Coronavirus/COVID-19

Remove this Banner Ad

Second dose rates have gone through the roof in Vic. If yesterday's rates are consistent going forward (factoring in lower doses on weekends) we will hit 70% in 15 days. 80% for the weekend before Melbourne Cup too.

I read they are sending out mobile vax crews to indigenous communities. One wonders why this hasn't been done earlier.
Seriously if you were in those communities would you want to be babied by the government? I know aboriginal people and they resent the racism of low expectations, by well intentioned, but ultimately harmful interference.

Second dose rates have gone through the roof in Vic. If yesterday's rates are consistent going forward (factoring in lower doses on weekends) we will hit 70% in 15 days. 80% for the weekend before Melbourne Cup too.
I know things look grim in Victoria right now but consider this:

Although it's only a small sample the ACT has had exactly 100 admissions to hospital from over 1231 reported cases in this Delta outbreak (hospitalisation rate of about 8%) and 19 of those 100 progressed to ICU. Nine have died, but at least two of those were receiving end-of-life palliative care before acquiring Covid19.

Of those 100 admissions only 5 were fully vaccinated. None of those who progressed to ICU were fully vaccinated.

That is, although the fully vaccinated represent nearly 70%* of the population (*as an average over the duration of the outbreak let's assume it's only about 50%) they represent only 5% of hospital admissions and 0% of ICU admissions and deaths.

This is really encouraging, although some allowance does have to be made for the fact that - as we have seen everywhere - the case numbers are highest among the 18-40 year olds who just happen to have been last to get started in the vaccination program and still have the lowest vaccination rates across all age groups.

ACT's first dose vaccination levels* are now in excess of 96% and those fully vaccinated are now just over 67%. *Note that the ACT calculates vaccination rates for those 12 years and over, because 12yos are now eligible for vaccination, whereas most other jurisdictions are still reporting on 16 years and over.

So while Victorian case numbers may not come down quickly (although the recent NSW experience provides a basis for cautious optimism) the impact of being exposed to Covid is going to be greatly reduced for the vast majority of those who are full vaccinated. If vaccination rates remain strong as you suggest, they should allow the re-opening plans to continue in spite of the current case numbers.

Seriously if you were in those communities would you want to be babied by the government? I know aboriginal people and they resent the racism of low expectations, by well intentioned, but ultimately harmful interference.
There’s been a lot of harmful interference from antivax nut jobs going around western NSW and northern WA telling the indigenous people there not to take the “white man’s poison”. Governments are damned if they do and damned if they don’t.

There’s been a lot of harmful interference from antivax nut jobs going around western NSW and northern WA telling the indigenous people there not to take the “white man’s poison”. Governments are damned if they do and damned if they don’t.
If that’s the case it needs counteracted. But hopefully in a non patronising way and it is through education not coercion. But we also need to counteract the thought that many have that the vax stops the spread. It reduces your personal severity, but doesn’t really do much for the spread of the illness. A lot of people are confusing the two things to everyone’s detriment. I makes extremists at each side of the debate. I even think our state government doesn’t understand this. When the truth is the only way out of this or any problem.

If that’s the case it needs counteracted. But hopefully in a non patronising way and it is through education not coercion. But we also need to counteract the thought that many have that the vax stops the spread. It reduces your personal severity, but doesn’t really do much for the spread of the illness. A lot of people are confusing the two things to everyone’s detriment. I makes extremists at each side of the debate. I even think our state government doesn’t understand this. When the truth is the only way out of this or any problem.
Do you think the health workers servicing these areas aren’t experienced and don’t know this or aren’t sensitive to the cultures they are dealing with? Indigenous folk aren’t stupid, they need to be informed of the facts in a straightforward manner, but much of this misinformation comes from religious groups who are trusted (no specific religion but I suspect fringe groups), so the battle is uphill. Remote communities are susceptible to this kind of propaganda. Vax hesitancy has been high but it’s taken an outbreak in the West Dubbo community to see a better response.

Do you think the health workers servicing these areas aren’t experienced and don’t know this or aren’t sensitive to the cultures they are dealing with? Indigenous folk aren’t stupid, they need to be informed of the facts in a straightforward manner, but much of this misinformation comes from religious groups who are trusted (no specific religion but I suspect fringe groups), so the battle is uphill. Remote communities are susceptible to this kind of propaganda. Vax hesitancy has been high but it’s taken an outbreak in the West Dubbo community to see a better response.
The indigenous people are very spiritual/religious generally. To just blame religious groups is strange. Great Aboriginal leaders like Noel Pearson and Stan Grant among many, are deeply religious people. They remain Christian after all their learnings and travels and life experiences, even though the church itself is far from perfect. The idea that we are ALL created in the image of God has a profound effect on any marginalised people, especially spiritual people. And the theology just gets deeper from there. The reactionary types that have a shallow view of religion from both within and outside the church will never get this and can cause pain. But to blame religion is to not see. Some people have genuine concerns with the vax, I personally do not, but my concern is the mandate, this idea is opening us up to all sorts of future problems. Why wouldn’t or couldn’t these people come to these or similar conclusions? We have to respect their reasons.

The indigenous people are very spiritual/religious generally. To just blame religious groups is strange. Great Aboriginal leaders like Noel Pearson and Stan Grant among many, are deeply religious people. They remain Christian after all their learnings and travels and life experiences, even though the church itself is far from perfect. The idea that we are ALL created in the image of God has a profound effect on any marginalised people, especially spiritual people. And the theology just gets deeper from there. The reactionary types that have a shallow view of religion from both within and outside the church will never get this and can cause pain. But to blame religion is to not see. Some people have genuine concerns with the vax, I personally do not, but my concern is the mandate, this idea is opening us up to all sorts of future problems. Why wouldn’t or couldn’t these people come to these or similar conclusions? We have to respect their reasons.
It isn't me blaming them. Mark McGowan said the same in one of his pressers when asked about indigenous communities, that religious groups were spreading antivax messages. The mayor of Dubbo said similar when it broke out there. And a woman from Moree got very heated and emotional on the subject, even though she was being interviewed about the Qld-NSW border non-bubble.

Thought I would post this Tim English trade related post here, because of the Covid connection.

On the trade thread, it was suggested that the Dockers will come hard at English if they get rid of Lobb.

I can understand English asking to be traded with his girlfriend over there. It's a smart move.

In many ways Covid will be worse next year, and WA shutting its borders.

I also expect both the AFL and NRL comps to be stuffed too.

Thought I would post this Tim English trade related post here, because of the Covid connection.

On the trade thread, it was suggested that the Dockers will come hard at English if they get rid of Lobb.

I can understand English asking to be traded with his girlfriend over there. It's a smart move.

Eagles & Dockers will both have to live outside of WA, so there is little point for English to be moving to Perth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can understand where the US Republicans are coming from (even if I disagree) but which cohort are the Brunswick/Collingwood/Mullumbimby resisters? What is their belief system that causes them to reject vaccinations?

Agree. I posted this on other threads.

WA are going to get hit hard when borders open and they will shut down hard. I travelled there with work in May when they had a minor outbreak and they were stricter than Victoria at its worst. Expect WA teams to go bubble style.

On another point, not sure what the afl will do when it's possible, with the virus running free next year, that on any given weekend a player from a team will be positive??

I'd almost suggest a chicken pox style party for the team this summer for those who remember......?

On another point, not sure what the afl will do when it's possible, with the virus running free next year, that on any given weekend a player from a team will be positive??

Absolutely. Both the AFL and NRL have had charmed runs over the past two seasons.

So say Round 3 2022 the Dogs are playing Freo in Perth.

Thursday before, 4 Dogs test positive. What happens?

And what about say we played the Pies in Round 2 the previous week - what happens with them?

Agree. I posted this on other threads.

WA are going to get hit hard when borders open and they will shut down hard. I travelled there with work in May when they had a minor outbreak and they were stricter than Victoria at its worst. Expect WA teams to go bubble style.

I'd almost suggest a chicken pox style party for the team this summer for those who remember......?
Can you get covid multiple times, even if you’re vaccinated? I fear next year could be the worst so far, for the footy codes. There’s only so much isolation and “bubbling” clubs can take. It can’t become the norm.

Just heard a report from NT that said very low vaccine uptake in Central Australian indigenous communities is because of disinformation being spread by social media ☹️. Supply hasn’t been an issue since July. On the other hand the response in the Groote Eylandt area has been very good indeed but could be because of some cash incentives. The NT government don’t want to have to resort to this everywhere, of course.

The likes of Facebook and Instagram really should be held accountable for their contribution to this mess.
I think the backlash the big tech companies got for censoring and eventually banning Trump for spreading misinformation is going to prevent any big censorship movements.

Those dirty dog governments , fancy trying to protect people’s health and possibly their lives !
Bloody Pricks !

The likes of Facebook and Instagram really should be held accountable for their contribution to this mess.
This mess?

They are the harbingers of the decline and end of all civilisation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back