Review Dees v the Dogs - End of Days indeed: the Good and Bad, Fugly and Calamitous

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if you read the article the Age did about Goody recently but it was a great insight from Caro. Poor campaigner apparently nearly had a panic attack during a members forum late last year, the stress on him was insane in 2019 and 2020 (Divorce wouldn't have helped either). Kinda felt awful after being so critical of him in previous years when I read it tbh

I think that was part of the problem, he was taking on so much stress because he was trying to do too much, hence my interchange coaching question, that's a lot of trust in your assistants, especially when some of the guys hadn't even been here before this year.

There is no doubt Goody changed a tone this year from what wed seen in previous years.

I'm just so ******* proud of the year in general but especially how much we fought back in games to win. Frequently (Especially early in the year) we were down in games in the 2nd or 3rd quarter then clawed our way back. Games that come to mind:

- fighting out an absolute stinker against the Hawks to blow them away late
- playing like absolute dogshit against North, Petracca/Oliver/Gawn all down and we get up to win in Tassie. I don't care how bad North are they are never easy to beat down there
- fighting out a really tough win against the Swans, dare I say probably the toughest game we played all year in terms of the contested ball
- down 20pt against the Lions lucky not to be further down then completely blitzing them in the 2nd half
- the obvious in round 23
- the obvious halfway through the 3rd in the GF

For years I've looked at teams like Geelong, Hawthorn, Sydney and Richmond always being jealous of the fact you can never write them off during a game. We still need to win a couple flags to match them in that department, but in terms of how hard we are to put away we are definitely up there.
I liked and then unliked this, just so I could like it again. Our game management has drastically improved. We used to be up by 20 odd point margins and get ritually run down but we now have enough organisation and leadership behind the ball to slow the march from other sides. In the past was just chaos with bodies flying everywhere and opposition sides getting so many cheap goals out the back.

A premiership minute in a premiership quarter

I just saw this, shows how much you can read into preseason games.

There was a lot of wilful ignorance in this segment which was easily recognised even at the time. Obviously the criticism was fair given previous years but given that none of our primary midfielders actually took part in the this game (except Gawn and Petracca who both played forward after halftime IIRC, until which point scores were equal) it was just a very convenient opportunity to lay the boot in and point to the scoreline and create some sound bites. I dare say if we’d played our full strength midfield like the Dogs did that result probably would have been different and they might not have had anything to talk about. I note that when we had a full strength preseason hit-out v Richmond the next week and won they had nothing to say, even thought it was just as legitimate or illegitimate of a game.

If we don't start 186'ing campaigners I'm going to be driving the sack Goody train! :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:
I really thought we might finally dole out a Queen’s Birthday belting of our own this year, which was ironic. If I could nominate one team for us to 186…it would be Carlton or Richmond. But the Pies are going to be down the bottom for a few years

I really thought we might finally dole out a Queen’s Birthday belting of our own this year, which was ironic. If I could nominate one team for us to 186…it would be Carlton or Richmond. But the Pies are going to be down the bottom for a few years
It's interesting we had a similar season to Collingwoods 2010 season. I think they had 17 1 4 as well. That year Melbourne probably should have won in round 2 and had a draw on qb, obviously Collingwood beat us this year It's like a flip. 2021 Collingwood is still better than 2010 Demons.

It's interesting we had a similar season to Collingwoods 2010 season. I think they had 17 1 4 as well. That year Melbourne probably should have won in round 2 and had a draw on qb, obviously Collingwood beat us this year It's like a flip. 2021 Collingwood is still better than 2010 Demons.
I reckon our 2010 team might shade their 2021 side. We won 8.5 games that year.

Our 2010 team shots on their 2021. They are a rabble. We came within a few points of beating them twice, and also should have beaten the top four Bulldogs that year. Lost by under two goals to top 8 Dockers away and ninth placed North. We were genuinely decent in 2010. That being said, both sides are trending in the same direction…

You know what would make a sweet video:

- Rd 22: Bailey Fritsch 3 late goals in ~90secs vs Adelaide
- Prelim: Fritsch, Gawn, TMac 3 3rd qtr goals in ~40secs
- GF: Trac, Spaz, Clarry 3rd qtr blizkrieg in ~40secs

9 goals in probably about 2-3mins game time.

Leigh Matthews “1 goal for every remaining minute” fat lady rule no longer safe?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha the 3rd quarter was so amazing that people have almost forgotten then Fritsch X2 and Brown was also 3 goals in a minute haha
I’ve watched the replay a dozen times and I still get overwhelmed thinking about that patch, there’s too much information for my brain to comprehend. Ballistic footy.

Haha the 3rd quarter was so amazing that people have almost forgotten then Fritsch X2 and Brown was also 3 goals in a minute haha

I don’t know how impressed long time footy fans were with Fritta’s second in this sequence, but I’m still kind of blown away by the athleticism to do what he did as quickly as he did it.

Ten Things I love about the Grand Final in no particular order.
  1. The Bulldogs' mistakes of Q1
  2. James Harmes' kick - it could not have been more perfect.
  3. Fritsche's Land-0n-his-feet-like-a-cat-goal - and revving up of the crowd
  4. The look of weariness and bewilderment on the Bulldogs centre-square crew after another goal in the Q3
  5. Petracca's blind turn.
  6. Oliver pointing his finger to the heavens after THE goal.
  7. Tommy McDonald - a Neeld survivor - kicking a goal after the siren.
  8. Gus' kick for goal
  9. "Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang."
  10. The Pig trotting over to his family with the Premiership Cup after the game.

I don’t know how impressed long time footy fans were with Fritta’s second in this sequence, but I’m still kind of blown away by the athleticism to do what he did as quickly as he did it.
It’s been getting a lot of praise from footy fans, don’t worry about that. He’d a remarkable player. I can’t think of too many players who can play as a lead up marking forward like he does and also kick that goal.

Ten Things I love about the Grand Final in no particular order.
  1. The Bulldogs' mistakes of Q1
  2. James Harmes' kick - it could not have been more perfect.
  3. Fritsche's Land-0n-his-feet-like-a-cat-goal - and revving up of the crowd
  4. The look of weariness and bewilderment on the Bulldogs centre-square crew after another goal in the Q3
  5. Petracca's blind turn.
  6. Oliver pointing his finger to the heavens after THE goal.
  7. Tommy McDonald - a Neeld survivor - kicking a goal after the siren.
  8. Gus' kick for goal
  9. "Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang."
  10. The Pig trotting over to his family with the Premiership Cup after the game.
* this one gets me. Just sheer disbelief. I’ll never forget it. Possibly my all-time favourite moment as a Dees fan

fu** this one gets me. Just sheer disbelief. I’ll never forget it. Possibly my all-time favourite moment as a Dees fan
JBs commentary aswell, didn't try and make the moment about himself. Let the crowd noise take over

fu** this one gets me. Just sheer disbelief. I’ll never forget it. Possibly my all-time favourite moment as a Dees fan
When Jackson was streaming clear hand balling to Oliver, all I could think was surely not another one…oh wow…and then I lost my s**t again.

Can’t wait to find out if a coach or player identified the dogs could be exposed out the back of the stoppage if we scrapped and surged it forward. Viney just hack kicks one forward. Chaos or organised chaos.

I think Gus hinted that they knew the dogs mids we’re going all out attack when they were ‘throwing their punch’.

When Jackson was streaming clear hand balling to Oliver, all I could think was surely not another one…oh wow…and then I lost my sh*t again.

Can’t wait to find out if a coach or player identified the dogs could be exposed out the back of the stoppage if we scrapped and surged it forward. Viney just hack kicks one forward. Chaos or organised chaos.

I think Gus hinted that they knew the dogs mids we’re going all out attack when they were ‘throwing their punch’.
The ruck advantage was clear I think, and they would have known that none of their mids can really compete with Trac, Oliver and Viney head to head. We did something similar to them in 2018 before 6-6-6.

* imagine if we pulled it off again the next time we play them

Remove this Banner Ad

Back