Delisted Charlie Constable [drafted by Gold Coast at pick 63]

Remove this Banner Ad

Should have cashed him in when they had the chance.

I remember Geelong fans scoffing when we suggested he could have been part of a Jack Steven deal. Apparently he was the future of your club.

Now he's worth nothing.
Yes try and twist that invisible knife, but that was 2 years ago and at that point he was still promising. Since then he has done nothing and shown his true value, you wouldn't find a Cats fan who cares though, since we gave up nothing for Steven anyway.

No doubt Geelong feel he isn't training hard enough, but it's obscene that he's been given 12 games over four years whilst they top up around him and a few others. Surely you have to give kids a run in the side so they know what it takes? He may never make it, but it feels to me like Geelong's coaching group have incredibly high standards, built on past glories that are now a decade old, and need to adapt to help the less mature and/or resilient kids get a go.

The issue isnt standards he works hard and the coaches like him. Its that his tank is terrible for the modern game he cant run out games at afl speed.

I remember Geelong fans scoffing when we suggested he could have been part of a Jack Steven deal. Apparently he was the future of your club.

Now he's worth nothing.
Given Steven was a complete bust, I'm not sure how trading Constable for him would have been 'cashing in'. At this point we'd still perceive it as a loss as he'd likely still be on your list while Steven is long gone from ours.

We also just paid pick 58 for Steven regardless. If that's the type of value we're talking about for Constable, we could probably get similar now. If that's the height his value reached I don't think we've hurt ourselves too badly by keeping him, and we're still more likely to get a player out of him should he stay than had we punted on a pick in the 50s two years ago. When you're talking about that kind of draft capital, it was absolutely worth holding on at the time.

Now he's worth nothing.
Yeah well we just thought he'd build a tank over time. You can't blame us for thinking it and if he was able to run at all he'd be weapon. He just can't.

Now he's worth nothing.
Being involved in the Jack Steven deal would also have valued him at nothing so I don't see the difference.

Think he is done as cats would let him go for peanuts, fact no news really on him spells time is up at AFL level.

Sounds like he'll be staying at Geelong if he can't get a trade.

But they didn't say in what capacity – VFL list?

The fact that we signed 5 guys today and not him and hes the last senior listed guy without a contract is a giveaway that we will delist him if he cant find a trade..we might re rookie him depending on whats available in the rookie draft..or sign him to our vfl squad. We need players for our vfl list and it will be hard to get interstaters for that due to the covid restrictions (most good players will prefer sanfl or wafl for now) so we might sign him there like we did with lang this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we will rookie him as we did with henderson and brownless a couple years ago-this is purely to give us flexibility with how many picks we use at the draft plus DFAs (stengle is coming and we will be looking closely at schlensog and brander). I doubt another club takes him before that but if they do i hope he does well...he is a good kid just needs to get his running up to afl standard.

I think we will rookie him as we did with henderson and brownless a couple years ago-this is purely to give us flexibility with how many picks we use at the draft plus DFAs (stengle is coming and we will be looking closely at schlensog and brander). I doubt another club takes him before that but if they do i hope he does well...he is a good kid just needs to get his running up to afl standard.
To be honest I can imagine there would be a few rookies in state leagues we'd look at first.

Considering the age profile of Geelong I am surprised they are getting rid of Constable. May not be needed right now but in 18 months they could very much need him.

Hmmm well he has been shopped around for two years now - at basically no cost to the acquiring club - and not one of 17 other clubs have been interested.

Considering the age profile of Geelong I am surprised they are getting rid of Constable. May not be needed right now but in 18 months they could very much need him.
If no other club is wanting him, it may just be that he is a VFL player. He would probably get found out more on a bad AFL team so still ends up being a VFL player

Fringe players on good teams don't often become solid players on bad teams

If no other club is wanting him, it may just be that he is a VFL player. He would probably get found out more on a bad AFL team so still ends up being a VFL player

Fringe players on good teams don't often become solid players on bad teams
Ben Keays
Jarryd Lyons
Hugh Greenwood
Sam Collins
Tom Hickey
Jack Steele
Josh P Kennedy
Jarrod Witts
Matt De Boer
Lincoln McCarthy
Tim Membrey
Toby Nankervis

and they're just off the top of my head.

The thing that makes it hard for Constable is that as an unathletic midfielder, you need a point of difference; contested marking, elite disposal, forward craft, crazy pressure whatever it is, but he's yet to show he has any more strings to his bow other than contested ball winning.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back