TAYLOR
OUT: A.TOMLINSON

FBH.SHAWP.DAVISN.HAYNES*
HBL.WHITFIELD*S.TAYLOR*Z.WILLIAMS
CJ.KELLY*C.WARD* (vc)T.SCULLY
HFT.GREENE* (c)J.HOGAN*H.HIMMELBERG*
FFD.SMITHJ.CAMERONJ.FINLAYSON
RRS.MUMFORDD.SHIELS.CONIGLIO*
INTA.TRELOART.TARANTOJ.HOPPERT.GREEN*
COACH:LEON CAMERONSUB:H.PERRYMAN*

Minimum 50 games qualification.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
ill have a think later and put together what I think would be my best.
I couldn't have Giles, and can't imagine Finlayson makes it either.
Some names I think would come into consideration not currently named by you would be Griffen, Patful, Wilson, Stevie J (prob not 50 games) and Lobb.

I know Cornes didn't get 50 games but he was great for us early days, really showed the kids at the time what it took to be an AFL player.

Griffen and Patful (along with Shaw and Mumford) were the pieces that said we no longer a development team.

curnow inferno

Team Captain
Nov 22, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Changes at end of 2021:

[TD valign="top"]FB[/TD][TD valign="top"]H.SHAW[/TD][TD valign="top"]P.DAVIS* (vc)[/TD][TD valign="top"]N.HAYNES*[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]HB[/TD][TD valign="top"]L.WHITFIELD*[/TD][TD valign="top"]S.TAYLOR*[/TD][TD valign="top"]Z.WILLIAMS[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]C[/TD][TD valign="top"]J.KELLY*[/TD][TD valign="top"]C.WARD* (c)[/TD][TD valign="top"]T.SCULLY[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]HF[/TD][TD valign="top"]T.GREENE*[/TD][TD valign="top"]J.PATTON[/TD][TD valign="top"]H.HIMMELBERG*[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]FF[/TD][TD valign="top"]D.SMITH[/TD][TD valign="top"]J.CAMERON[/TD][TD valign="top"]J.FINLAYSON*[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]RR[/TD][TD valign="top"]S.MUMFORD*[/TD][TD valign="top"]D.SHIEL[/TD][TD valign="top"]A.TRELOAR[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]INT[/TD][TD valign="top"]T.TARANTO*[/TD][TD valign="top"]J.HOPPER*[/TD]
[TD valign="top"]S.CONIGLIO* - J.GILES[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]COACH:[/TD][TD valign="top"]LEON CAMERON*[/TD][TD valign="top"][/TD]

Hendo_21

Club Legend
Aug 14, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Changes at end of 2021:

[TD valign="top"]FB[/TD][TD valign="top"]H.SHAW[/TD][TD valign="top"]P.DAVIS* (vc)[/TD][TD valign="top"]N.HAYNES*[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]HB[/TD][TD valign="top"]L.WHITFIELD*[/TD][TD valign="top"]S.TAYLOR*[/TD][TD valign="top"]Z.WILLIAMS[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]C[/TD][TD valign="top"]J.KELLY*[/TD][TD valign="top"]C.WARD* (c)[/TD][TD valign="top"]T.SCULLY[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]HF[/TD][TD valign="top"]T.GREENE*[/TD][TD valign="top"]J.PATTON[/TD][TD valign="top"]H.HIMMELBERG*[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]FF[/TD][TD valign="top"]D.SMITH[/TD][TD valign="top"]J.CAMERON[/TD][TD valign="top"]J.FINLAYSON*[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]RR[/TD][TD valign="top"]S.MUMFORD*[/TD][TD valign="top"]D.SHIEL[/TD][TD valign="top"]A.TRELOAR[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]INT[/TD][TD valign="top"]T.TARANTO*[/TD][TD valign="top"]J.HOPPER*[/TD][TD valign="top"]S.CONIGLIO* - J.GILES[/TD]

[TD valign="top"]COACH:[/TD][TD valign="top"]LEON CAMERON*[/TD][TD valign="top"][/TD]
Think I'd pick Stevie J over Finlayson.

Honestly there's not a heap of difference except Finlayson has had a really good year too along with more other games.

Taylor Moss

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Scully was only good for 2-3 years - but they were very, very good years - but who do you swap him with, Griffen maybe (who was a total flop IMO)

hiking

Rookie
Nov 13, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
Well, knowing the guidelines (50 games+) and taking in the recent memory bias. I think the OP has done a great job, period.

Personally, I'd love to fit in Griffen because I genuinely feel that those early days were much harder than so many people (maybe not on here) realise. I really rate him.

Otherwise, future looks good.

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies

Stevie J only played 40 games for us

and while he in an infinitely better player than TOJ… most of that was for another team first

he would certainly rank in the “best players to have played for GWS” category, but not necessarily “Best GWS players” if you get my drift. That said, he did give us very good service during his time with us (unlike some others who treated it like an early retirement home)

Taylor Moss

Club Legend
Oct 1, 2021
AFL Club
GWS

and while he in an infinitely better player than TOJ… most of that was for another team first

he would certainly rank in the “best players to have played for GWS” category, but not necessarily “Best GWS players” if you get my drift. That said, he did give us very good service during his time with us (unlike some others who treated it like an early retirement home)

Just wishe he didn’t do what he did in the Qualifying final. Not having him for the prelim and not having Ward for most of it also, rewrote history.

Well, knowing the guidelines (50 games+) and taking in the recent memory bias. I think the OP has done a great job, period.

Personally, I'd love to fit in Griffen because I genuinely feel that those early days were much harder than so many people (maybe not on here) realise. I really rate him.

Otherwise, future looks good.
Agree Griffen was super important for us, so was Patfull. (The other 3 get plenty of credit Mumford,Shaw and Stevie J)
They were the signings that took us from development team to winners

He is the hardest player to rate for me.
He was good for us, but clearly his best days behind him.
But he was important in giving us belief and kind of as the old saying goes made us walk taller.
All the intangibles that are hard to quantify apply to Stevie J
It was also as above.part of where ready to win moves.
I'd have him in before ToJ, but not sure where he sits.

curnow inferno

Team Captain
Nov 22, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Changes at end of 2022:
IN: H.PERRYMAN
OUT: J.GILES
Positional Change: Coniglio to rover. Treloar to bench.

FBH.SHAWP.DAVIS* (vc)N.HAYNES*
HBL.WHITFIELD*S.TAYLOR*Z.WILLIAMS
CJ.KELLY*C.WARD* (c)T.SCULLY
HFT.GREENE*J.PATTONH.HIMMELBERG*
FFD.SMITHJ.CAMERONJ.FINLAYSON
RRS.MUMFORDD.SHIELS.CONIGLIO*
INTA.TRELOART.TARANTO*J.HOPPER* - H.PERRYMAN*
COACH:LEON CAMERON

Thoughts?

Potential inclusions next year could be hogan for patton & cumming for williams..

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Cheese v Zac.png

Mikevk123

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
B Haynes Taylor Shaw
HB Williams Davis Tomlinson
C Whitfield Ward Scully
HF Greene Cameron Smith
F Himmleberg Lobb Johnson
FOLL- Mumford Coniglio Kelly
I/C- Shiel, De Boer, Taranto, Hopper

Nathan Wilson ahead of Tomlinson perhaps
Yeah, Tomlinson was good for us, but feels out of place here.
Perryman another option.
Couldn't have De Boar either, Griffin was important for using his time.
Treloar another option.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
B Haynes Taylor Shaw
HB Williams Davis Tomlinson
C Whitfield Ward Scully
HF Greene Cameron Smith
F Himmleberg Lobb Johnson
FOLL- Mumford Coniglio Kelly
I/C- Shiel, De Boer, Taranto, Hopper
Smith gets an automatic ban based off his Graveyard comments.
Shiel wouldn’t get a spot in the interchange, Green already so far ahead of him to warrant a spot.

Smith gets an automatic ban based off his Graveyard comments.
Shiel wouldn’t get a spot in the interchange, Green already so far ahead of him to warrant a spot.
Shiel was All Australian for us and * think deserves a spot

Back