2021 NON AFL Thread - finance, ratings, participation etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

- Redcliffe will apparently be the 17th NRL club. This is good news for the Brisbane Lions' expansion into Springfield, because if the Ipswich bid was accepted instead, they would have been competing in the same catchment area for new fans.

- News Corp are injecting an extra $75m over 5 years into the NRL. This covers Redcliffe's annual central grant and gives the NRL head office an extra $2m per year on top.

- In further good news for the Lions, the deal means up to 25% more Broncos games will be taken off FTA and given to Fox Sports.

- The deal with News Corp seems to have annoyed Channel Nine, which will make the upcoming negotiations for FTA rights beyond 2022 even more difficult.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
For obvious reasons the Rugby League would be far more popular in the UK than the AFL. I'm not even sure if the UK has a 18 a side comp.
The US is anybody's guess

Really, why does Google trends show that the AFL and NRL popularity being roughly the same in the UK? Do you have alternative evidence?

Also, best guess in the US is the AFL is 3 times more popular. Dats what Google trends suggests.

Lip Gallagher

Club Legend
Nov 11, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
For obvious reasons the Rugby League would be far more popular in the UK than the AFL. I'm not even sure if the UK has a 18 a side comp.
Please, enlighten me.
C92F3F09-ECBB-439B-AD6E-6CD2587FEBAB.jpeg

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

The UK has had an 18 a side comp since the early 90s. The US since 1997.

Google trends show interest, broadcast ratings are something else.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

- Redcliffe will apparently be the 17th NRL club. This is good news for the Brisbane Lions' expansion into Springfield, because if the Ipswich bid was accepted instead, they would have been competing in the same catchment area for new fans.

- News Corp are injecting an extra $75m over 5 years into the NRL. This covers Redcliffe's annual central grant and gives the NRL head office an extra $2m per year on top.

- In further good news for the Lions, the deal means up to 25% more Broncos games will be taken off FTA and given to Fox Sports.

- The deal with News Corp seems to have annoyed Channel Nine, which will make the upcoming negotiations for FTA rights beyond 2022 even more difficult.

StanSport will look at how $much it can bid to oust Foxtel.

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Really, why does Google trends show that the AFL and NRL popularity being roughly the same in the UK? Do you have alternative evidence?

Also, best guess in the US is the AFL is 3 times more popular. Dats what Google trends suggests.
It's where the game was founded. I'm surprised you didn't know that

Lip Gallagher

Club Legend
Nov 11, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
I have family in the UK a that have never seen a game of AF played anywhere in England. Perhaps i will tell them to get out more
I live in Victoria and I have never seen a game of rugby league played, never seen a game of American football played either.

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne

The highest attendance for a COMPETITIVE AFL game in the UK is 1,500. That would even embarrass the A-League
Please post a link if you have any states to back up your claim

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's where the game was founded. I'm surprised you didn't know that

The google trends shows the relative level of interest in the UK between the AFL and the NRL.

The fact that rugby league has its origins there, and Australian football wasn't even played there until 30 odd years ago I suspect is only relevant as a source of sadness for those lighting candles every night for the NRL.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
1 + 1 is not simply whatever you want it to be.

Haha, yeah OK

You thought that Aussie in exile 's english family never having seen a game of Aus football played in England (what a strange fact to know as an aside...did he ask them this specifically?) deserved a like

You thouight that Lip Gallagher deserved to have his "sports fan" credentials questioned for not having seen a League game played in Melbourne. It is just so weird!

Here's something to consider: there are more adult Aus football teams in London than there are adult rugby league teams in Melbourne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back