Carey the stats accumulator

Remove this Banner Ad

When duck got on his bike he beat him
But the ego made him wanna wrestle with him

He would be literally unbeatable in the current game. The main technique used to beat him would be a free kick 9/10 today and he was still smart enough and capable enough of working players over athletically and physically even with others dropping back. He would be even better today IMO.

I still get hard thinking of how good Carey was. For those that saw him live we were truly blessed.
I always thought that watching him live was even better, tv didn’t really acknowledge how good he was off the ball, the strength in contest before the ball arrived was other worldly.
His footy smarts to read the play and get himself into a position to contest or find open space is undervalued.
He is the smartest, most well rounded dominant footballer I have ever seen in my near on odd 50 years on the planet.

I still get hard thinking of how good Carey was. For those that saw him live we were truly blessed.
I always thought that watching him live was even better, tv didn’t really acknowledge how good he was off the ball, the strength in contest before the ball arrived was other worldly.
His footy smarts to read the play and get himself into a position to contest or find open space is undervalued.
He is the smartest, most well rounded dominant footballer I have ever seen in my near on odd 50 years on the planet.
Absolutely - use to say to my young son at the time just watch Carey because you will never see another one like him in your lifetime.

Where he reigns over GAsnr in my books.
Was at the 'G when he kicked 14 in a losing side. Wayne kicking 14 we would have won by 90+. Played 4 grand finals and played well in one. Won a NS. meh.

Carey averaged 23 disposals, 11 marks, 2.3 goals during the 96 finals series and North ended up winning all games convincingly and similar in 99.

Only kicked 3 in the 96 Geelong game but Allison did drive buys of the King and ended up with 7. The 96 Bears prelim was over at half time. Again the King kicked 3 but was involved in most of the 11 goals in our first half.

32 touches in a final in 94. 24 the following week. Kicked 10.8. Pity he was injured and couldn't walk during the week.

He could football with 3 blokes on him and these days would get more frees than Selwood for all the holding, arm chops, push in the backs and blocking his run at the ball.

Last edited:
Rubbing it in a bit here but I feel sorry for the North supporters who didn't have the pleasure of seeing the king play live. All the other players mentioned above were great player's but Carey was the greatest.

I remember my old man would always talk about Blight when I was a kid, who I just missed out of watching play for North then I was lucky enough to witness Carey.

The draft is only around the corner and for the first time we have the first pick and let's hope he turns into the type of player to drag people to the footy like a Blight and Carey because North supporters are definitely due.

Fair to say I'm a bit of Blight fan. Worshipped him as a kid. 15 is my lucky number. Man, on a football field he could do anything.

Carey could do everything.

It was an honour to watch Carey in person - never thought it’d ever end.
Going to Friday night games - I was never worried with the king on the side. Some games we had shockers but 10 minutes of Carey and we were back in it - he was such a game changer. He could do it all.

When duck got on his bike he beat him
But the ego made him wanna wrestle with him
The Eagles were an unbelievable defensive unit throughout the 90's which helped Jakovich but our record against them was great. Carey was beaten on the day a few times but never gave up.

Carey averaged 23 disposals, 11 marks, 2.3 goals during the 96 finals series and North ended up winning all games convincingly and similar in 99.

Only kicked 3 in the 96 Geelong game but Allison did drive buys of the King and ended up with 7. The 96 Bears prelim was over at half time. Again the King kicked 3 but was involved in most of the 11 goals in our first half.

32 touches in a final in 94. 24 the following week. Kicked 10.8. Pity he was injured and couldn't walk during the week.

He could football with 3 blokes on him and these days would get more frees than Selwood for all the holding, arm chops, push in the backs and blocking his run at the ball.
94 Prelim was arguably his greatest ever game IMO. We lost and he missed a couple he should of kicked but wow. He did it all that day. The shepherd on Mensch🤣

(Log in to remove this ad.)

94 Prelim was arguably his greatest ever game IMO. We lost and he missed a couple he should of kicked but wow. He did it all that day. The shepherd on Mensch
Ridiculous player. Was like watching someone from another planet.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

He said in a discussion* about CHF when he became a commentator, that a CHF should play like a Ruck Rover in the forward line.
I did not know what he meant at the time, but after reading this thread, now i do :)

* I think they were asking him about Brown / Riewoldt / Pavlich at the time.

Wow that's awesome. Explains a lot.

I was just thinking further about Carey's disposals and marks per game compared to his CHF rivals. When you mark the ball, you basically earn a disposal because you're guaranteed a kick or handball. So for players like Riewoldt who come closest to Carey in terms of disposals, and who even averaged over 20 disposals at one time, I wanted to know how many disposals he would have won that weren't from marks i.e. winning that disposal in 'open play', compared to Carey. When you take away the disposals from marks to total disposals, Carey's disposals per game from open play is an even wider margin from Riewoldt's. This was comparing prime seasons (Carey 93-00, Riewoldt 04-10).

Here's a table that illustrates this:
PlayerAverage DisposalsAverage MarksAverage Disposals Open PlaySeasons >10 DisposalsPeak Disposals Open Play
Carey18.47.610.8511.8
Riewoldt 16.99.47.509.1

Carey had two out of his seven prime seasons averaging 9.9 open play disposals a game, so he was that close to averaging more than 10 open play disposals per game for all seven seasons. Insane when you compare Riewoldt's 0 seasons above 10 disposals. In fact, even Riewoldt's 2016 season when he averaged 20.8 disposals, he only averaged 10.2 open play disposals per game. Carey just won the ball better, or played a style of football that was more conducive to gathering possessions through non-marking passages of play. Riewoldt would lead up the ground even more than Carey to take marks and get his touches in this way. We all know which style was more effective though.

What was difficult to ascertain from disposals were the disposals that resulted in goals and behinds. I would have to assume that a large proportion of goals and behinds were from marks so would count towards a 'marked disposal' but obviously, some proportion of goals and behinds would come from 'open play' as well. Either way, Carey averaged 5.0 combined goals and behinds in his prime versus 4.3 from Riewoldt.

I actually checked out Franklin's open play disposals after this comparison as even though his overall disposals per game were lower than Carey's and Riewoldt's, his marks per game were also much lower. Franklin's marking is noticeably worse than other great key CHFs yet that didn't stop him from getting his touches anyway. Probably not a huge surprise, but Franklin's average open play disposals were even higher than Carey's - he had three consecutive seasons averaging 12+ from 2010 to 2012. As we all know, Franklin is a freak when the ball hits the ground. Over their careers though, they both average the same at 9.8. Franklin peaked higher but Carey was more consistent. Very interesting stuff.

The numbers just keep building Carey's legend IMO.

Wow that's awesome. Explains a lot.

I was just thinking further about Carey's disposals and marks per game compared to his CHF rivals. When you mark the ball, you basically earn a disposal because you're guaranteed a kick or handball. So for players like Riewoldt who come closest to Carey in terms of disposals, and who even averaged over 20 disposals at one time, I wanted to know how many disposals he would have won that weren't from marks i.e. winning that disposal in 'open play', compared to Carey. When you take away the disposals from marks to total disposals, Carey's disposals per game from open play is an even wider margin from Riewoldt's. This was comparing prime seasons (Carey 93-00, Riewoldt 04-10).

Here's a table that illustrates this:
PlayerAverage DisposalsAverage MarksAverage Disposals Open PlaySeasons >10 DisposalsPeak Disposals Open Play
Carey18.47.610.8511.8
Riewoldt16.99.47.509.1

Carey had two out of his seven prime seasons averaging 9.9 open play disposals a game, so he was that close to averaging more than 10 open play disposals per game for all seven seasons. Insane when you compare Riewoldt's 0 seasons above 10 disposals. In fact, even Riewoldt's 2016 season when he averaged 20.8 disposals, he only averaged 10.2 open play disposals per game. Carey just won the ball better, or played a style of football that was more conducive to gathering possessions through non-marking passages of play. Riewoldt would lead up the ground even more than Carey to take marks and get his touches in this way. We all know which style was more effective though.

What was difficult to ascertain from disposals were the disposals that resulted in goals and behinds. I would have to assume that a large proportion of goals and behinds were from marks so would count towards a 'marked disposal' but obviously, some proportion of goals and behinds would come from 'open play' as well. Either way, Carey averaged 5.0 combined goals and behinds in his prime versus 4.3 from Riewoldt.

I actually checked out Franklin's open play disposals after this comparison as even though his overall disposals per game were lower than Carey's and Riewoldt's, his marks per game were also much lower. Franklin's marking is noticeably worse than other great key CHFs yet that didn't stop him from getting his touches anyway. Probably not a huge surprise, but Franklin's average open play disposals were even higher than Carey's - he had three consecutive seasons averaging 12+ from 2010 to 2012. As we all know, Franklin is a freak when the ball hits the ground. Over their careers though, they both average the same at 9.8. Franklin peaked higher but Carey was more consistent. Very interesting stuff.

The numbers just keep building Carey's legend IMO.
As an academic, I love your commitment to research. As a big footy poster, I love your last line.

The only other player - apart from Carey - that I could imagine kicking a goal no matter where they got it in the forward 60 is Abraham.

Can't believe we had these two playing for three full seasons in the same forward 50.

No better memories in footy.
Winny could do it off one step from 60!
Was amazing on his day

I was in high school for his reign. My uncle would take me and my cousins to the Friday night games and if we played on the weekends we’d catch the train in with a few mates. Knew how good he was but I wasn’t old enough to realise how lucky I was to witness him. Felt like it would last forever. By far the best player I’ve ever seen. There was a brief period where Corey was pretty close to him. They were unstoppable during that period, but Carey sustained it. Dangerous from anywhere, would mark everything.

I’ll never forget when people started booing him, there was some Essesdon nuffy oppo supporter booing him behind us, “I asked my uncle why are they booing him?”
He looked at me and said loud enough so the bloke behind heard “Because he’s a champion, look around only losers boo champions”. Lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back