Mega Thread The Former Player Thread: Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Delighted for the young fellow.

Injury and a family death really affected his chances with us. FWIW I rated his efforts in the Ressies and thought they were well ahead of Melican's.

I hope for his sake he gets another chance.

Interview with Shaun Burgoyne about his new book 'Silk' and discussion regarding Adam Goodes.

Goodes – and his principled stand against racism – features heavily in Burgoyne’s odyssey of Indigenous awareness and advocacy.

Burgoyne writes about Hawthorn losing a thriller to the Sydney Swans in May 2015. A grand final replay, Sydney upturned the 2014 result.
But Burgoyne doesn’t recount the scores that day. Instead, he still burns with a sense of shame for each time Goodes got the ball, when many Hawthorn fans reflexively booed the Sydney great.

‘We let Goodes down … he’s a very courageous man’

Burgoyne has spoken to other Indigenous players throughout the league from that period. They shared his extreme discomfort. Burgoyne has a simple explanation for the booing – racism.

“We let him down,” he says of a good mate. “He’s a very courageous man. He took a stand and we should all applaud people like that and stand beside them, not behind them. I think as an industry we dropped the ball in supporting Adam straight away and I was part of that.”

There were a hell of a lot of people who let down Adam far more than Shaun Burgoyne.
It's a shame that so often it has to be indigenous players standing up for their own.

The AFL, AFLPA, clubs and the media bear responsibility for what Goodes suffered, as well as the individuals in the stands.

He was the catalyst for some change but I can't help but feel too often there remains the attitude of former Collingwood President, Alan McAlister;

As long as they conduct themselves like white people, well, off the field, everyone will admire and respect … As long as they conduct themselves like human beings, they will be all right. That's the key.”

Said in response to Nicky Winmar's iconic jumper lift in 1993.

The more things change..............

Interview with Shaun Burgoyne about his new book 'Silk' and discussion regarding Adam Goodes.

There were a hell of a lot of people who let down Adam far more than Shaun Burgoyne.
It's a shame that so often it has to be indigenous players standing up for their own.

The AFL, AFLPA, clubs and the media bear responsibility for what Goodes suffered, as well as the individuals in the stands.

He was the catalyst for some change but I can't help but feel too often there remains the attitude of former Collingwood President, Alan McAlister;

Strange from him , he was not happy with Adam bringing it all up . I think his attitude might have changed after that.

Great post.

Saddened by this.
You’d hope Burgoyne takes the lesson learned to stand a little taller post footy.

Edit: So happy Goodesy landed at the Swans

So it seems The Saturday Paper's coverage of BJ's memoir is to be a three part series.

Today was the second part. Really excellent writing by Martin McKenzie-Murray.

Great that Jack's book is getting such coverage in a national paper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So it seems The Saturday Paper's coverage of BJ's memoir is to be a three part series.

Today was the second part. Really excellent writing by Martin McKenzie-Murray.

Great that Jack's book is getting such coverage in a national paper.
Sick of hearing about him to be honest. Maybe he can still love Aussie Rules which is different to the AFL .

Sick of hearing about him to be honest. Maybe he can still love Aussie Rules which is different to the AFL .
I think if you bothered to read his excellent book you’d see he’s quite aware of the distinction.

He says very little about the AFL. His book is about the life of a professional footballer.

There’s a whole level of nuance and insight in the book and these articles that you clearly aren’t interested in.

I think if you bothered to read his excellent book you’d see he’s quite aware of the distinction.

He says very little about the AFL. His book is about the life of a professional footballer.

There’s a whole level of nuance and insight in the book and these articles that you clearly aren’t interested in.
His life as a professional footballer was AFL . The next book i read will be Paul Kennedy's

His life as a professional footballer was AFL . The next book i read will be Paul Kennedy's
Yes but his examination of the almost unbearable (and often almost unbearably contradictory) pressures that an up-and-coming player has to endure, are a consequence of being a professional footballer, nothing specific to AFL policy.

I daresay NRL, A-League and Super Rugby players are in exactly the same boat. It's just that until now, no-one has articulated it and examined it as eloquently as Brandon has. A young mate of mine is the son of a former NRL player and he's loving it.

Mitch Morton (Mr September) featured in Celia Pacquola's SBS documentary "The Truth about Anxiety" - it's worth a watch.

Not sure if it has been mentioned or not, but Tadgh Kennelly is now working as the head of PE/Sports for a high school in North Sydney - which I know because I happen to coach at the same school. No actual interaction with Tadgh as of yet, but he accepted my add on LinkedIn (lol) and happened to be at the same cafe for lunch one afternoon prior to working at the school. So we're basically best friends.

Update to this story. Kennelly has moved to a new school in the Eastern Suburbs. Absolutely gutted. Haven't felt this betrayed since Jordan Dawson moved to Adelaide 12 hours ago.

Update to this story. Kennelly has moved to a new school in the Eastern Suburbs. Absolutely gutted. Haven't felt this betrayed since Jordan Dawson moved to Adelaide 12 hours ago.

Have you considered that you were the cause?

Third and final article on Brandon Jack's book in this week's The Saturday Paper.

Things take a surprising turn. The writer, Martin McKenzie-Murray, really lays into Jack for not going into detail about his estrangement from his parents.

Although I would be as interested as anyone in what lies behind the rift, I didn't take it as negatively as McKenzie-Murray, who seems to almost object to it, virtually saying if you're going to write a memoir, you're practically obliged to rip scabs off wounds.

Not sure I agree.

Bottom line, I really enjoyed "28" regardless. Never read another sporting memoir like it.

Third and final article on Brandon Jack's book in this week's The Saturday Paper.

Things take a surprising turn. The writer, Martin McKenzie-Murray, really lays into Jack for not going into detail about his estrangement from his parents.

Although I would be as interested as anyone in what lies behind the rift, I didn't take it as negatively as McKenzie-Murray, who seems to almost object to it, virtually saying if you're going to write a memoir, you're practically obliged to rip scabs off wounds.

Not sure I agree.

Bottom line, I really enjoyed "28" regardless. Never read another sporting memoir like it.

I think people who followed it at the time have a reasonable, if not detailed, idea of how the rift eventuated.
Parents objected to Kieran's choice in GF and not paying for stuff. They went public. Kieran separated himself. As someone who separated from his mother I totally get this.
Brothers were pushed (by parents?) into taking sides.
Brandon stuck with Kieran. The other brother stuck with M&D. All rather sad.
Who needs more details than that?

Who needs more details than that?
I guess people who didn't follow it at the time, more recent fans, book fans who don't follow footy. (The latter I think being the really interesting demographic in this case because the book is showing the potential to break out of the sporting books niche. Lots of chat on bookclub sites along the lines of "I don't follow sport, so I wouldn't normally read a sporting memoir but I really enjoyed this book" etc.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back