Cricket things that annoy you

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do you suppose that Overton and Robinson's selection coincides with the bounciest Oval and Headingley decks in recent memory?
Robinson has played all series. Overton was selected after the injuries to short people like Broad. There is nothing exceptional or unreasonable about the bounce these pitches have provided.

Sharma's was a ball that bounced in the exact same spot the previous delivery yet bounced a full foot higher. Kohli's was a drivable length delivery that bounced half a foot more than it should've. Both wickets caused by more bounce than they expected.
Well you're just wrong. Both wickets were caused by sideways movement. End of story.

So, when I say that the pitches don't take to spin so much, I'm not complaining about it
You weren't complaining about it when India were winning the series. But you are now. Pathetic.

Robinson has played all series. Overton was selected after the injuries to short people like Broad. There is nothing exceptional or unreasonable about the bounce these pitches have provided.
You absolutely certain you aren't interested in that bridge in Sydney?
Well you're just wrong. Both wickets were caused by sideways movement. End of story.
The other kids in the park won't like you very much if all you do is take your bat and ball and go home every time someone points out you're incoherent.
You weren't complaining about it when India were winning the series. But you are now. Pathetic.
Lulwat? Complaining about completely partisan pitch tampering in favour of an away side?

You're all over the shop. Best stop while you're well behind.

Complaining about completely partisan pitch tampering in favour of an away side?
India winning with no help from spin bowling: "These pitches are good, this is a promising series"
India losing despite some help from spin bowling: "Wahhh these bouncy seaming decks don't take spin"

India winning with no help from spin bowling: "These pitches are good, this is a promising series"
India losing despite some help from spin bowling: "Wahhh these bouncy seaming decks don't take spin"
And we're back to beating up strawmen. Give him one from me!

Have fun tieing your imaginary friend in knots!

Let the record show India won by 150 runs...

Cricket things that annoy me: When a pitch offers something for everybody over the course of five days and produces an entertaining Test cricket contest with a result in the last session of play. Urghh sooo ******* annoying!

There was nothing really wrong with The Oval wicket there. Maybe a little bit flat, but it has been typically in the best English pitch for batting over the last decade. Certainly nothing considerably outside the norm for mine.

Let the record show India won by 150 runs...

Cricket things that annoy me: When a pitch offers something for everybody over the course of five days and produces an entertaining Test cricket contest with a result in the last session of play. Urghh sooo ******* annoying!
Lol at you being too much of a coward not to quote me when making your little assertion here.

I have a question, by the way: when Cam Bancroft cheated by tampering with a cricket ball with a piece of sandpaper, did the Australian team go on to win the test?

Cheating doesn't have to be successful to be distasteful.

I think most senior VCA T20 comps have been running with the 5 overs at each end for a fair few seasons now.

Yep, we do this in our seniors. It's odd at first but it does speed the play along.

Gripes: numbers on shirts for first class and test matches. Yes, I'm a grumpy old traditionalist bastard, sue me.

well, you shouldn't have to (but probably will have to)
yes and yes.

what spiked interest was that heres the captain saying you shouldnt have to or pay for cricket, then nek minnut could well be doing ads for pay tv/

Watching the IPL what bothers me most about T20 is that wickets don’t matter too much.
In his autobiography Ponting said that not valuing your wicket was the biggest adjustment that had to be made for T20 cricket because it's counter intuitive to everything you've ever been taught about the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In his autobiography Ponting said that not valuing your wicket was the biggest adjustment that had to be made for T20 cricket because it's counter intuitive to everything you've ever been taught about the game.

I think there are spots reserved in t20 for those that do but it’s a select few - guys like Dhoni, Kohli, Pollard to an extent, are the types that can ‘take a game deep and explode’ but basically everyone else has to just not care

Impatient commentary.

Watching the women's pink ball test on at the moment, and the commentary is critical of Ash Gardner's likelihood of taking a wicket. Gardner is going, at the moment, at under a run an over; she's 5 runs from 7 overs. She's looking plenty threatening, and every ball is probing at the stumps.

This is a test match. It's day 1. She's an off spinner, and an all rounder to boot. Find within yourself the patience to let her build pressure and see what she can do without wishing for wickets and runs and boundaries and stumpings.

If you cannot, the T20's are that way.

Last edited:
Lunch breaks, 40 minutes is too long considering they've only been playing for 2 hours.
It seems very anachronistic to still have a 40 minute break and a 20 minute break.

In a professional game the timing breakdown of 2h - 30m - 2h - 30m - 2h makes more sense.

On a similar vein adding a half hour to the end of the next days play when we lose play earlier in the test. Why not add half hour to the end AND the start and get the game back on track.

It seems very anachronistic to still have a 40 minute break and a 20 minute break.

In a professional game the timing breakdown of 2h - 30m - 2h - 30m - 2h makes more sense.

On a similar vein adding a half hour to the end of the next days play when we lose play earlier in the test. Why not add half hour to the end AND the start and get the game back on track.

I reckon 20 and 20 would suffice but maybe that's just me being impatient.

Wasn't it the broadcasters who complained? No more than half an hour afterwards so they could confidently schedule the rest of the day and then a fixed starting time?

Not sure it really matters that much anyway, very rarely would it make a difference to the result.

People having a bit of a whinge about how placid the pitch is...

You realise it's a day/night test, right? And we've seen only one twilight session, and in that session 4 wickets fell including 3 of what you would consider to be inside the best 10 players in this series?

Rain's killed the test. It was as true at stumps last night as it was at the end of day 2. India bat themselves into a position in which loss wasn't possible, declared to avoid giving Australia the mental edge bowling them all out entails, and gave themselves the best possible bowling conditions of the test. It made for some of the most interesting cricket of the series last night.

It's not like you have far to reach to critique if you're interested; we should've backed ourselves to bat through day 1 sans rain and used pressure to take wickets outside of the evening session.

It's also why I despise the idea of 4 day tests, even with reserve days. If you cop any rain at all, there goes the result unless the pitch has 20 as a good score.

People having a bit of a whinge about how placid the pitch is...

You realise it's a day/night test, right? And we've seen only one twilight session, and in that session 4 wickets fell including 3 of what you would consider to be inside the best 10 players in this series?

Rain's killed the test. It was as true at stumps last night as it was at the end of day 2. India bat themselves into a position in which loss wasn't possible, declared to avoid giving Australia the mental edge bowling them all out entails, and gave themselves the best possible bowling conditions of the test. It made for some of the most interesting cricket of the series last night.

It's not like you have far to reach to critique if you're interested; we should've backed ourselves to bat through day 1 sans rain and used pressure to take wickets outside of the evening session.

It's also why I despise the idea of 4 day tests, even with reserve days. If you cop any rain at all, there goes the result unless the pitch has 20 as a good score.
Unfortunately there's a lack of pace in the wicket, which is never great but particularly detrimental for the women's game.

Ground staff had very little preparation time so, all things considered, a good job has been done. But if they had an extra 3-4 weeks we might've seen something with a lot more juice in it providing a steady flow of wickets throughout each day, not just the last session.

Unfortunately there's a lack of pace in the wicket, which is never great but particularly detrimental for the women's game.

Ground staff had very little preparation time so, all things considered, a good job has been done. But if they had an extra 3-4 weeks we might've seen something with a lot more juice in it providing a steady flow of wickets throughout each day, not just the last session.
We've been a little off the boil, and they've bat pretty well.

I don't know. I've just really enjoyed the cricket, and last night was as difficult as it's been all series to bat. In a 5 day test without rain delays, this would be absolutely fine; it's only an issue due to the length and the rain.

I hate how soft the umpires are when it comes to drizzle by going off.

Its embarrassing sometimes because they go off when its light they cant come back on until the rain completely stops.

Obivously if its heavy go off but i feel umpires go off way to easily when it comes to light rain. And never seem urgent to get the game going

Remove this Banner Ad

Back