Club Focus North Melbourne 2021 - Greenwood, Coleman-Jones, Horne-Francis, Goater, Curtis, Bergman, Archer

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

Yer that was my first thought but the more I think about it iv swung the other way tbh .... 4 this yr will get you a gun , then Nth a pick inside three ( or there about ) PLUS TWO MORE 1sts next yr
Thats a series fast track rebuild .

Perhaps, it is a matter of opinion. But the Crows are pretty good at identifying talent, and if they are willing to pay that much for a player they have seen a lot of at junior level, it kinda signals something.....it would also mean not only are they going to pay that much but also mostly giving up their plans to get Lukousis or Rankine next year, for one player.

Troll?

Max and Ben King look like future stars of the game but Walsh is tracking as a future brownlow medalist.
Pick 1 wins this one IMO.
King brothers easily.
Nothing against Walsh but you've got to consider the scarcity of elite 200cm players compared to the number of elite midfielders and how easy or hard it is to acquire each.

Can't believe North would reject that.
Like the stock market, sometimes you can diversify and reduce risk.

JHF does multiple ACLs, gets homesick, has mental health challenges or just doesn't come on as predicted vs spreading that risk across 3 potential stars.

Not to mention, 2-3 very good players are often more important than 1 star unless they are basically now needing JHF to become a Dusty Martin level player.

JHF does multiple ACLs, gets homesick, has mental health challenges or just doesn't come on as predicted vs spreading that risk across 3 potential stars.

Not to mention, 2-3 very good players are often more important than 1 star unless they are basically now needing JHF to become a Dusty Martin level player.

Thomas will be a top 5 AFL midfielder. We are just now potentially going to have two of them and a hell of a support staff in Phillips, Powell, Simpkin, LDU.

We are going the Brisbane Lions midfield build of the late 90’s.

Hornes basically our Akermanis.

Last edited:

This wasn’t a 3 for 1 deal
It was a 3 for 2 deal (wanted pick 1 and our future 2nd prior to us trading)

essentially moving pick 1 down to pick 4
Moving our future second up a few spots base on where dees finish

and recieving a crows future first

so to put names to it (it’s like JHF and CCJ vs Gibcus, next years end of first round and crows first round)

This wasn’t a 3 for 1 deal
It was a 3 for 2 deal (wanted pick 1 and our future 2nd prior to us trading)

essentially moving pick 1 down to pick 4
Moving our future second up a few spots base on where dees finish

and recieving a crows future first

Dont worry, people are fairly thick in this thread.

Most don’t realise the net gain was in reality a single R1 pick

On the flip side, he must have a special type of rating from the Crows for them to want to give up 3 first rounders for him. Says to me he is worth taking at this cost if that's what other clubs are prepared to do.

Settling for Scully and Trengove over Dusty hardly helped the Dees either.

If I was North I would come up with a revised offer maybe a player as well, see if the crows bite.

Think we got bent over on the Coleman-Jones trade. Why we had to give the 2 lowest picks I can't work out. Did they panic?

All things considered it's probably a reasonably valued trade, values Jones at probably ballpark pick 30 (?), but 1) Jones uncontracted 2) pick 1 PSD 3) trading Tarrant for a future 4th rounder was already a favour to Richmond (keep 38 for Chol).

Anything about "good trade relations" is ridiculous too. For 1 the turnover rate of club staff means grudges aren't going to be held, and if something benefited Richmond next year to do with North they wouldn't refuse to trade because of a grudge.
So yes North should have absolutely traded Tarrant for a future 4th and then been like give us Jones for 40, we're keeping 20, or off to the PSD we go. Instead North gave them both :drunk:

The whole idea of giving him an inflated contract is to give something we have a supply of (salary) so we don't have to sacrifice what we have less of (good picks/players).
Plus not getting 19 in through Macpherson hurts

Last edited:
Good on North for sticking to their guns.
There will be no doubt he will be a fantastic player.

Adelaide will be prudent to stay in his ear over the next two seasons and make a play for him at the end of his first contract. There were rumblings earlier this year he wanted to stay in SA so the challenge for north is to retain him long term. They won’t get a better off let than what Adelaide just proposed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And like the stock market, diversification lowers returns.

North really backing in their ability to retain this guy. If he requests a trade home in 2-5 years it's unlikely they'll get a deal this good. If he's the player they think he is and he wants to return you're probably looking at say two pick 10s (assuming Adelaide trend upwards) and losing those years in player development. I would try to negotiate to keep the future 2nd but gun to my head I think I'd take this one.

If there was no go-home factor I think I'd be on board with North rejecting it. It's not impossible that Adelaide's pick next year is pick 6+ and you might be looking at a player in the "next group" again, and Melbourne's first and North's second might not have much splitting them. If it turned out like that you'd prefer the guy you think is going to be a genuine gun. Will be interesting to look at where these picks sit next year because if Adelaide and Melbourne have worse than expected seasons it could be Collingwood trading pick 2 areas very quickly.

And like the stock market, diversification lowers returns.
Remember everyone thought Gibbs, Murphy, Watts, McCartin, Raynor etc would all be future stars, even if he does become a Petracca or Hodge or Riewoldt that's not necessarily more valuable than 3x other players who could become just as good or better or slightly worse.

Adelaide's first next year could easily be pick 1, or very likely a top 3 pick.

Either way, there's nothing like massive expectations to place on a kid that will follow him now as this will become the narrative once he's drafted.

North really backing in their ability to retain this guy. If he requests a trade home in 2-5 years it's unlikely they'll get a deal this good. If he's the player they think he is and he wants to return you're probably looking at say two pick 10s (assuming Adelaide trend upwards) and losing those years in player development. I would try to negotiate to keep the future 2nd but gun to my head I think I'd take this one.

If there was no go-home factor I think I'd be on board with North rejecting it. It's not impossible that Adelaide's pick next year is pick 6+ and you might be looking at a player in the "next group" again, and Melbourne's first and North's second might not have much splitting them. If it turned out like that you'd prefer the guy you think is going to be a genuine gun. Will be interesting to look at where these picks sit next year because if Adelaide and Melbourne have worse than expected seasons it could be Collingwood trading pick 2 areas very quickly.

The whole narrative on JHF has been his willingness to go anywhere and that one of his main attributes is loyalty. He also seemingly thrives on pressure and has a real drive to be the best of this draft. Assuredly, that has driven North’s decision here.

Loyalty goes both ways though and nothing says we’ve got you more than rejecting the biggest straight pick trade ever, let alone one of the biggest trades of all time.

Remember everyone thought Gibbs, Murphy, Watts, McCartin, Raynor etc would all be future stars, even if he does become a Petracca or Hodge or Riewoldt that's not necessarily more valuable than 3x other players who could become just as good or better or slightly worse.

Either way, there's nothing like massive expectations to place on a kid that will follow him now as this will become the narrative once he's drafted.

There’s as many busts in the top 5 as there is at 1.

You are running just as much of a risk missing out on a generation player at 1 and drafting two Morton’s or Trengoves as you are of taking McCartin over Petracca.

Let’s be honest, there’s way more hype with JHF as than there ever was with Rayner, McCartin etc.

His athletic profile doesn’t exactly scream man child either and he hasn’t been beating up on kids.

With the amount of early midfielders we’ve amassed we can afford to go quality over quantity.

Well the kid has massive expectations on him now anyway. Not convinced the offer from the Crows was as good as it first seems either.

There’s as many busts in the top 5 as there is at 1.

You are running just as much of a risk missing out on a generation player at 1 and drafting two Morton’s or Trengoves as you are of taking McCartin over Petracca.

Let’s be honest, there’s way more hype with JHF as than there ever was with Rayner, McCartin etc.

His athletic profile doesn’t exactly scream man child either and he hasn’t been beating up on kids.

With the amount of early midfielders we’ve amassed we can afford to go quality over quantity.
You do realise your post backs up my point? If the risk of gun or bust exists either way, then having 3 bets vs 1 is more favourable.

Again it’s 3 vs 2
Downgrade pick 1 to pick 6
Move a few spots up on our second rounder to dees first pick

And get a crows first rounder
The Crows first rounder next year is anywhere from 1-5 is the kicker for this. The second rounder you speak of isn't changing the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back