Votes: 6 1.6%

• Total voters

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’ve always thought the next Carlton coach needs 5 years to show something. Clarkson and Lyon would have been given this time, and just because it’s Voss it shouldn’t be any different. There is no chance Voss is in the gun next year, regardless of how his team performs.
What about if Clarkson returns Sayers' call?!?

Apr 29, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
I was overthinking this topic, and I wondered... if you define the first coach sacked in 2021 as the first coach with a contract for the year who gets fired, wouldn't that be Clarkson? Hasn't it already happened then?

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Might sounds harsh but I think both Hinkley and Fagan should be moved on if they don't win the flag in 2022.

That means at least one of them will go.
Probably both.
I think Fagan has to come under some pressure, but you have to remember that he has had 5 years with a young group. The lions were also extremely "unlucky" in their final with the dogs this year, and ran in to their bogey side in 2020. Plenty of coaches break through in year 6 or 7.

Hinkley has had 9 years. He is literally entering uncharted territory in terms of the length of time any coach in AFL history has been given without any success.

JPetro83

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Adel United & Leeds United
Dew is goneski,, Clarko will coach the Suns in 2023.

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
It is being reported that Geelong has offered Chris Scott a two year extension. So he probably won't be sacked next year.

They were never sacking him, not even sure why that was a possibility.

Apr 29, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
You'd be fun at parties.

This thread was started after Clarkson moved on.

I would be fun at parties! Well, if I got invited (but that would depend on me having mates, which is a bit of a problem). At least I think I would be fun at parties. We'll see. One day. I'm 55. No need to rush these things. Someone said my invitation was in the mail. But that was back in Grade Three. Geez the mail is unreliable. They're probably still at the same address so I'll just hop over for a quick bite when the invite arrives.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
It is being reported that Geelong has offered Chris Scott a two year extension. So he probably won't be sacked next year.

They were never sacking him, not even sure why that was a possibility.
They were never sacking him but they could have come to a mutual parting of the ways.

Looks like Hocking blinked and they are going to double down on the "virus" narrative to explain the prelim final loss.

Chris will double down on this ageing squad who have absolutely no chance of a flag and postpone the inevitable rebuild. Kick the can down the road.

I think Chris has become delusional and can't see the forest for the trees.
Nobody has the status or courage to call him out on this.

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
They were never sacking him but they could have come to a mutual parting of the ways.

Looks like Hocking blinked and they are going to double down on the "virus" narrative to explain the prelim final loss.

Chris will double down on this ageing squad who have absolutely no chance of a flag and postpone the inevitable rebuild. Kick the can down the road.

I think Chris has become delusional and can't see the forest for the trees.
Nobody has the status or courage to call him out on this.

I think Chris knows exactly what he is doing. Hocking is many things, but he has no issues being the antagonist and calling people out. I think Geelong are just happy with what has been produced and will continue to be produced.

CrippsVoss17

Debutant
Sep 23, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
Has to be Dew or Cameron.

I guess it depends on:

1. either team having a terrible start
2. a good portion of their 200 members caring enough to demand change

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Has to be Dew or Cameron.

I guess it depends on:

1. either team having a terrible start
2. a good portion of their 200 members caring enough to demand change

Alot of it will depend on who is available as well. No point sacking Cameron for instance if there is no one else guaranteed to do well; GWS are winning finals pretty consistently after all, so it is hard to make the argument that he needs to be replaced.

Regardless what happens, Clarkson is a massive shadow over the entire thing. Buckley as well maybe, with a year off.

Back