PC Pc Gaming/building thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I wasn't sure off the top of my head so in that 10 minutes I spent looking I couldn't believe that 2060 builds were still pushing $2k. 1660 is a decent compromise for a casual gaming PC, but I find it hard recommending anything with a 1650 to anyone though those builds are still starting at $1500. Things really are in a bad way aren't they 😕
Apparently the used price for a 2060 right now is ~50% higher than its original MSRP 😅. So yes, PC things are in a bad way

Downloading it now, might install it on a device at work and muck around with it. Sounds like the Windows Update package should be up early tomorrow morning so I may just wait for that to become active before installing it on my home PC (assuming there are no major issues discovered)
Is it possible to install on a VM?
I did that with linux to test it

is it particularly like demanding?

Well the first challenge I faced was that I need my VM to pass through or simulate having a TPM module.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lemme know what you think, when'll you install it?
Dug up my old Dell laptop at work and did a clean install (didn't want to risk it on a domain joined PC). Apart from the Start Menu being rubbish it looks fine, there isn't a whole lot of difference between it and Windows 10. That Start Menu though............ they turned it into the home screen of Edge, with your commonly used apps just randomly tiled on the main screen.......... the centered stuff you can fix easily, but the layout of the menu is a little crap.

Dug up my old Dell laptop at work and did a clean install (didn't want to risk it on a domain joined PC). Apart from the Start Menu being rubbish it looks fine, there isn't a whole lot of difference between it and Windows 10. That Start Menu though............ they turned it into the home screen of Edge, with your commonly used apps just randomly tiled on the main screen.......... the centered stuff you can fix easily, but the layout of the menu is a little crap.
wait so then, why are people getting it?
Like what positives come out of it.

Well the first challenge I faced was that I need my VM to pass through or simulate having a TPM module.
Was going to say something about the TPM module but didn't because I wasn't sure if Microsoft had changed their mind about it after the backlash they'd received about the lack of CPUs supported by Windows 11

Apparently it'll work really well with the upcoming Intel CPUs and their new "big little" architecture

is it 14nm++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So like is there a point?
I can get it, but idk if it's worth the hassle.
Right now I'm not sure there's a real rush. Windows 10 isn't going anywhere anytime soon, and there are no real standout features (so far) that you're going to miss by not going to Windows 11 right this second. It's also not much of a hassle, the in-place upgrade seems to work fairly seamlessly from what I've read.

If you want to upgrade to something shiny and new then go for it, otherwise you're fine sticking to Windows 10 for now.

Right now I'm not sure there's a real rush. Windows 10 isn't going anywhere anytime soon, and there are no real standout features (so far) that you're going to miss by not going to Windows 11 right this second. It's also not much of a hassle, the in-place upgrade seems to work fairly seamlessly from what I've read.

If you want to upgrade to something shiny and new then go for it, otherwise you're fine sticking to Windows 10 for now.
shiny and new does sound nice...will it have any issues with my current software and apps?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back