Traded Will Brodie [traded with #19, #61, #69 to Fremantle for F2, F4]

Remove this Banner Ad

Wages off the books, list spots freed up, and a huge amount of picks for 2022. Not optimal but unfortunately it is where we find ourselves.

You will get Clarkson next year - lock it in. Armed with a fist full of picks he will smash it out the park for you. AFL will make it happen - we need a strong Gold Coast. CC just doing a bit of "spring cleaning" good things are coming, hold on tight you are in for some great times.

Well done Freo. Pick 19 this year for a pick that will be mid 20's at best next year and 2x4th rounders this year for 1x4th rounder next year. All for taking on a player that could still be ok or at least provide decent depth.

Wish Hawthorn did that deal to be honest.

Pick 19 has particular value as the first pick of night 2 of the draft. If there are any draft sliders (like Dev Robertson last time) you could trade for a future first with another club, effectively trading a future 2nd for a future first.

FREO
In: 6, 41, F2 (Carlton), Clark
Out: 19, F3, Cerra

CARLTON
In: Cerra, F3 (Freo)
Out: 6, F2

GEELONG
In: 19
Out: 41, Clark

Might need late pick shuffles between the sides but that looks right to me.

I don't get why it's a massive issue? It's happening between clubs 11 and 16 (16 and 18 if it was us) when FA's are regularly going to clubs in the window, not sure why it's causing so much angst?
free agents are nothing to do with clubs selling their salary cap space.

the afl knows this is a bad route to go down, hence why they have rules against it. but why bother with those rules if theyre not going to enforce them.

to say nothing of the afl giving gc special assistance in the forms of draft picks, only for the suns to literally throw it away in a losing trade.

Wages off the books, list spots freed up, and a huge amount of picks for 2022. Not optimal but unfortunately it is where we find ourselves.

Not optimal? You have paid Fremantle to take Brodie. They end up with a player and better picks than when they started.

It is insane.

Collingwood were humiliated last year when this happened. Yet there will probably be crickets with GCS because everyone just expects a basket case to basket.

Not optimal? You have paid Fremantle to take Brodie. They end up with a player and better picks than when they started.

It is insane.

Collingwood were humiliated last year when this happened. Yet there will probably be crickets with GCS because everyone just expects a basket case to basket.

Think Will Brodie is a fair bit less significant than Treloar, Stephenson, Phillips and Bosenavulagi (the first two easily in Collingwood’s best 22) though. Brodie has been looking around for years now so I don’t think it’s like he’s been dragged kicking and screaming out of GC. Collingwood hasn’t been forced to overpay young players to retain them against the challenges of the go-home factor like GC has.

I think we should be a bit more lenient for the reasons above.

Might need late pick shuffles between the sides but that looks right to me.
Hahaha. You weren’t offering pick 41 as well as Clark in exchange for 19 an hour ago, until cal Twomey broke his news of pick 22 also getting traded to the dockers. Bell playing a blinder
😂😂

what the actual * is that trade? Gold Coast send better picks AND a player to receive worse picks back?

How does that even get signed off ? - Is this what the AFL was wanting when they sent that basket case more priority picks?? THEY LITERALLY SENT THEIR GIFTED PRIORITY PICK OFF WITH A PLAYER TO RECIEVE A SHITTIER DRAFT PICK BACK

I know it's 9 years later, but if deals like this are allowed to happen, why exactly did the AFL block #23 & Jessie White for Tippett back in 2012 for not passing 'the sniff test' - which then obviously lead to the infamous trade clause fiasco -

but how does this trade pass any integrity oversight?

what the actual fu** is that trade? Gold Coast send better picks AND a player to receive worse picks back?

How does that even get signed off ? - Is this what the AFL was wanting when they sent that basket case more priority picks?? THEY LITERALLY SENT THEIR GIFTED PRIORITY PICK OFF WITH A PLAYER TO RECIEVE A SHITTIER DRAFT PICK BACK

I know it's 9 years later, but if deals like this are allowed to happen, why exactly did the AFL block #23 & Jessie White for Tippett back in 2012 for not passing 'the sniff test' - which then obviously lead to the infamous trade clause fiasco -

I agree.

Fancy giving them #19 in addition to the player, makes no sense to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what the actual fu** is that trade? Gold Coast send better picks AND a player to receive worse picks back?

It's cause adelaide cheated with tippets contract and rightly got punished. Good stuff by the afl.

I'm convinced anyone convinced this is a clear win for Fremantle hasn't seen Brodie play or can't appreciate the big picture, it's 500k off the books to go towards signing better and younger players, they've also traded into next year where they'll have the list spots to use the picks and there's higher quality KPP's through the draft which is a far bigger need than more midfielders. Honestly a pretty good trade for both sides all things considered

I'm convinced anyone convinced this is a clear win for Fremantle hasn't seen Brodie play or can't appreciate the big picture, it's 500k off the books to go towards signing better and younger players, they've also traded into next year where they'll have the list spots to use the picks and there's higher quality KPP's through the draft which is a far bigger need than more midfielders. Honestly a pretty good trade for both sides all things considered

You have nailed it. Gold Coast setting up the calm before the cyclone next year, bit of "spring" cleaning and then start the "process". Think GC can do it in 4-5 years compared to the normal around 8 years. They are going to start with a superb base of young kids that want to be their, driven by a desire to win over taking $$$ for just turning up. Huge potential threat in years to come.

We both learned the hardway - some clubs will never learn. Welcome GC to the fold, Go Suns

Gold Coast

give up: Brodie, pick 19, pick 61 & pick 69

receive: Future 2nd round pick & future 4th round pick

What the actual fu**?

How could the AFL sign off on such a bad deal for Gold Coast?

Forget about the picks in the 60's, GC don't have list spots. Lets say the F2 is in the 25 range, basically is is Brodies contract +19 for pick 25 next season. Brodie's stupid contract can be used to resign players like Anderson, Rankine, Luco, etc. Paying 600k plus for Brodie who isn't playing is bad business. It's actually a very smart deal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back