Coach Sam Mitchell's direction for the club and 2024 news

Remove this Banner Ad

If anyone wants to have a listen about what the data is saying in regards to whether we have actually gotten worse this year have a listen to this from the 9:15 mark.

I know a few people have already touched on it, but the data is also showing that our results this year have been slightly better despite actually putting out a younger team and dealing with some injuries.

Sam’s thoughts in late 2021
Sam Mitchell wants his Hawthorn side to be more attacking without losing the defensive DNA of the team, the new coach says as he embarks on putting his fingerprints on the team that has known only one coach for nearly two decades.

Sam Mitchell wants his Hawthorn side to be more attacking without losing the defensive DNA of the team, the new coach says as he embarks on putting his fingerprints on the team that has known only one coach for nearly two decades.

Yes, it’s only words at the moment, but I was bloody excited reading that article

Yes, it’s only words at the moment, but I was bloody excited reading that article

Sam is very direct in answering the questions / telling his story which I like.

The article has given me more confidence about the coming years.

Sam is very direct in answering the questions / telling his story which I like.

The article has given me more confidence about the coming years.
He spoke in very general terms but I really Iike the direction he wants to take the club gamestyle wise.

He made a good point about that run of games this year in which we dominated possessions but struggled to get 40 inside 50s as something that can't continue.

He spoke in very general terms but I really Iike the direction he wants to take the club gamestyle wise.

He made a good point about that run of games this year in which we dominated possessions but struggled to get 40 inside 50s as something that can't continue.

I think one of Sam's biggest obstacles will be his decision on a game plan/style that a) he believes a current AFL side should play and b) a model and style that fits our current playing group.

Moreover, there's no point for Sam to attempt to implement the same systems that Hawthorn circa 2012-2015 played to because our skill level and depth of talent is vastly different.

2022 is going to be like ironing a crumpled shirt, I reckon. It'll take time; we may iron certain parts faster and other times we may forget to turn the iron on altogether as we work out how to turn the power point on.

I think one of Sam's biggest obstacles will be his decision on a game plan/style that a) he believes a current AFL side should play and b) a model and style that fits our current playing group.

Moreover, there's no point for Sam to attempt to implement the same systems that Hawthorn circa 2012-2015 played to because our skill level and depth of talent is vastly different.

2022 is going to be like ironing a crumpled shirt, I reckon. It'll take time; we may iron certain parts faster and other times we may forget to turn the iron on altogether as we work out how to turn the power point on.
Personally I have found that our best performances the last 3 years have become when we seem to throw caution to the wind and go flat out offensively and not overpossess the ball.

So hopefully this means his idea of how an AFL team should play (ie. not overpossess for meaningless possessions and seek to play with an attacking bent) match up well with our current sides DNA.

Of course only time will tell!

Interesting once the clarko/mitchell conversation happened it also aligned with better performance. As amazing as clarko is, there comes a time for fresh voices and energy. Has anyone had the same boss for 18 years?? Our midfield was being smashed, too many ball hunters being sucked to the honey pot and as soon as a team flicked it out they were away in space. The duke helped change this with a better balance of finding the ball and slowing the opposition midfield. Nash can in and played a similar role really attacking the player with the ball. Mitchell found his groove and no surprise after such a bad injury which many players never really recover. 2022 is going to be exciting. This years draft is full of mids so lets pick the eyes for competitive but skill full players. Speed is over rated, that explosive few steps is the key to create space (our new coach was the master) but the ability to deliver the ball by foot and make good decisions. We have Hardwick, Scrim, sicily, day and ill add bramble in quick players that deliver the ball and more often take the right decision, this is the speed and control on the game that we need. I feel our ruck issues needs to be addressed. Reeves if can stay on the paddock does that but is yet to handle the bash/crash ruck toll. There is huge upside and trading our top end talent is wrong, balance is essential and the older player have to find the hunger again and I think Mitchell can deliver this.

Averaged seven over two years including Day and DGB with Finn, Reeves etc as smokies

in our last years before trading in more players starting with Burgoyne in 2009, 2004-2008 we drafted 6;6;5;3;6 from ND. Average 5
Long term players ‘found’: Roughead Franklin Lewis Murphy Ellis Birchall Rioli Whitecross Schonmakers Shiels

need to go 5 picks then and ‘find’ 2 long term each year: a rate of 40% which is broadly how draftees work out across the board.

I’d suggest or list now is as good as if not better than before the 2005 draft

Hodge : Hardwick
Mitchell : Day
Crawford: O’Meara
Everett: McEvoy
Bateman: Bramble
Williams : Bruest

And so on

apart from the serious talent haul in 2004 (I think the hawks return from that equals or betters that of all other clubs put together) current. Draft returns are on par With anything
No point comparing players but we definitely have a better list now compared to pre draft 04. Mainly because we have more talent and a deeper list.

But at the same time just because our list isn’t as bad and has underperformed, doesn’t mean we are closer than 05, if anything I feel we are very much further away. Mitchell has got his work cut out for him.

There was such a huge change of our list from 05 to 08 plus so many draft picks, not sure we could get close to the number of picks and the players we got in those draft.

Plus despite having some good young talent, I feel it’s unlikely any get to Mitchell or Hodge’s playing level.

Interesting once the clarko/mitchell conversation happened it also aligned with better performance. As amazing as clarko is, there comes a time for fresh voices and energy. Has anyone had the same boss for 18 years?? Our midfield was being smashed, too many ball hunters being sucked to the honey pot and as soon as a team flicked it out they were away in space. The duke helped change this with a better balance of finding the ball and slowing the opposition midfield. Nash can in and played a similar role really attacking the player with the ball. Mitchell found his groove and no surprise after such a bad injury which many players never really recover. 2022 is going to be exciting. This years draft is full of mids so lets pick the eyes for competitive but skill full players. Speed is over rated, that explosive few steps is the key to create space (our new coach was the master) but the ability to deliver the ball by foot and make good decisions. We have Hardwick, Scrim, sicily, day and ill add bramble in quick players that deliver the ball and more often take the right decision, this is the speed and control on the game that we need. I feel our ruck issues needs to be addressed. Reeves if can stay on the paddock does that but is yet to handle the bash/crash ruck toll. There is huge upside and trading our top end talent is wrong, balance is essential and the older player have to find the hunger again and I think Mitchell can deliver this.
Your first point is incorrect. Our performances turned after the bye. The players even came out and said as such. Don't create a narrative to suit your opinion.

However, I do agree with your second point that it was time for a fresh voice.

First team talk at Box Hill

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Expecting our style of play to change as dramatically as the Bulldogs from 2014 to 2015. Had a huge defensive game under McCartney but couldn't get the score on the board. Had consecutive seasons around the 7-8 win mark. Beveridge came in and overhauled the offensive strategies and they roared straight into the finals with a 14 win season, followed by a premiership the following year.

I'm not saying that is going to happen, but I guarantee CJ, Impey, Scrimshaw, Day and Frost are going to be let loose in 2022 and will have far more options up the field to kick to. It may see us stagnate, or it may see us rise from the ashes. One thing i'm certain about is that it won't be boring.

Hearing Mitchell getting rid of a whole lot of senior players reminds me so much of the Buckley succession plan.

Not saying it'll fail, not saying it'll work. Just interesting to watch this progress over the years.

Think it’s very different to Collingwood as they hired Buckley during a perceived premiership window; where we have finally admitted to a rebuild after a period of slow decline down the ladder. Think any new coach of a rebuilding side with huge work to do will make make some changes; we are yet to find out how many , if any, big changes he will make.

Think it’s very different to Collingwood as they hired Buckley during a perceived premiership window; where we have finally admitted to a rebuild after a period of slow decline down the ladder. Think any new coach of a rebuilding side with huge work to do will make make some changes; we are yet to find out how many , if any, big changes he will make.

I think the lists certainly were at different stages, but the parallels are there to be similar enough situations and the "sucession" part of it has been identical so far. Only difference being Malthouse said he'd never coach against his boys again.

TylerDurden, fair enough. Someone told me Mitchell and a few other seniors were gone. They probably read it on twitter haha.

I think the lists certainly were at different stages, but the parallels are there to be similar enough situations and the "sucession" part of it has been identical so far. Only difference being Malthouse said he'd never coach against his boys again.

TylerDurden, fair enough. Someone told me Mitchell and a few other seniors were gone. They probably read it on twitter haha.

Hey remember when that new guy came in from Port Adelaide and sacked a whole lot of players because they couldn't kick? He was only on a two year contract also. I thought that it was a pretty ballsy move from that guy. Now what was his name again? 🤔🤔

Low-key love how they have a photo of him at Glenferrie rather than Waverly.

Hey remember when that new guy came in from Port Adelaide and sacked a whole lot of players because they couldn't kick? He was only on a two year contract also. I thought that it was a pretty ballsy move from that guy. Now what was his name again? 🤔🤔
Bad kicking is bad football 😏

Can we finally put to bed the idea that Box Hill played the same game plan and style as Hawthorn?

"The Box Hill Hawks under Mitchell this year played a more offensive and attacking game than Hawthorn, but Mitchell was reluctant to say he would play that more offensive style with the Hawks next year.

“I think Hawthorn over the last five years has had quite a defensive DNA and I certainly don’t want to lose some of the excellent defensive concepts Hawthorn have, but by the same token being able to score has been a trouble for us, so certainly I would like to be a team that can trouble oppositions with scoring,” Mitchell said."

All the crap I had to read from posters suggesting we didn't understand game plans.
All the know it alls saying it was simply the fact the standard of opposition allowed Box Hill Hawks to execute better....and NOT the fact they actually tried to move the ball differently, with different emphasis, and different objectives.

Richard Vandenberg speaks Screenshot_20211003-174908_Herald Sun.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back