List Mgmt. Welcome to the Suns, Mabior Chol.

KaySwizzle

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I just watched his highlights. Now, highlights are just that—but I like what he brings.

He’s not going to be a big, pack marking forward like Dixon. If anything, he’s a bit like a budget King—mobile, fast, athletic, good kick, clean below the knees. Our forward line with those two and Corbett will be tall and agile, able to take marks but also able to get out the back for goals too or be able to get on their bike and beat the defenders to the ball drop.

He also had some nice kicks into the forward 50 and a reliable side-step. Plenty to like without expecting too much in his first year beside himself working on his consistency and making the most of his new opportunity.

I liked the way he talked about repaying the faith the club has in him in his club interview as well. Seems like the coaches have a clear plan for him. Time will tell, but I’m optimistic

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I just watched his highlights. Now, highlights are just that—but I like what he brings.

He’s not going to be a big, pack marking forward like Dixon. If anything, he’s a bit like a budget King—mobile, fast, athletic, good kick, clean below the knees. Our forward line with those two and Corbett will be tall and agile, able to take marks but also able to get out the back for goals too or be able to get on their bike and beat the defenders to the ball drop.

He also had some nice kicks into the forward 50 and a reliable side-step. Plenty to like without expecting too much in his first year beside himself working on his consistency and making the most of his new opportunity.

I liked the way he talked about repaying the faith the club has in him in his club interview as well. Seems like the coaches have a clear plan for him. Time will tell, but I’m optimistic
Would it be reasonable to suggest we have the quickest duo of key forwards in the AFL now? Kingy is obviously really quick considering he won the Grand Final sprint a few years ago and Chol looks fast too. Could be very difficult for key defenders to keep up if we play accordingly.

Dec 5, 2015
Bueng Kan,Thailand
AFL Club
Gold Coast

And with our new mid/fwd/ruc coach in Steven King, we should see marked improvement in that area.......

KaySwizzle

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Would it be reasonable to suggest we have the quickest duo of key forwards in the AFL now? Kingy is obviously really quick considering he won the Grand Final sprint a few years ago and Chol looks fast too. Could be very difficult for key defenders to keep up if we play accordingly.

Hmmm, not sure about the quickest. But they aren’t slower, traditional power talls (King is exceptionally quick so I’d like to see Chol live to get a better sense of his speed). They are definitely agile (side steps, ground balls etc.) and our smalls like Sexton and Ainsworth ain’t slow either.

So if we clean up our inside 50 entries, or our transition from rebound 50s, then it will likely be to our advantage if either can get into space. That’s no different to any team, but has been our downfall for many seasons.

Not sure if it’s the mids or leading patterns, but a few new assistant coaches will soon let us know if it’s players or structure.

Andyy

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
So much to like about this fella.

Good bloke, beautiful kick. So agile. Just needs to focus on taking more grabs and his body work. Could be a very serviceable player.

Andyy

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Sounds like 2MP, you know the guy we just through away

He has nothing like the agility of Chol.

But yes. You threw him away. Stuff knows why?

Doesn't have to be a world-beater but clearly he's a better forward option than Day who can be quite a potato. Would have been good ruck relief for Witts and forward depth with King there.

Anyway he went to the druggos for zilch. A waste!

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond

Going off the highlights you would think he's a star.

He is capable of startling things and is a very smart player who contributes subtle one-percenters as well as being a lovely kick for goal. And he does it all with a languid grace that makes it appear so simple. However there is some sort of disconnect whereby he can't involve himself in the humdrum of a game - linking up with handball, trapping the ball in the area with a defensive tackle, standing in front of the pack where he can't mark but aims to bring the ball to ground.

He still might make into an AFL player but probably needs another 12 months of development. He really needs to nail down a position on the field because he's mostly a pinch-hitter in the ruck and only effective against non-physical opponents.

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Going off the highlights you would think he's a star.

He is capable of startling things and is a very smart player who contributes subtle one-percenters as well as being a lovely kick for goal. And he does it all with a languid grace that makes it appear so simple. However there is some sort of disconnect whereby he can't involve himself in the humdrum of a game - linking up with handball, trapping the ball in the area with a defensive tackle, standing in front of the pack where he can't mark but aims to bring the ball to ground.

He still might make into an AFL player but probably needs another 12 months of development. He really needs to nail down a position on the field because he's mostly a pinch-hitter in the ruck and only effective against non-physical opponents.
Hopefully Steven King can polish the rough diamond

Back