RIP Don Everly, the last of the Everly Brothers

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 25, 2021
Omnipresent
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Las Vegas Bears, Perth Scorchers

Before my time but thanks to my Dad a major influence to me.

Also the Beatles, Beach Boys etc. Those harmonies...

Edit: I meant the Everlys were a major influence to the Beatles and Beach Boys. I wish I'd seen them live.

Last edited:
The Everly Bros brought the close, high Appalachian harmony into rock'n'roll and their influence was immense - including on the Beatles, Beach Boys, Simon & Garfunkel amongst others. Such was their importance, the brothers were in the very first group inaugurated in the Rock & Roll HoF in 1986, alongside Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard and Buddy Holly. They were later also inducted into the Country Music HoF.

For anyone interested, I covered the Everly Brothers history and major hits in the Country Music thread - refer to
posts # 393-399.

So another foundational 1950's pioneer of rock'n'roll has passed - so few now remain. RIP Don.

After decades of being criminally underrated or just plain forgotten, it finally seems (now that they're both dead), the Everly's Brothers place in rock'n'roll history (given their direct and obvious influence on the Beatles harmony sound) is finally being better recognised, as this recent article shows - which also refers to their pioneering and under-appreciated 1960's country-rock albums (they just weren't in fashion at the time) -
Sadly, their constant feuding and bickering once they got off-stage over anything and everything hampered their careers and legacy (see posts # 393-399 page 16 in the Country Music thread for a history piece about them). Anyway, here's another melancholic classic from them -

After decades of being criminally underrated or just plain forgotten, it finally seems (now that they're both dead), the Everly's Brothers place in rock'n'roll history (given their direct and obvious influence on the Beatles harmony sound) is finally being better recognised, as this recent article shows - which also refers to their pioneering and under-appreciated 1960's country-rock albums (they just weren't in fashion at the time) -
Sadly, their constant feuding and bickering once they got off-stage over anything and everything hampered their careers and legacy (see posts # 393-399 page 16 in the Country Music thread for a history piece about them). Anyway, here's another melancholic classic from them -

Yep, they were certainly in harmony on stage. Complete disharmony off stage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back