Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Is your new gym more accommodating for powerlifters?

Nice stuff by the way with those numbers, 200 at 6 surely means you have 250 in ya.

I benched 132.5 and 135kg singles on Wednesday after working my way up with quadruples at 110 and 120 and doubles at 125 and 127.5, heaviest I've gone in my garage set up (though having a new westside spacing rack helps bigtime). Was absolutely rapt with pumping out 4 at 120, 120 has historically been double or triple territory for me, though for some reason, my traps and rhomboids has gone full DOMS too with the pecs (did engage more of a tighter powerlifting type lift here driving through the legs and retracting the scapula, just without the huge lower back arch)
Yeah the new gym is a lot more accomodating, more of a strongman style gym but has the equipment I need.

I’ve pulled a jackhammer legs 240 in the past. This comp we are prepping for a 200/130/260. Sleeved squat.

If I get anywhere near 130 bench I’ll be cheering.

Yeah the new gym is a lot more accomodating, more of a strongman style gym but has the equipment I need.

I’ve pulled a jackhammer legs 240 in the past. This comp we are prepping for a 200/130/260. Sleeved squat.

If I get anywhere near 130 bench I’ll be cheering.
Are you doing any eccentric/negative work? Found that was the most beneficial on improving my bench over the years, but yeah nice stuff finding a better gym for your needs

Are you doing any eccentric/negative work? Found that was the most beneficial on improving my bench over the years, but yeah nice stuff finding a better gym for your needs
Got 3 sets of normal bench and 4 sets of tempo bench work each week currently. I say my bench hasn’t improved over the years but it has. I struggled for 100 for a single 2 years ago and about 6 months ago I hit 110 for a triple. It just hasn’t moved in the right direction quickly. Comparatively I put 60kg on my deadlift in 2 years.

Got 3 sets of normal bench and 4 sets of tempo bench work each week currently. I say my bench hasn’t improved over the years but it has. I struggled for 100 for a single 2 years ago and about 6 months ago I hit 110 for a triple. It just hasn’t moved in the right direction quickly. Comparatively I put 60kg on my deadlift in 2 years.
How tall are you just wondering too? Body shapes/types play a part also. Your squat and deadlift numbers are very solid at least so you've got a good base there to work around at least. There's an American powerlifter who has a small YouTube channel that I talk to on his video comments, he competition deadlifts just under 600lbs and squats around 500lbs, but benches just over 150kg (340-350lbs), so you're tracking pretty close to his trajectory, he's in his late 30s, lifted for years, competitively on and off

I really never trained the squat that hard also, easily my least favourite exercise of the big 3, preferred doing power cleans actually, dunno what I'd be capable of if I got close to full fitness again, seeing my best 1RMs was 160-140-210

How tall are you just wondering too? Body shapes/types play a part also. Your squat and deadlift numbers are very solid at least so you've got a good base there to work around at least. There's an American powerlifter who has a small YouTube channel that I talk to on his video comments, he competition deadlifts just under 600lbs and squats around 500lbs, but benches just over 150kg (340-350lbs), so you're tracking pretty close to his trajectory, he's in his late 30s, lifted for years, competitively on and off

I really never trained the squat that hard also, easily my least favourite exercise of the big 3, preferred doing power cleans actually, dunno what I'd be capable of if I got close to full fitness again, seeing my best 1RMs was 160-140-210
I’m 6 foot roughly (184cm). Who’s the YouTuber?

I haven’t even opened my squat right up, I squatted 170kg very easily at my last comp and got pinged for depth, my left hip has been an issue since I started. I had my first physio session yesterday and we found that the ball of my left leg is catching on my hip bone from what we understand so now we are trying to fix that.

I’m 6 foot roughly (184cm). Who’s the YouTuber?

I haven’t even opened my squat right up, I squatted 170kg very easily at my last comp and got pinged for depth, my left hip has been an issue since I started. I had my first physio session yesterday and we found that the ball of my left leg is catching on my hip bone from what we understand so now we are trying to fix that.
Calls himself BES I think, he's only got a couple of hundred subscribers, but a nice guy, happy to talk about equipment and stuff too, which is one of the reasons how I found his channel, definitely a garage gym warrior

Yeah bugger about the left hip and getting done for depth then, so is it really bothering ya, or just a deficiency you don't notice? I've probably got posture issues myself, but keep putting off going to a podiatrist

Calls himself BES I think, he's only got a couple of hundred subscribers, but a nice guy, happy to talk about equipment and stuff too, which is one of the reasons how I found his channel, definitely a garage gym warrior

Yeah bugger about the left hip and getting done for depth then, so is it really bothering ya, or just a deficiency you don't notice? I've probably got posture issues myself, but keep putting off going to a podiatrist
I’ll have a gander.

I only really notice it when I squat and then the next day it’s a bit tender. I get fortnightly massage/dry needling though and that definitely helps pull it back into line. Needling the TFL helps HEAPS! Also found a new stretch - band around the leg/groin crotch tied to a pole at the same height, and you pull on the band and go into a split squat stance and lean away from the band, really opens up the hip joint I’ve found!

I’ll have a gander.

I only really notice it when I squat and then the next day it’s a bit tender. I get fortnightly massage/dry needling though and that definitely helps pull it back into line. Needling the TFL helps HEAPS! Also found a new stretch - band around the leg/groin crotch tied to a pole at the same height, and you pull on the band and go into a split squat stance and lean away from the band, really opens up the hip joint I’ve found!
Nice, I'll try it out once I can weigh down my rack properly with weight horns and a lat pulldown attachment (got my Ironmasters on them for now)

For my lower back strengthening from my physio I do this mobility squat, but it's like a bodyweight sumo squat/good morning hybrid where you drop down for depth then the lower you go you want to get your back horizontal. I started holding onto a pole or my rack, now I mix it up between the pole and weight plates, helps open up the hips too, apparently breaks down fascia around the hips/lower back

Nice, I'll try it out once I can weigh down my rack properly with weight horns and a lat pulldown attachment (got my Ironmasters on them for now)

For my lower back strengthening from my physio I do this mobility squat, but it's like a bodyweight sumo squat/good morning hybrid where you drop down for depth then the lower you go you want to get your back horizontal. I started holding onto a pole or my rack, now I mix it up between the pole and weight plates, helps open up the hips too, apparently breaks down fascia around the hips/lower back
Ew good mornings! Haha.
Will have to give it a crack!

I didn’t realise how expensive physios are. $190 for an hour, got $33 back on private health.

Ew good mornings! Haha.
Will have to give it a crack!

I didn’t realise how expensive physios are. $190 for an hour, got $33 back on private health.
Wowee, that's a fair hike

Mine costs $97 in the inner suburbs, get 40 minutes there

Normally the outer suburban ones I've seen over the years are around $60-75 for anywhere between 30-45 minutes, however normally paying up you get better services I've noticed

Wowee, that's a fair hike

Mine costs $97 in the inner suburbs, get 40 minutes there

Normally the outer suburban ones I've seen over the years are around $60-75 for anywhere between 30-45 minutes, however normally paying up you get better services I've noticed
Yeah I couldn’t believe it. It was the initial consult, will see if it becomes less next time. 6 weeks until next appointment though so at least they are just trying to get me back ASAP.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are gyms open in Melbourne and Sydney?

Really want them for you campaigners to get back in there ASAP.

First few days when they reopen will be fu*king crazy, take that to the bank. It will be like January of every year.
Not in Melbourne mate, fair chance Sydney got preferential vax supply so are about 2-3 weeks ahead of us, they are at 74% double dosed currently, we won't open up until 80% double dosed, we will tick over 60% tomorrow I think

Apparently first week of November we will get there

Not in Melbourne mate, fair chance Sydney got preferential vax supply so are about 2-3 weeks ahead of us, they are at 74% double dosed currently, we won't open up until 80% double dosed, we will tick over 60% tomorrow I think

Apparently first week of November we will get there
FFS

Im so sorry thats just bullshit.

Im a little stunned whats happening in Melbourne and Sydney.

I genuinely feel for those guys that want to hit the gym but cant.

Its maybe not too bad for those that know they will go back, but Im talking about those that were in the early beginnings to mid stage of going to the gym then the virus hits.

Many wont return and its the kind of decision that will effect them for the rest of their lives.

Im not saying everyone should hit the gym, but I am saying EVERYONE must do some form of exercise. Be it walking, running, club sports, etc etc etc.

There is a very inspiring youtube clip by Joe Rogan I will post on here another time. In a nutshell it says your body is your vehicle for life and you need to treat it properly, exercise, sleep, diet etc etc etc.

You don't need to go overboard with anything just be reasonably consistent.
Diet, Sleep, Exercise.

Diet - just ensure you are eating the majority of your meals healthy. Its ok to occasionally indulge.

Sleep - The only one where I would ensure you get quality 7-8hrs. Non - Negotiable.

Exercise - 3-4x per week, for 30mins. Thats it. F**k me dead. You can do two of those sessions on the weekend if work/family is in the way.

I exercise nearly every day (swimming or running and some basic weights) and just enjoy it now, almost have to talk myself into having a day off..

Meals are usually good but eat a lot of extra garbage in between, even though I'm a lucky person that can mostly get away with it should try and cut back.

Was gunna train at 730 and I'm regularly a lazy campaigner on Mondays who suffers from Mondayitis, so training back first day of the week is a perfect way of easing my way into the week before my bread and butter harder chest and legs sessions later in the week as they are the only days that really matter at the moment. So yeah, totally forgot celebrity masterchef was on until it started (walked past the TV)

So from 745-830 or whatever, every ad break I'd do my warm up squats, set up my barbells for prone rows and barbell rows and the heavy band on the chinup bar for facepulls and standing pullovers, did a couple of quick sets of prone rows after 8 and waited for the show to finish.

Eventually blitzed it out for 20-25 minutes, just did a merry-go-round of prone row into standing pullover into bent over row into facepulls for about 15 minutes then did 2 cluster sets of 80lb db rows into serratus pushups to finish off.

If it were chest day, there'd be no coming back from this one, I'd consider it a write off, but at least for back, I've found a way of getting into the zone through hypertrophy short rest interval type of sessions.

Was gunna train at 730 and I'm regularly a lazy campaigner on Mondays who suffers from Mondayitis,

Im a lazy f**k most days. Mind you generally speaking I train 6/7 days per week.

t take pre-workouts just to get motivated to get ready and convince myself that all I need is 30mins. :drunk: Ok, lets be realistic, its only some days I feel like this and its usually after I complete a PUSH/PULL/LEGS cycle. I set this as my absolute minimum weekly effort, 1 cycle. The 2nd cycle can be a bit hard, so I do tend to cut myself some slack and maybe ease off here and there. Sometimes the 2nd cycle is enjoyable, sometimes hard. I try and make it fun and enjoy it as they hard work was accomplished when I did one cycle.

Naturally when I am there and completed my warm up, its game over for my laziness/tiredness I hit my full stride and do great workouts.

Mind you this is separate from feeling genuinely like crap be it physically or mentally or even CNS fatigue. Then I will rest no matter what, day off, no questions asked.

If I dont sleep well for two nights in a row, I may take the gym off. Its a lot of physical and mental stress for the body to handle on top of poor sleep.

Im a lazy f**k most days. Mind you generally speaking I train 6/7 days per week.

t take pre-workouts just to get motivated to get ready and convince myself that all I need is 30mins. :drunk: Ok, lets be realistic, its only some days I feel like this and its usually after I complete a PUSH/PULL/LEGS cycle. I set this as my absolute minimum weekly effort, 1 cycle. The 2nd cycle can be a bit hard, so I do tend to cut myself some slack and maybe ease off here and there. Sometimes the 2nd cycle is enjoyable, sometimes hard. I try and make it fun and enjoy it as they hard work was accomplished when I did one cycle.

Naturally when I am there and completed my warm up, its game over for my laziness/tiredness I hit my full stride and do great workouts.

Mind you this is separate from feeling genuinely like crap be it physically or mentally or even CNS fatigue. Then I will rest no matter what, day off, no questions asked.

If I dont sleep well for two nights in a row, I may take the gym off. Its a lot of physical and mental stress for the body to handle on top of poor sleep.
Monday trainings when I have a Sunday/weekend off are generally the worst, though I've always been that way. Used to s**t me to tears when I was 17-18 and cbf on a Monday cos school/work etc got to me and all I wanted to do was snooze it off (eventually started doing that and trained late after peak hour once I got my Ps/car which helped, but I was 19 when I got those), but then I had cricket/footy training on the Tuesday so Monday gym was always a non-negotiable, twas probably one of the reasons it took me a good 4 years to bench 100kgs consistently due to training chest most Mondays for ages for inconsistent results (started 2004, hit that weight in 2008). It was 100% a mental issue though, so yeah, training back where I can ease into it and go hard towards the end of my session if needed I feel is the best way to start the cycle on a Monday.

I seem to get the most out of Monday sessions if it's in the middle of my workout week, say if I have a Thursday or a Friday off (Friday or Saturday being day 1). Dunno why, but Friday's and Saturday's just seem to be among my favourite training days which I'm normally up for, particularly Saturday's.

I try and stay away from stimulants later in the day, though I will lean to them earlier in the day if I have a pretty empty stomach or if I definitely need a boost if I feel a bit flat or if I've had a few average workouts where I know I could've gone harder. A tablespoon of coffee or a can of RB/V is the most I'll have, my pre workout days were 10 years ago, did enjoy jack3d, but I reckon it was just a gym brah phase I was going through.

Struggled sleeping last few days (DOMS can make me toss and turn some nights and I had huge DOMS on Thursday/Friday after my big bench day on Wednesday), so yeah winding down can be tough, no doubt caffeine may have an effect on that some days though.

Did a weekend of landscaping and still did a workout Saturday.

Absolutely ******* cooked now, i have no idea how tradies do a full day and then gym.
Going in to Brunswick Dohertys at 11-12 at night after a 11-14 hour stint in the kitchen that was a minimum lunch and dinner, if not brekky, lunch and dinner I generally was pretty hyped for, though I was 19-22 at the time.

But if I'd go to gym late arvo/early evening after just a standard day shift, it was pretty hit or miss how I'd feel. Just weird how it was like that, these days I hate training after lunch like in that 130-3pm window if I've got the time to get it in then, gotta be well after 3pm. Could be an insulin spike/fall kinda thing, but I've had a heap of quality late night sessions after eating tea where I've had no comedowns.

Going in to Brunswick Dohertys at 11-12 at night after a 11-14 hour stint in the kitchen that was a minimum lunch and dinner, if not brekky, lunch and dinner I generally was pretty hyped for, though I was 19-22 at the time.

But if I'd go to gym late arvo/early evening after just a standard day shift, it was pretty hit or miss how I'd feel. Just weird how it was like that, these days I hate training after lunch like in that 130-3pm window if I've got the time to get it in then, gotta be well after 3pm. Could be an insulin spike/fall kinda thing, but I've had a heap of quality late night sessions after eating tea where I've had no comedowns.
Oh i can train on an empty stomach and even some days after doing some physical stuff but a full day landscaping on a shovel and barrow... No idea how the body holds up. Maybe when i was 18

Remove this Banner Ad

Back