Will Afghanistan be banned from international cricket if they refuse to allow a women's team?

Remove this Banner Ad

HomokHarcos

Senior List
May 1, 2015
Canada
AFL Club
Richmond
Australia has already cancelled their test match, supposedly out of protest for the Taliban not wanting women to play cricket. If they refuse to let women play or field a team, will the ICC end up banning them?

TheBillABCTV

Senior List
Oct 4, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Australia has already cancelled their test match, supposedly out of protest for the Taliban not wanting women to play cricket. If they refuse to let women play or field a team, will the ICC end up banning them?
Yes I believe they will be banned.

Sep 30, 2003
Bunvegas
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
WA, Australia
I think they're (rightfully) gone if the ICC has any backbone.

But the line taken by the Government is an interesting one.

Federal Sports Minister Richard Colbeck has told the ABC that Afghan athletes would "remain welcome in Australia, but not under the flag of the Taliban".

Given a fair chunk of the Afghan's first choice side will be in Australia for the BBL anyway, It'd be interesting to see whether they're leaving the door open to them playing under their old flag as a rebel tour or something like that.

I think they're (rightfully) gone if the ICC has any backbone.

But the line taken by the Government is an interesting one.

Federal Sports Minister Richard Colbeck has told the ABC that Afghan athletes would "remain welcome in Australia, but not under the flag of the Taliban".

Given a fair chunk of the Afghan's first choice side will be in Australia for the BBL anyway, It'd be interesting to see whether they're leaving the door open to them playing under their old flag as a rebel tour or something like that.
Collect thinks that the appropriate for religious extremists in this country is Cabinet.

Interesting take by Andy Flower. I'd hope that the men's team doesn't get banned. Yes, all countries should have women's teams and Afghanistan doesn't, but that isn't for the want of trying by the Afghan Cricket Board. I dont see what a ban would achieve other than to satisfy western angst.

Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Difficult to say. The obvious comparison is boycotting South Africa because of apartheid but the problem is that Afghanistan's new government doesn't care about cricket, public opinion, or even international relations that much so it is very unlikely to have any positive effect for the Afghan people.

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
I don't believe they will be banned from international cricket. At worst I think they might be demoted from being a full member back to an associate which really only stops them being allowed to play Test matches (and also cuts some of their funding) which they barely do anyway now because they're not allowed into the WTC and no one wants to play them outside of that.

There are already several teams at associate level of the ICC that don't have women's teams. There are several others who have the façade of having a women's team but they never actually play.

I dont see what a ban would achieve other than to satisfy western angst.
What a dishonest insinuation. Nothing short of female cricketers liberated from government threats of violence/death is going to satisfy "western angst" on this issue.

"It's not going to achieve anything" is a total non sequitur. Ill-tempered nutjobs who just crawled out of their caves aren't entitled to a monopoly on being offended by certain foreign ways of life. Us weepy westerners reserve that right too--are you (and/or Andy Flower) suggesting we should surrender that right, or just that we should pretend to surrender it?

Last edited:

Nuggetz

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 4, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
A ban doesn't do anything but play right into the taliban hand. I hope they're allowed to play as an invitational team under the 'old' afghan flag (the one being used at the WC right now). Atleast it gives some hope/positivity to people back in Afghanistan who have to endure living under taliban rule.

No chance a womens team will play under taliban rule unless there's significant pressure from Pakistan. Taliban organisation/setup is sort of split into 3 big groups and one of them is pretty much under Paki's power/influence. So if they push hard for it then it's remotely possible. It sucks for women in Afghanistan but there's next to no chance they'll be allowed to play, which is pretty disheartening tbh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

gtrxuone

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 20, 2014
W.A.
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The Black Ducks
Yes they will be banned there no doubt about that.Sad as Afghanistan is becoming quiet competitive in white ball cricket.
The world has changed so much in the 20 years . The Taliban was out of power.There economy is already crippled with 2 decades of war and trade sanctions.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Interesting take by Andy Flower. I'd hope that the men's team doesn't get banned. Yes, all countries should have women's teams and Afghanistan doesn't, but that isn't for the want of trying by the Afghan Cricket Board. I dont see what a ban would achieve other than to satisfy western angst.

You don't see what an international institution standing up for women's rights in countries where women often have no voice could achieve? You must be blind then.

You don't see what an international institution standing up for women's rights in countries where women often have no voice could achieve? You must be blind then.
okily dokily - explain how the Taliban are fearful of the ICC and would likely change there ways at the threat of this isolationist regime being, um, isolated? Seriously explain to this blind person how this will turn the Taliban into loving womens cricket?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back