Podcast BigFooty Draftcast – Ep 13: Phantom Draft SZN

Remove this Banner Ad

BigFooty's Draft Hub has its own podcast!

Hosted by The_Wookie, the new podcast will feature a rotating cast of our resident Draft Experts & Draft Watchers, including Davo-27, ModernArtillery, PMBangers, Pie 4 Life, Smythe and eDPS.

The Draftcast is expected to feature game reviews, profiles of draft hopefuls, club needs, squabbles over rankings, Q&As, and lots more.

All episodes are available on iTunes:

... and Spotify:

If you have any suggestions, feedback, ideas for what you’d like to hear about, or questions you’d like answered, please post them in this thread :)

Last edited:
112 – Dogs and Dees Reviews
On this episode of the Bigfooty Draftcast, The_Wookie is joined by Pie 4 Life and ModernArtillery - but notably not PMBangers - to discuss the latest from the Under 17s and Under 19s and cast an eye over the draft options for the Dogs and the Demons.

113 - 3 Round Phantom Draft!
On this episode of the Bigfooty Draftcast, The_Wookie hosts a 3 round phantom draft for our draft experts eDPS, ModernArtillery, Pie 4 Life and PMBangers to participate in, each taking 4 clubs and running through selection-by-selection. Who does your club pick? Which fans will be the most outraged? Where does BigFooty's Own Neil Erasmus (BFONE for short) get selected? Listen through to find out, and hear the rationale of the selections for your club!

All selections, and club allocations can be seen here;

Questions for the listeners;
Is there anyone you would have preferred at any of your selections?
Who were the bolters and sliders?
Who were some of the players that missed out that shocked you?

On this episode of the Bigfooty Draftcast, The_Wookie hosts a 3 round phantom draft for our draft experts eDPS, ModernArtillery, Pie 4 Life and PMBangers to participate in, each taking 4 clubs and running through selection-by-selection. Who does your club pick? Which fans will be the most outraged? Where does BigFooty's Own Neil Erasmus (BFONE for short) get selected? Listen through to find out, and hear the rationale of the selections for your club!

Sonsie with Hawks First, reaching

Also not criticizing, just querying

ModernArtillery tell me more about Zac Taylor. He just snuck into Cal Twomey's top 30 at 30, but Cal says he is attracting attention.

Sounds a reach at #18 at this stage, but could he move up the rankings in the lead up to the draft?

ModernArtillery tell me more about Zac Taylor. He just snuck into Cal Twomey's top 30 at 30, but Cal says he is attracting attention.

Sounds a reach at #18 at this stage, but could he move up the rankings in the lead up to the draft?
He's a really crafty accumulator and uses the footy well by hand and foot. One of those that seems to be able to find time and space in and around the contest and then deliver the footy to a teammate in an attacking position. He just rarely wastes a possession because he's such a good decision maker with it but then has the skills to execute. I like that he covers the ground really well and gets involved in transitioning the footy. I just have a high level of confidence that when he has the footy he'll either maintain possession or create an opportunity for a teammate in a more attacking position. I did mention at the end of the podcast that he was probably the reach of the draft. He's a smaller midfielder around the 180cm mark and that probably limits his ceiling in terms of how he can impact a game at AFL level but I value his skill set. As a Crows fan I've always been envious of Robbie Gray and Zak Butters, and I want to be clear this is not a comparison to those two, but as as smaller type he can impact the game in similar ways.

To add a little bit more context. My dream scenario was Hobbs at this pick as I think adding another contested ball winner should be the priority for Port with this selection. Once he was off the board the decision came down to Taylor and Matthew Johnson, with Matthew Roberts and Connor MacDonald the outside considerations. In hindsight, Johnson would've been a pretty good option here I think but I rate Taylor really highly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surprised not to see Charlie Molan, Lewis Rayson or Kade Dittmar there.
If we did a full one I probably would've taken them as they're in the next band of talent for me, Dittmar was probably my next best inside mid

Wilmot is one of my favourite players in the draft and one of the most bankable so I can't really complain, but we have a good stock of half-backs so Johnson or Butler might be a better fit.

Macdonald is a third-tier mid in this draft, so not really rapt with that pick - I'd go Jack Williams. Alleer not bad for need, ditto Curtis - but I'd prefer Arthur Jones who is my bolter. Shades of Charlie Cameron with his electric pace and screamed pick me in the state game.

I know this is a phantom and just some fun but far out!
We (WCE) need some young midfield class and desperately...If we drafted like that, our board would dead-set revolt, burn their memberships and practice voodoo.
eDPS maaaaaaaaaaate :(
Still available at our first pick, we could have much preferred any of Johnson, Hobbs, Goater, Sinn (risky but still better than a tall at this stage), Taylor and maybe even Knevitt and Hough.

I know this is a phantom and just some fun but far out!
We (WCE) need some young midfield class and desperately...If we drafted like that, our board would dead-set revolt, burn their memberships and practice voodoo.
eDPS maaaaaaaaaaate :(
Still available at our first pick, we could have much preferred any of Johnson, Hobbs, Goater, Sinn (risky but still better than a tall at this stage), Taylor and maybe even Knevitt and Hough.
You will find my apology on your club board 😂

He's a really crafty accumulator and uses the footy well by hand and foot. One of those that seems to be able to find time and space in and around the contest and then deliver the footy to a teammate in an attacking position. He just rarely wastes a possession because he's such a good decision maker with it but then has the skills to execute. I like that he covers the ground really well and gets involved in transitioning the footy. I just have a high level of confidence that when he has the footy he'll either maintain possession or create an opportunity for a teammate in a more attacking position. I did mention at the end of the podcast that he was probably the reach of the draft. He's a smaller midfielder around the 180cm mark and that probably limits his ceiling in terms of how he can impact a game at AFL level but I value his skill set. As a Crows fan I've always been envious of Robbie Gray and Zak Butters, and I want to be clear this is not a comparison to those two, but as as smaller type he can impact the game in similar ways.

To add a little bit more context. My dream scenario was Hobbs at this pick as I think adding another contested ball winner should be the priority for Port with this selection. Once he was off the board the decision came down to Taylor and Matthew Johnson, with Matthew Roberts and Connor MacDonald the outside considerations. In hindsight, Johnson would've been a pretty good option here I think but I rate Taylor really highly.

One of the guys on the Port Board is not a big fan of Johnson's. Good size for a midfielder yes, but no real weapons or point of difference is his view.

I'm no expert, but just looking at different phantom drafts to date, there are no hard and fast ideas of where players might fall outside of the absolute top rankings. Even someone like Goater only just squeezed into Cal Twomey's top 20.

eDPS - May I say thanks for trying but I am glad our premier has closed the borders eaning we keep you away from the West Coast draft team.;)

WTF are you thinking in a draft where Simpson as gone on record saying we need to prioritise the midfield and hen proceed to deliver 4 forwards and not a single midfielder!!!
Amiss
Williams
Motlop
Regan

Brander has been kept out of the side as a KPP because we are long in that area and is being forced to play wing because we are so thin on the ground. He is seeking a trade due to lack of KPF options. We also have Williams and Jamieson as developing talls on the list and Harry Edwards as a developing KPD.

At pick 10 (net 12), I would have gone Hobbs, Johnson, Roberts or Taylor before Amiss. We need a genuine mud and not a flanker that hopes to play mid and not an outside mid. This is a classic Best Available when it is not a need. West Coast had their pants pulled down on contested ball and this needs addressing as we have not drafted an inside mid in the first round since Shuey (note Sheed is outside not inside)

Problem see with Amiss is that he is a Gunston 3rd tall and the problem I have with Williams is that he is around the same height as Oscar Allen and we cannot fit him yet into the 2 forward roles.

Likewise I would have gone another mid at 29 (net 32) and gone for Joshua Browne but expect us to probably go for Brady Hough which would be OK if we had a genuine mid at 10. I do not see the certainty of Williams making it and would personally see him as a R3 option.

At 35 (net 38), I would have been fine with Motlop is the midfield need had been addressed in the first two picks. If we go a tall in one of the first two, I am sure that one of the options at 32 would likely be there or go with Sheldrick or even Bailey Rogers.

Pick 35 (net 44) I would not have matched Regan. He is someone I would pick but later in the draft or rookie. He has talent but not that sure where he will play and has been rather inconsistent this year.

Thanks for your efforts, if you are just dealing out cards at the table and picking from 1 to 50 based on your rating, that is one thing. If you want to understand a list and priorities for a club, happy if you PM me.

Cheers

Fantastic draft for Brisbane. I have no idea who Rankin is though, can you or Pie 4 Life tell me more about him? Wouldn't mind Lewis Rayson as a Daniel Rich replacement, but between Sinn and Banks we should be covered.

Apart from the West Coast and Hawthorn selections mentioned by others, the big surprise is Hobbs falling so far.

Wilmot is one of my favourite players in the draft and one of the most bankable so I can't really complain, but we have a good stock of half-backs so Johnson or Butler might be a better fit.

Macdonald is a third-tier mid in this draft, so not really rapt with that pick - I'd go Jack Williams. Alleer not bad for need, ditto Curtis - but I'd prefer Arthur Jones who is my bolter. Shades of Charlie Cameron with his electric pace and screamed pick me in the state game.
I like Johnson and agree he would've been a good fit there. I think the rest probably just comes down to difference of opinions. I rate MacDonald a bit higher and I'm not a big fan of Williams but I see the positional value/need.

Fantastic draft for Brisbane. I have no idea who Rankin is though, can you or Pie 4 Life tell me more about him? Wouldn't mind Lewis Rayson as a Daniel Rich replacement, but between Sinn and Banks we should be covered.

Apart from the West Coast and Hawthorn selections mentioned by others, the big surprise is Hobbs falling so far.
Rayson was one of probably 10 names I was tossing up between. Rankin I just like the upside. Very slick and dangerous mid/forward, probably settles as that forward but can go up the ground. Was more of a type I liked more so than needs as I aimed to address needs with the first couple of picks. Think of Rankin like the front half version of Banks haha. Got class, still inconsistent but love his upside, can do a lot of damage around goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back