Women's Footy AFLW Season 2022 - [C(Aine) feel that it's (Tighe)me?]

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, the ladies are back on the track, and ready to tear the competition a new one.
Still no-one has been able to run Turbo down in the time trial.
And I honestly can't believe how tiny some of these women are, and yet they terrify me.

Jay Van Berlo and Daniel Haines joining the coaching group, Ibbo moving on

Sep 18, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Districts Vancouver Canucks
The AFLW is stating to slowly gain a foothold.

Conversion from yesterday with my primary school aged daughters.

Ok: Well the WAFL grand final is over, no more football until March.

D1 and D2 (together): Daaadddd! What about the lady dockers!!!??

Yes, I'm a dinosaur 🦕- but my daughters are awesome.

We're looking forward to another AFLW season!

footyknut

Team Captain
Jun 28, 2011
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
EB1AC871-618E-4CA6-BF03-C74976A761DF.png

The girls are looking fit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
Our rise up the ladder under Trent Cooper seemed to be the ability to kick a winning score by punishing teams on the rebound, so i'll be interested to see if we re-jig our forward line without a couple of key players, especially x-factor in Duffy who is one player that would create a bit of chaos with the opposition defenders and take a half chance. Where the general problem in AFLW is poor conversion (as much as it is in men's AFL) - difference being that when the first inside 50m in AFLW is shallow it usually requires 2 more kicks to score - Duffy could turn that into a 1 kick chance by taking the game on.

Though Sharp was well down on her best last season, she is another missing cog. She was a star in the previous seasons with her speed and 1v1 marking - and where we might have hoped we just had to get the player back into form with a solid pre-season - now we need to find a replacement.

I assume in todays twitter photos that the tallish #10 standing alongside Bob Murphy is Aine Tighe who missed last season with a knee injury. Could she be used as a forward this season? Is there a ready-to-play genuine 2nd ruck on our list who can help out Strom and be a forward marking target alongside Houghton?

What role for Kara Antonio in 2022? She has the smarts of a mature football to win a few contests and tie the ball up, but whether through age or injury she lacked the zip to be a dangerous pressure and goal scoring forward.

I don't follow Women's WAFL form so I assume there some other options on our list that haven't played yet. Appreciate anyone posting a forward 50 set up for 2022. I've only got Houghton and O'Sullivan so far as definites. Ebony Antonio could be a great CHF but I guess she might be required in other positions.

! Forgot about Roxy Roux! That's 3. Cooper seemed to want something different as part of the mix last season when he tried O'Driscoll up forward a few times.

Last edited:

CapitalA

Club Legend
Nov 18, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Our rise up the ladder under Trent Cooper seemed to be the ability to kick a winning score by punishing teams on the rebound, so i'll be interested to see if we re-jig our forward line without a couple of key players, especially x-factor in Duffy who is one player that would create a bit of chaos with the opposition defenders and take a half chance. Where the general problem in AFLW is poor conversion (as much as it is in men's AFL) - difference being that when the first inside 50m in AFLW is shallow it usually requires 2 more kicks to score - Duffy could turn that into a 1 kick chance by taking the game on.

Though Sharp was well down on her best last season, she is another missing cog. She was a star in the previous seasons with her speed and 1v1 marking - and where we might have hoped we just had to get the player back into form with a solid pre-season - now we need to find a replacement.

I assume in todays twitter photos that the tallish #10 standing alongside Bob Murphy is Aine Tighe who missed last season with a knee injury. Could she be used as a forward this season? Is there a ready-to-play genuine 2nd ruck on our list who can help out Strom and be a forward marking target alongside Houghton?

What role for Kara Antonio in 2022? She has the smarts of a mature football to win a few contests and tie the ball up, but whether through age or injury she lacked the zip to be a dangerous pressure and goal scoring forward.

I don't follow Women's WAFL form so I assume there some other options on our list that haven't played yet. Appreciate anyone posting a forward 50 set up for 2022. I've only got Houghton and O'Sullivan so far as definites. Ebony Antonio could be a great CHF but I guess she might be required in other positions.

! Forgot about Roxy Roux! That's 3. Cooper seemed to want something different as part of the mix last season when he tried O'Driscoll up forward a few times.
We also have Franklin to play forward, I am very interested to see how she goes this season.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle

I love Duffy and Sharp but I am excited to see what others can do in their absence.

Mikayla Morrison has x-factor aplenty - like Duffy if the ball comes near her she looks very dangerous.

Mikayla Hyde is another who might take another step. Still find it incredible she debuted round 1 last year after only being drafted 10 days earlier.

Makaela Tuhakaraina is tiny but I'd be surprised if she isn't the quickest player on our list now. I have no idea how ready she is for AFLW but if she manages to step up to the level nobody will be able to catch her.

Aine Tighe remains the player I want to see play more than anyone. She was the quickest on the list (prior to Tuhakaraina) and she's 185cm. Her ruck work is as good as anyone I've seen but she also looks smart in the forward line as well. Her height and agility combo will be very hard to stop. Just needs some Irish luck on the injury front.

Amy Franklin looked really good at WAFLW and I can't wait to see how she develops in a professional environment. I like her as a forward but she can also play back.

Sarah Wielstra is solid as a forward/ruck option as well.

Roux looks primed to rip the competition a new one next year - she looks amazing. If Houghton tears you apart and you need to double-team the other forwards are still all capable of being damaging.

I'm assuming O'Sullivan and McMahon will remain as half forwards. I'm not sure of the plan for the Kara Antonio though? And I am hoping Verrier is ready to start playing midfield.

If Seth plays as a midfielder, I will not be surprised to see Ebony Antonio go back to Centre Half Back where imo she plays her best football.

Expecting something like this round 1:

B Cuthbertson ~ Pugh
HB Stannett ~ EAntonio ~ KAntonio
C Cain ~ Miller ~ Runnalls
HF Roux ~ Tighe ~ O'Sullivan
F Houghton ~ Morrison
R Strom ~ Seth ~ Bowers
I/C Franklin ~ Stewart ~ Verrier ~ Sergeant ~ Hyde

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
I love Duffy and Sharp but I am excited to see what others can do in their absence.

Mikayla Morrison has x-factor aplenty - like Duffy if the ball comes near her she looks very dangerous.

Mikayla Hyde is another who might take another step. Still find it incredible she debuted round 1 last year after only being drafted 10 days earlier.

Makaela Tuhakaraina is tiny but I'd be surprised if she isn't the quickest player on our list now. I have no idea how ready she is for AFLW but if she manages to step up to the level nobody will be able to catch her.

Aine Tighe remains the player I want to see play more than anyone. She was the quickest on the list (prior to Tuhakaraina) and she's 185cm. Her ruck work is as good as anyone I've seen but she also looks smart in the forward line as well. Her height and agility combo will be very hard to stop. Just needs some Irish luck on the injury front.

Amy Franklin looked really good at WAFLW and I can't wait to see how she develops in a professional environment. I like her as a forward but she can also play back.

Roux looks primed to rip the competition a new one next year - she looks amazing. If Houghton tears you apart and you need to double-team the other forwards are still all capable of being damaging.

I'm assuming O'Sullivan and McMahon will remain as half forwards. I'm not sure of the plan for the Kara Antonio though? And I am hoping Verrier is ready to start playing midfield.

If Seth plays as a midfielder, I will not be surprised to see Ebony Antonio go back to Centre Half Back where imo she plays her best football.

B Cuthbertson ~ Pugh
F Houghton ~ Morrison
R Strom ~ Seth ~ Bowers
You forgot Ellyse Perry.

Come on Fyfe put the moves on.

showemhowtorock

Cancelled
Jun 18, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle

B Cuthbertson ~ Pugh
F Houghton ~ Morrison
R Strom ~ Seth ~ Bowers
fffff this just got me so hyped!!!
I'm pretty bullish on Tuhakaraina, hopefully she's been putting in the work cause her highlights are electric!
And hopefully Aine can get on the park, she was BOG when she went down in that practice match and we haven't seen her since :(

NonPhixion

Bookie Assassin
Mar 27, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cleveland Browns, Tony Ferguson
whats the situation with Duffy? is she going to be out for the entire season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back