No Oppo Supporters The Positivity Thread

Madas

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
That last game was so bad I genuinely wonder if we tanked it .
To the draft gurus out there : what would the difference have been between bombing out in the first final compared to finishing 11th to our picks ?

Sep 18, 2015
The Hippodrome
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hornets, Mariners, Falcons
It's a positive because it's hilarious and cringe.

Anyone here ever go onto the Bluemour thread on Carltons board?

Do yourself a favour, especially if you're from Melbourne like me and bored during lockdown

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Gee, I thought it was bad when the rumours around our club are "We've got something big coming" but imagine the moodswings of a Carlton fan

One ITK says Clarko is on board, one says he's considering it, one says he's no chance, another says Ross is on board, and then 5 more say Clarko is on board

And better yet, Clarko himself comes out and says he's not on board!

Gee, I thought it was bad when the rumours around our club are "We've got something big coming" but imagine the moodswings of a Carlton fan

One ITK says Clarko is on board, one says he's considering it, one says he's no chance, another says Ross is on board, and then 5 more say Clarko is on board

And better yet, Clarko himself comes out and says he's not on board!

Aug 16, 2009
UK
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Dragons FFC, Old Easts
It's a positive because it's hilarious and cringe.

Anyone here ever go onto the Bluemour thread on Carltons board?

Do yourself a favour, especially if you're from Melbourne like me and bored during lockdown

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app
They do realise that bloomers are little girls undies don’t they?

Heart Of Purple

All Australian
Mar 26, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
MIA for much of the season:

Sturt, Cox, Chapman, Frederick, Hamling.

Then towards the end:

Fyfe, Walters, Lobb.

Even with all that, we were still pushing to potentially play in the Finals in the very last Round.

That's some handy inclusions if we get a bit of a break in 2022 (!!)

Think it’s pretty hard to claim Chapman being out.
It’s a loss for his development but he was far from a best 18 player in the games he played this year AND plays a position we have hundreds of guys in.
Sturts probably similar in that he hasn’t proven all that much yet … what he can do is however really unique to our list and his absence is hence critical

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Paracleet

Emotion is not going to get the job done..
Jun 30, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
It’s a loss for his development but he was far from a best 18 player in the games he played this year AND plays a position we have hundreds of guys in.
Sturts probably similar in that he hasn’t proven all that much yet … what he can do is however really unique to our list and his absence is hence critical
Chapman was actually ranked 3 in the rising star metrics when he went down as I recall. I agree his presence or absence at this stage of his career is not going make a difference to where we finished on the ladder. He was holding his spot on merit though. Stuart actually got dropped and was injured playing WAFL.

Quazar

Cancelled
Aug 31, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Manchester United, Colorado Aves

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

point was more based on players with ability, potential, experience etc.....probably can't play all of them anyway, but there's some handy additions to be able to choose from ;)

BStaff17

Premiership Player
Aug 1, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
I listened to the JL podcast with Mundy and Logue today.

Sam sturt come out of it very good. It was interesting that JL mentioned he would help with opposition analysis when he was in victoria and seems very committed to the club and wanting to learn more about the game despite the injuries.

Hopefully he gets a good run at it next year

Cesoir

Club Legend
Feb 11, 2019
Cairns
AFL Club
Fremantle
OK, time for me to inject some positivity into our future prospects. A bit of background...

I started following footy in 1963, the end of a premiership for the mighty Black and Whites. I was young and besotted by legendary names like Haydn Bunton, Billy Walker, Keith Slater, Bagley, Turnbull, Castledine - to a kid from the bush they were more than mere mortals and the Swannies were a team of titans.

Then, of course once I started following them they collapsed in a screaming heap and were a rabble for the next 15 years or more. I moved from Harvey to Perth, and I lived in Bassendean so I could walk to Basso oval and had a regular seat in the McDonald Stand. Then I got a job working in a gold mine near Southern Cross and I would drive 4 hours each way every weekend to watch them play, even though they were generally rubbish and collected multiple wooden spoons.

Then in 1980 I moved to Queensland to live, and of course in 1982-84 Swans went on another threepeat of premierships, which I missed after all those years of mediocrity. There was no WAFL coverage in Queensland in those days, but I paid an exorbitant amount of money to Channel 7 for a video replay and it was shipped over where a bunch of us intrepid Sandgropers watched it through the resort video on South Molle Island. Glory days!

So what has this to do with Freo? Well, I have been following this club since its inception, through the (few) good times and the (many) bad times. It has been a longer dry spell than I suffered through with Swans, but it is about to end. Once again I am migrating to Queensland, and I have no doubt that history will repeat itself and they will win a flag right when I am not able to go and watch it live. I really don't even care, I just want us to win one and get the monkey off our backs and I have a feeling in my water that it will be 2023 - two years after I move away.

So based purely on superstition and omens I am going to predict we make the eight in 2022, in fact I think we will more than make up the numbers and will win at least one final as our kids start to believe in themselves. Then in 2023 once again the Purple Army will win the hearts of the whole country and we will sweep all before us for a glorious premiership victory.

As it is written, so shall it be.

Troy Cooked It

Senior List
Jul 3, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Fremantle have actually figured out that repeatedly drafting first round picks gives us the best chance of sustained success and we are sticking to that plan.
in the last 5 years we have created over a quarter of our starting 18 in top 10 picks drafted alone, now including Aish and Brodie makes it half the starting team.

Pick 6, 8, Young, Serong, Henry, Brayshaw, Logue, Aish and Brodie (really wish I could be writing Cerra here still)

That is just top 10 talent! Players in their draft year who were chosen as being in the 10 best players of their year, which says to me that the talent exists in these players and it's about extracting it. With our young culture building with JLo's more human and relationship style of coaching I think it's a good chance we at least get a fair bit of that talent functioning together.

Now include other first round picks in Chapman, Clark, Sturt and Acres (lol just kidding I am reasonable those last two cant be counted, yet* for Sturt at least). Those first three all have shown that they have AFL qualities would go in at a guess in most people's future best 22s.

This amount of talent is rare to have, two teams have had it but couldn't develop it (Carlton and Melbourne) and then GWS have barely kept it together to get to 1 abysmal grand final showing. Two clear difference stand in favour of Freo over the rest, firstly our development I think is better than average. Considering that we have hit (I define a hit if they are/look likely best 22 players) on all of our first round picks for the last 5 years, our worst is a coin toss between Logue and Henry who imo are both clearly AFL quality and best 22 for the next 6-10 years, nothing like recent choices by our Carlton friends :tearsofjoy:

Secondly since 2017 our drafting team has put a larger weighting on the person's character and their leadership abilities. All our recent draftees are good characters with leadership abilities and traits. Selfless types, not selfish types. Ones with the work ethic to make the right choices all year, not destabilise the club. Players to push the standards at training and who have written in their lockers "The first 22 to win a premiership for Freo will be immortal". Gws had the talent who could care less, enjoy their very large paypackets for getting signed into the AFL's real favourite child and leave when they didn't get what they wanted.

We are set for a good period, a really really good period with a very long window and if injuries aren't cursed to us forever, having continuity with this talent in the 22 will give us one red hot crack at our first flag.

This last part isn't exactly positive and belongs in the young talent thread but also just needs to be said. Breaking down this talent there is one part that is holding us back, several have made this point and I am a bit surprised there are few that agree. None of that talent is in our fwd 50. Henry is the closest to it but could grow into more of a winger. We need to bite the bullet and draft players who play predominantly in the fwd 50 or we could see the list of talent be wasted kicking to a dysfunctional sub par forward line. With our current drafting hit rate, I do not care if pick 6 and 8 are a reach. They need to be forwards.

Hey look it might just be a coincidence that the one part of the ground for us is abysmal and it just happens to be the area with zero top talent running through it, but since its been 2 coaches and nearly 10 years (jesus christ when will it end) why not just see wait and see for another rookie roughie instead. For balance take a medium and a tall so they both can develop instead of starving each other of opportunity and development.

Think positive thoughts people!
:innocent:

Daddoo

Master Chef
Oct 31, 2015
Chicago
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers Milwaukee Brewers
Thank you both for a great read over my morning cup o joe.

I firmly believe as fans we need to find joy in sport that doesn’t solely rest on “winning it all”. I’m not saying not to care when we lose but there are lots of places to enjoy the journey. I think this team is going to give us some good memories over the next several years.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

SiempreFreo

All Australian
Sep 29, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
We need to bite the bullet and draft players who play predominantly in the fwd 50 or we could see the list of talent be wasted kicking to a dysfunctional sub par forward line. With our current drafting hit rate, I do not care if pick 6 and 8 are a reach. They need to be forwards.
YES!
I've just watched Freo's famous 2001, Round 18 defeat of the Hawks away, coming back from 41 points down in their first AFL win for more than a YEAR. A young Longmuir -"here's the man who doesn't miss!" booted 5 goals, an equally young Pav with Bell not far behind.

Two impressive developing tall forwards plus a running machine in Peter Bell helped Freo to an historic win. More of all that thanks chaps.....

ROGS

Senior List
Jun 4, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
I listened to the JL podcast with Mundy and Logue today.

Sam sturt come out of it very good. It was interesting that JL mentioned he would help with opposition analysis when he was in victoria and seems very committed to the club and wanting to learn more about the game despite the injuries.

Hopefully he gets a good run at it next year
If Sturt can stay fit he will be a match winner,seen enough of him at Peel to know he has the required X factor

Madas

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Bumping this thread people .

I applaud the club for backing in West Aussie talent and hope it will be duly repaid .
It seems at face value that they have chosen kids with good values and character , so kudos for this as well .

Finally appeasing the Freo Faithful with some forward line depth and midfield options was just what the ( Freo) doctor ordered .

Couldn’t be happier, I’m a massive supporter of keeping WA talent in WA so they have done me proud.

Now get to work Freo and bring us back a Cup , ya pack of Mongrels !!

Fyfster

Club Legend
Nov 6, 2017
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont
Can we just take a step back and appreciate just how the recruiters have absolutely nailed the last few years in terms of picks.

Holy sh*t we've got exciting times ahead. I can't think of a time where the list has been this skillful across all lines.
Really wanted Erasmus was keen on Johnson , Amiss (read my previous posts) was not my preferred option but happy to be proven wrong . Was very much in JVR camp but I am a Claremont supporter . Benning could be something in a couple of years who knows ? Pretty pleased we got our big bodied mids and a forward with heaps of upside and a long term ruck forward option.So looking forward to next year bring it on !!

ozzie69

All Australian
Jun 28, 2013
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
We've absolutely nailed this draft. In all my years of following Freo (27 or whatever is is now), I've never seen a draft follow the fans overall wishes so closely.
But we'll need to be a bit patient with this latest crop.
Most of them have not really played much against men and it will be a big step up from juniors. We can't expect to push tall skinny types into AFL too quickly or they'll get killed (look at Chappy last year, Young the year prior). If we can push through most of the year with our existing team (plus Clark and Brodie), then these guys can all find their feet at Peel and maybe push Peel back towards another GF.
Later on in the season we might be able to give these guys a run in the seniors once they have settled in a bit.

For mine, Bunnings has the most exciting highlights video of all of them - almost on another planet. But it will be quite a while before he could be played against AFL level aggression without being snapped in two.

But overall, can't wait to see this build continue. The off season is once again going to take forever.

Back