Health Depression

Remove this Banner Ad

Seen a psych, absolutely useless, everyone tells you just do things that make you happy but nothing does anymore. Like I said I’ve been dealing with this for 30 years, I’m tired of the battle

Dude your art is super impressive. Have you thought about opening a gallery or anything like that?

Mar 25, 2021
Omnipresent
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears, Perth Scorchers
Seen a psych, absolutely useless, everyone tells you just do things that make you happy but nothing does anymore. Like I said I’ve been dealing with this for 30 years, I’m tired of the battle

I have seen a psychologist, nothing wrong with the person but it just wasn't for me. I can't talk myself out of my problems.

I never been treated by a GP, I got a referral to a psychiatrist. Can get expensive but it might be worth a try. Psychiatrists are highly qualified and will prescribe meds that the GP's won't. They are basically too scared to. I've seen multiple GP clinics who have signs on the door saying they won't prescribe addictive stuff. I'm coming up to around 20 years of treatment but I've suffered my whole life.

Catsnlakers

Even Hank Moody is in awe of Geelong!
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
L.A Angels, Anaheim Ducks & M.Stars
I’m starting to find myself getting more & more agitated with things, & the pull of wanting to “escape” is beginning to rise again...I’m just over this s**t, it’s becoming harder & harder.

Mar 25, 2021
Omnipresent
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Are you guys getting mental health help?

Spent a fortune since 2003 going through three psychiatrists, a psychologist and how much spent on every pill you can imagine.

I've been diagnosed as "treatment resistant". I've actually never been an in patient though.

Got to the point where frying my brain (ECT) was an option. I was all for it, I'd try anything.

Now there is this new magnetic therapy (TMS). It sounds like bullshit to me but people have said they've got results. I will mention it at my next appointment.

I suppose they may help people but I don't get the point of Beyond Blue and Lifeline etc. Where does that money go? Not to me I can tell you.

Perth gal

Premiership Player
Oct 19, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Spent a fortune since 2003 going through three psychiatrists, a psychologist and how much spent on every pill you can imagine.

I've been diagnosed as "treatment resistant". I've actually never been an in patient though.

Got to the point where frying my brain (ECT) was an option. I was all for it, I'd try anything.

Now there is this new magnetic therapy (TMS). It sounds like bullshit to me but people have said they've got results. I will mention it at my next appointment.

I suppose they may help people but I don't get the point of Beyond Blue and Lifeline etc. Where does that money go? Not to me I can tell you.
I haven’t heard of TMS. I’ll look into it. If you’ve only been to one psychologist though....I’ve been to tonnes and they were all crap. Finally found one that fits . Keep searching mate.

Mar 25, 2021
Omnipresent
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I haven’t heard of TMS. I’ll look into it. If you’ve only been to one psychologist though....I’ve been to tonnes and they were all crap. Finally found one that fits . Keep searching mate.

TMS (see link below) I read in the paper has just been approved by Medicare. So if you don't have private health insurance you will now get something back. No idea of the cost though, but if it is covered by Medicare it must be a proven treatment.

I've only seen one psychologist and I liked them. But I just didn't think psychology is something for me. Everyone is different and I not the sort that can talk themselves out of their problems. I have a family history of depression/anxiety so for me it is probably more a biological thing than a psychological one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You need to see a better psychologist then.

Can't reiterate this enough. I'd been to counseling before and never had any success. After a few failures, I just decided that you're either a bit off your nut or you're not, and those of us who are just have to get through it.

Ended up finding a psych at the end of last year who has changed my life. Like any field, there's people who are good at their jobs and there are those that aren't. Keep looking until you find your fit.

Mar 25, 2021
Omnipresent
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I pulled out of a job interview today. First job interview in about 3 years I think. As a a result I feel terrible and I want to tell my job agency to cease contact with me for the time being as I'm not sure I even want to work right now.

Is that a Centrelink thing where these agencies send you to jobs where you are not fit for?

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
Is that a Centrelink thing where these agencies send you to jobs where you are not fit for?

No it's not Centrelink, but maybe I wasn't fit for it. I think getting dressed up was probably the major barrier. I got up earlier and showered, but then called up and cancelled when it was time to put on interview clothes. Getting dressed is also one of my main barriers for attending functions.

Mar 25, 2021
Omnipresent
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
No it's not Centrelink, but maybe I wasn't fit for it. I think getting dressed up was probably the major barrier. I got up earlier and showered, but then called up and cancelled when it was time to put on interview clothes. Getting dressed is also one of my main barriers for attending functions.

I hear you. If I had a job interview or a fight for my life I would chose the fight.

I've been having nightmares all week. Last night I dreamt I went to the doctor and he was woke and he gave me woke advice that didn't make sense.
what advice

Mar 25, 2021
Omnipresent
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I've been having nightmares all week. Last night I dreamt I went to the doctor and he was woke and he gave me woke advice that didn't make sense.

Are you an any meds? I've been on meds that have given me weird dreams. Not nightmares, just crazy psychedelic type stuff.

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
I have some of the typical symptoms like loss of interests, and that exacerbates the depression so it becomes a cycle.
Keeping a routine has really helped me. I've had a lot of external factors in the past 3-4 months, But ive found the Gym, making sure I catch up with someone at least once a week really has helped me at least not get worse

Remove this Banner Ad

Back