Toby Greene makes contact with umpire - Update: Suspension Increased to 6 weeks on Appeal

What will happen to Toby?

• Gone - 4 weeks or more

Votes: 129 24.3%
  • Gone - 1-3 weeks

Votes: 278 52.5%
  • Fine only

Votes: 99 18.7%
  • Innocent - play on.

Votes: 24 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

500 times over and shoved, I actually can’t remember the Dusty incident and can only find footage and articles about him colliding with that goal umpire so could be wrong, but Neale’s was certainly not a shove.

The tribunal decided that Greene’s action was intentional, disrespectful and intimidating but not forceful hence a three week ban.

Neale’s contact was intentional, but not intimidating, disrespectful or forceful as he was just trying to get the attention of the umpire for a blood rule. It’s still not appropriate to touch and umpire hence he was still sanctioned, but it’s not bad enough to warrant a suspension.

It’s pretty simple if you actually think about the levels involved in coming up with the penalties, I feel like you just want to make it black and white so you can be outraged.
Exactly - all contact with an umpire is wrong, but some contact is more wrong than others.

So after having bit of a rethink, the weeks Greene copped is a bit lenient even if its the finals. Question is should he get 8 weeks which lines him up with Gaffs punishment for breaking Brayshaws jaw?

Surely it should be less than that.

So after having bit of a rethink, the weeks Greene copped is a bit lenient even if its the finals. Question is should he get 8 weeks which lines him up with Gaffs punishment for breaking Brayshaws jaw?

Surely it should be less than that.

You can pin someone's arms and drive them in to the ground and concuss them - and we know that concussions may lead to CTE - and there is zero punishment. But also, the AFL is absolutely serious about protecting the head.

The AFL have an absolutely ludicrous system of penalties and system of investigating and deciding on penalties. And it gets worse over time.

You can pin someone's arms and drive them in to the ground and concuss them - and we know that concussions may lead to CTE - and there is zero punishment. But also, the AFL is absolutely serious about protecting the head.

The AFL have an absolutely ludicrous system of penalties and system of investigating and deciding on penalties. And it gets worse over time.
Hawkins on Joyce a classic example.
And Hawkins could hardly claim to have a clean tribunal record, he's been done half a dozen times for striking the last few years surely.

You're finally getting it
I agree. That there are "acceptable" levels of umpire contact, and not a blanket rule.
That's just what is required to help the respect of junior and community umpires, good old Gill, such a dear topic to him.

I've just looked at Greene's highlight reel and I have to change my opinion of him. He has great ability but is nothing but a putrid sniping thug that does not belong in the AFL or any other league for that matter.
I know of a player who's been suspended 7 times for striking over the last 5 years.
Did it again with a late hit last night, skating close to the edge.
Regardless, still is a champion of the game.

Toby Greene has only 2 weeks remaining before he gets deregistered

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"TOBY Greene will miss the first five matches of the 2022 season after the AFL Appeals Board increased the Greater Western Sydney superstar's suspension to six games."

great result. he's just lucky he didnt do it at lower levels, already been mentioned numerous times that this sort of offence has a minimum sentence requirement far worse than what greene got.
Yet other offenders at top level have received much less than Greene

Lachie Neale is a great example. Having a sad that a free was missed and making intentional contact with the umpire. Did not get 6 weeks

Back