News Welcome to the Bulldogs, Tim O'Brien

Jul 23, 2011
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Should put an end to the renewed Naughton-to-defence-as-an-intercepting-tall push.
Honestly not in the make Naughty a defender camp but I have no idea why we don't throw him down there situationally in games. Be a handy swingman. As for TOB, medium term replacement for Wood. Don't like the idea of him holding down a key post but with some freedom to read and intercept I can see him playing his most consistent footy for us down back.

weltschmerz

Brownlow Medallist
May 23, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
1633587827127.png

Our colours suit rangas much better than Hawthorn's

Draft Pick

Cancelled
Jun 17, 2004
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs
Always took an interest in Tim’s career as he was taken with a pick that Hawks got back in the Brian Lake trade.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Good luck Tim.

This feels like a gamble worth taking. We need more guys that can compete in the air.
It’s weird I agree with you that on the eye test we seem to get killed in the aerial contests across the ground but I really don’t know why that’s the case, on paper it should be a strength. Our medium defenders are elite in the air, Keath, Naughty, Bruce, English as key talls across the park where marking is a strength of each. Bont/Dunks are as good or better than any mids going around, small/medium forwards in Weightman/Hannan/Wallis when he’s played are all strong for their position. We seem to have players that are strong aerial presences per position on most lines across the ground yet I feel we lose this battle every week.

Anyway hoping O’Brien can bring a new intercepting threat to our backline as its definitely needed

Zgope1

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
TOB is no Brian Lake.

but one of my lowest ever footy moments was 2013 when Lake won a flag and a norm in his first season with Hawthorn.

I would love for the key back we get from them to be putting a medal around his neck next years on the deus giving their fans that same feeling.

We have the most margin for error of all the contending teams next year I believe

TOB is no Brian Lake.

but one of my lowest ever footy moments was 2013 when Lake won a flag and a norm in his first season with Hawthorn.

I would love for the key back we get from them to be putting a medal around his neck next years on the deus giving their fans that same feeling.

We have the most margin for error of all the contending teams next year I believe

Lake wanted out from near the start of 2011 when he failed to do some of his rehab. He was very disillusioned at that point already. There wasn't a chance in hell he was going to ever stay.

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Jul 23, 2011
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Really high on this addition now. Hawthorn gave him a lot of games, mostly forward with time pinch hitting in the ruck and time spend as KPD. I would disregard almost all of it bar the last 5-6 weeks he spent in a consistent role as a 3rd tall down back - the role he should play consistently for us. Hawthorn have plenty of players in a similar mould and we have a list gap there. It should be the perfect match.

TiAn_

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Good point of difference for our defence. Too often teams could just float high balls inside 50 without risk of us winning it back in the air. Not saying he’s in the same league as these players, but the other top 4 sides each had Lever, Aliir and Stewart able to impact games as sweepers in the air. Something we sorely lacked at times.

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The defence is going to be different next season with Tim replacing Cordy/Gardiner and Kharmis or Crozier if he can get his form back replacing Wood.

BRWB

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Really high on this addition now. Hawthorn gave him a lot of games, mostly forward with time pinch hitting in the ruck and time spend as KPD. I would disregard almost all of it bar the last 5-6 weeks he spent in a consistent role as a 3rd tall down back - the role he should play consistently for us. Hawthorn have plenty of players in a similar mould and we have a list gap there. It should be the perfect match.

Pinch hitting in the ruck eh?:think:

Back