Opinion Gold Coast should be allowed to pay Ben King outside the Salary Cap

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
I am sorry if this is going to be likely an unpopular opinion but I am one of those seemingly rare traditional state footy club supporters who wants the Suns to flourish and succeed in our league, and I think The AFL should introduce a Franchise Player rule (which I believe Ricky Nixon suggested years ago) where a club can pay its Marquee/Star of the club player/asset outside of The Salary Cap (within ATO reasons of course)

The Suns really cannot afford to lose BK after what they have been through, and I have no problem or issue whatsoever if the AFL can put in place a system where he can earn at least twice as much P/A than any other Eastern/Southern based club chasing him.

BTW this whole Franchise player OTC philosophy shouldn't just apply to the Suns, I would like it to apply to all clubs once over say during a 5-10 year period, to insure some equality in the game, especially for Non Victorian Clubs..

Gold Coast and the game of footy simply cannot afford to let Ben King slip out of the Suns fingers, and I would like to see some innovative measures put in place to ensure he re-signs at The Suns.

At any rate, it's either that or the Suns will get pick 1 as a Priority Pick compo if they lose King to say St Kilda or Essendon (or whatever club wins his services who will pay severe unders for a player of Ben's calibre anmm 0d upside, don't think for a moment the AFL and Gil won't do it either)

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I am not a Gold Coast fan but I am getting sick of Victorian clubs acting like vultures towards Gold Coast players.
Ah yes it's just Victorians doing it. This though is fine:

Power list manager Jason Cripps today warned the club would likely attempt to poach the highly-rated pair should they be Gold Coast-bound after the November 22 draft night.

“If Lukosius and Rankine end up going to Gold Coast… we’re probably pretty happy to try to get them back in a few years’ time,” Cripps told the NAB TradeRadio podcast this morning.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
I am not a Gold Coast fan but I am getting sick of Victorian clubs acting like vultures towards Gold Coast players.

To be fair , it's also SA clubs with regards to Rankine and Lukosisus, but get your point.

Something needs to happen from the AFL commission to protect the Suns from being raided almost every single season.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
To be fair , it's also SA clubs with regards to Rankine and Lukosisus, but get your point.

Something needs to happen from the AFL commission to protect the Suns from being raided almost every single season.

Yep. Imagine where Melbourne would be right now, or Carlton for that matter if in their dark days as they were trying to rebuild every year they had players poached from them. It would be so much more difficult to rebuild.

BTW this whole Franchise player OTC philosophy shouldn't just apply to the Suns, I would like it to apply to all clubs once over say during a 5-10 year period, to insure some equality in the game, especially for Non Victorian Clubs..

Why for non Vic clubs?

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
I want Gold Coast to succeed as well, but it is up to them to create a culture where players wish to remain. It sucks what happens to them and it would be a disaster if King left, but the club doesn't need more concessions to help it.

Also if King left it wouldn't really be for the money.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
I don't agree. They already have priority picks and the academy to assist them. They don't need additional assistance.

GWS have had a lot of players leaving too, but they've managed to capitalise on that with smart trading, drafting and development of players.
Brisbane not long ago were in the same position with so many players leaving the club. They turned it around.

Gold Coast need to build a culture that people want to stay at. I believe they're currently building that with their young group.
Throwing money around isn't going to do anything to change that.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

A very simple bonus should be available to the development States controlled by the AFL with decisions made public with full disclosure (not a strong point of the current AFL adminstration).
As tough as it is for Freo to lose Cerra after 75 games in 4 years, if that were the Suns, Lions or GWS, my suggestion maintains the status quo for the rest of the clubs including the Swans.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
A very simple bonus should be available to the development States controlled by the AFL with decisions made public with full disclosure (not a strong point of the current AFL adminstration).
As tough as it is for Freo to lose Cerra after 75 games in 4 years, if that were the Suns, Lions or GWS, my suggestion maintains the status quo for the rest of the clubs including the Swans.

Losing players at the Swans is annoying but we haven't had the problem the expansion clubs have had. Of course that could change if we ever spent a few years down the bottom of the ladder.

Nov 2, 2014
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
#TeamTurboChooks
Maybe they should should just fold for being a plastic corporate franchise that nobody wants to play for.

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
The idea of academies is to help with player retention but it is a slow process. Gold Coast only have a few academy players on their list.

And as the other states don't have that advantage or access to their states juniors then naturally they will look to get players back from a club like GC who are from their home states.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Maybe they should should just fold for being a plastic corporate franchise that nobody wants to play for.

To ignore the benefits of the heartland States in terms of players coming out of contract suggests you are not fair dinkum.

As for the plastic franchises I point to the Eagles who are in the top clubs by any measure including the noise made by their fans & the $millions churned back into local footy.
Hang in there with your 1900s model that you so love.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
And as the other states don't have that advantage or access to their states juniors then naturally they will look to get players back from a club like GC who are from their home states.

No but the other states have the advantage of players wanting to go home. St Kilda are banking on that with their targetting of Ben King. Who can Gold Coast target like that, pretty much no one.

Bald

Premium Gold
Apr 5, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Gold Coast will have infinitely more money to pay King than any other club will when the time comes. If he leaves, it won't be because of money.

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
No but the other states have the advantage of players wanting to go home. St Kilda are banking on that with their targetting of Ben King. Who can Gold Coast target like that, pretty much no one.

That's the small limited reward for giving up recruiting zones and access to junior players.

GC benefits far more from Victoria producing players than players wanting to go home.

Back