Traded Will Brodie [traded with #19, #61, #69 to Fremantle for F2, F4]

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL gave Gold Coast pick 19 because they're so sh*t that they needed discretionary assistance.

They've traded Brodie, 19, 61, 69 for a future second and a future fourth.

If Freo finish where they finished this year, which is probably the expected range, the picks will be 27 and 63.

In:
27, 63
Out: 19, 61, 69, Brodie

For Gold Coast just to get their own pick back (never mind trading 61 and 69 for 63) Freo would have to finish last in '22.

The AFL gave Gold Coast pick 19 because they're so sh*t that they needed discretionary assistance.

If Freo finish where they finished this year, which is probably the expected range, the picks will be 27 and 63.

In:
27, 63

For Gold Coast just to get their own pick back (never mind trading 61 and 69 for 63) Freo would have to finish last in '22.

Hey hey just because you’ve won a flag now. Don’t get all high and mighty. You guys were in a very dark place for a long time.
You should sympathise a little bit more champ

Hey hey just because you’ve won a flag now. Don’t get all high and mighty. You guys were in a very dark place for a long time.
You should sympathise a little bit more champ
Nothing to do with winning a flag. It’s ridiculous that you’ve been given a pick to make you better and you’ve been allowed to hand it over for a salary dump.

I know you are trying to get likes, but is it really better though?

I don't think so.
They get rid of a 600k for essentially picks they wont use and a player that couldn't break into the team. Pies Lost a massive hand of picks that could of helped them not lose pick 2. They also still had to pay part of Treloar's Salary for 5 years. He also was a best 22 for the pies.

They get rid of a 600k for essentially picks they wont use and a player that couldn't break into the team. Pies Lost a massive hand of picks that could of helped them not lose pick 2. They also still had to pay part of Treloar's Salary for 5 years. He also was a best 22 for the pies.
I wish I could understand that post.

25 games in 5 years and on $600k?

FMD I wish I was drafted by Gold Coast.

Nothing to do with winning a flag. It’s ridiculous that you’ve been given a pick to make you better and you’ve been allowed to hand it over for a salary dump.
What’s more likely to help us succeed in the longer term genius?

Taking a kid with the pick.

OR

giving us the best opportunity at re-signing king, lukosius, rankine etc. next year.

We have a list that is talented enough. We need to keep them together.

as much as it is a ‘losing trade’ by virtue of not getting a return on the draft capital. It is certainly a positive move for the suns when you take a second to look at the big picture.

Im not here defending how we are in this position - there are a number of reasons, some self inflicted, others not.

previous poor drafting and extremely poor trading by Scott Clayton, poor player development in the setting of limited senior player experience and poor reserves competition, questionable senior executive performance (Ashcroft, Haines), unforeseen changes with COVID - when flexibility would have been highly valuable we had signed up a huge number of players to longer term deals to help with retention and consistency, very poor initial set up from the AFL, the Rory Atkins contract (wtf), Rory Thompson getting a 5 year deal and then doing his knee 3 times after etc.. etc..

But I think the type of deal done now, is far more beneficial for our club when looking at the bigger picture than taking another draft pick.

What’s more likely to help us succeed in the longer term genius?

Taking a kid with the pick.

OR

giving us the best opportunity at re-signing king, lukosius, rankine etc. next year.

We have a list that is talented enough. We need to keep them together.

as much as it is a ‘losing trade’ by virtue of not getting a return on the draft capital. It is certainly a positive move for the suns when you take a second to look at the big picture.

Im not here defending how we are in this position - there are a number of reasons, some self inflicted, others not.

previous poor drafting and extremely poor trading by Scott Clayton, poor player development in the setting of limited senior player experience and poor reserves competition, questionable senior executive performance (Ashcroft, Haines), unforeseen changes with COVID - when flexibility would have been highly valuable we had signed up a huge number of players to longer term deals to help with retention and consistency, very poor initial set up from the AFL, the Rory Atkins contract (wtf), Rory Thompson getting a 5 year deal and then doing his knee 3 times after etc.. etc..

But I think the type of deal done now, is far more beneficial for our club when looking at the bigger picture than taking another draft pick.
Pretty much summed up my thoughts perfectly.

25 games in 5 years and on $600k?

FMD I wish I was drafted by Gold Coast.
OK, here is another speculation. According to SEN Edmund, Brodie's next year contract was deferred and back-ended due to Covid TPP reduction, around 400-450K. That would be around average 300-350K the last 2 years (his latest extension).

Is this more acceptable?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In:
27, 63

That's on top of trading #11 for #27 previously.

Very likely to have a better career than Cerra from here on out.

Bigger upside IMO.
I don't think so. His output at AFL level will raise by more than Cerra's will from this point but for Brodie to eclipse Cerra's output for the rest of their careers would require a Barlow breakout sort of year for Brodie and a Barlow breakout year ending for Cerra which I don't want to happen for him.

Wouldn't have thought so.

Considering the massive discrepancy in draft picks exchanged for both players I don't think too many people would be thinking along those lines, but I'm reasonably confident in the call.

Brodie just needs to go somewhere that will give him opportunity and play him in a way that will be conducive to him getting the best out of himself, because that best is better than Cerra's imo.

That's on top of trading #11 for #27 previously.
** trading pick 15 in the 2020 draft for Jeremy Sharp in the 2019 draft.

With our list make up I'd rather have Sharp (and an extra year in the system) as opposed to Connor Stone, Max Holmes, Finlay Macrae, Ryan Angwin who were taken with 15-20 in the 2020 draft.

Not replying to this post in particular but just throwing my 2 bobs worth in, and it's probably not worth too much as I reside in Thailand and aren't privy to most AFL stuff.
BUT........as I see it, as far as development of the younger players is concerned. It's just been a bridge too far....prior to joining the VFL for our reserves, we played in the NEAFL, a sub standard comp (compared to SANFL, WAFL, VFL) where development of any young players to AFL standard was near impossible......
We were then invited to join the VFL, and hallelujah, surely we will now see improvement in the young fellas, and we did at the beginning..
then Covid struck and VFL was cancelled, and our blokes along with most other reserves were playing scratch matches 12 v 12, 15 v 15. etc. The difference being, our blokes were coming from a NEAFL experience, while 14 of the other Clubs were coming from VFL WAFL SANFL experience, and in my opinion, our young blokes are lacking that development, thru no fault of their own, nor of the Coaches who were doing their best.
Hopefully in the future the VFL comes back on a full time basis and we can develop the young 'uns as they should be.....

I think this is one of the main reasons why the gold coast suns have struggled in the 1st decade or so.

Getting established guys like Ablett, Campbell Brown, Rischitelli etc wasnt a bad idea.

People complain about Gold coast getting a lot of 1st and 2nd rounders in the last 10-12 years. Yet people dont complain about the suns being in the bottom 6 for most of their existence.

Suns did choose some average players in that 2010 draft. But as you said, youth development is a concern.

I have always stated, the NEAFL isnt a good league. I wouldnt say The QAFL or the Sydney AFL is a strong state league either, if they were then the QAFL and Sydney AFL would produce as many draftees as the SANFL, WAFL and VFL and TAC cup.

At least in the SANFL, the Crows and Power listed fringe players can gradually develop into solid AFL players by taking on the better SANFL sides. You cant get that in the NEAFL.

Very likely to have a better career than Cerra from here on out.

Bigger upside IMO.
I've been wanting Collingwood to get Brodie for about 2 years now, but understand we can't if the rumoured 600k salary is true.

He has genuine upside, sure he has weaknesses, but these weaknesses are shared by the likes of Cripps/JPK/Lyons (he has improved however, but so can Brodie) etc etc.

Very bullish on Brodie, the fact that he had negative value is very shocking.

This trade makes a real mockery of Gold Coast as a football club.

Given multiple gifts by the AFL for being the basket case they are and in this case they just piss it down the toilet.

The sooner they pack up the club and move them to Tassie, the better for everyone.

And they should never get any more bloody priority picks.

This trade makes a real mockery of Gold Coast as a football club.

Given multiple gifts by the AFL for being the basket case they are and in this case they just piss it down the toilet.

The sooner they pack up the club and move them to Tassie, the better for everyone.

And they should never get any more bloody priority picks.
Imagine the go home factor for players living in tassie, no one wants to live there.

This is Pretty much a shoot from the hip comment, doesn’t make much sense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back