Fixture Season 2022 - Full AFL Fixture in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney will play Melbourne at the MCG in round 1, because they are the team Buddy is least likely to kick 5 goals against, then Hawthorn at the SCG in round 2.
I’m assuming they will schedule the Swans a home game in round 1. It would be gutsy to assume he won’t kick 5 goals first up and have the Swans playing away in the opener..

I think a good fixture would be to have them play Collingwood. It guarantees a blockbuster opponent supporting their champions milestone to help sell out the joint, and it also delivers on ensuring Collingwood ‘do the right thing’ as a bottom 4 team in 2021 by not being rewarded for its poor season in the opening round with a home MCG blockbuster.

My guess is Melbourne v Essendon on the Friday night. AFL usually save the GF rematch for about Round 7 or 8, and the Dees unfurling their flag against a big Melbourne-based club in prime time is likely to draw 70,000+ (assuming capacity crowds return in time for Round 1). Could be a decent contest too if Essendon carry their 2021 form into next season.

Thursday
Carlton v Richmond, MCG, 7.20pm (Seven)

Friday
Melbourne v Essendon, MCG, 7.50pm (Seven)

Saturday
Hawthorn v West Coast, MCG, 1.45pm
St Kilda v North Melbourne, Marvel, 4.35pm
Sydney v Geelong, SCG, 7.25pm (Seven)
Gold Coast v Collingwood, Metricon, 7.25pm

Sunday
Port Adelaide v GWS, Adelaide Oval, 2.10pm
Western Bulldogs v Brisbane, Marvel, 3.20pm (Seven)
Fremantle v Adelaide, Optus Stadium, 7.20pm

Last edited:

Putting fixture together - Accidently give North Melbourne 3 straight interstate games. Oops
Just completely switched Rd 2 and 4 to avoid that. But I really cbf making more changes to stop them travelling 3 of the first 4 games.
End of the day, they only have 4 away interstate games in my fixture either way. So who cares. Rd 5-23 they only leave Melbourne for 1 away game and their 4 Hobart games.

My guess is Melbourne v Essendon on the Friday night. AFL usually save the GF rematch for about Round 7 or 8, and the Dees unfurling their flag against a big Melbourne-based club in prime time is likely to draw 70,000+ (assuming capacity crowds return in time for Round 1). Could be a decent contest too if Essendon carry their 2021 form into next season.
Hasn't regularly been Rd 2 recently?

edit
2021 - 8 (premiers home game)
2020 - 8 (runners up home game)
2019 - 3 (runners up home game)
2018 - 2 (runners up home game)
2017 - 2 (premiers home game)
2016 - 2 (premiers home game)
2015 - 8 (premiers home game)
2014 - 3 (premiers home game)
2013 - 19 (premiers home game)
2012 - 8 (runners up home game)
2011 - 11 (premiers home game)
2010 - 13 (runners up home game)
2009 - 1 (premiers home game)
2008 - 1 (runners up home game)
2007 - 1 (runners up home game)
2006 - 15 (runners up home game)
2005 - 2 (premiers home game)
2004 - 3 (premiers home game)
2003 - 4 (premiers home game)
2002 - 3 (premiers home game)
2001 - 8 (runners up home game)
2000 - 11 (runners up home game)
1999 - 7 (runners up home game)
1998 - 3 (runners up home game)
1997 - 13 (runners up home game)
1996 - 8 (runners up home game)
1995 - 13 (runners up home game)
1994 - 9 (runners up home game)
1993 - 7 (runners up home game)
1992 - 14 (premiers home game)
1991 - 13 (runners up home game)

Last edited:
I imagine Collingwood will play down in Geelong this season.

Capacity at GMHBA will be reduced next season owing to the latest redevelopment, so it might have to wait another year I'd say. Think we'll play you away at the MCG again, as has been standard in recent years.

Capacity at GMHBA will be reduced next season owing to the latest redevelopment, so it might have to wait another year I'd say. Think we'll play you away at the MCG again, as has been standard in recent years.
You know, based off contracts (Collingwood at MCG, specific quantity of Essendon/Carlton home games at the MCG). You could play 10 games at GMHBA (and 1 at Marvel) and cover every single contract the AFL has.
But why screw over Geelong?

I'd rather just go, eh, Marvel can have 39 games (rather than the contracted 40) myself.

This is all North Melbourne's fault. Their new contract with Tasmania handing 1 extra game to Hobart has brought Marvel under the 40 barrier. Now no matter what, 1 of Melbourne, Richmond, Hawthorn, Collingwood or Geelong have to throw a home game at Marvel just to make up for North/St Kilda/Bulldogs selling games elsewhere (4 for North, 2 for Bulldogs, 1 for Saints)

I would expect GWS to get a round one home game, so they get one in at their main ground before the it is handed off for the Royal Easter Show. I'm guessing it won't be available for round two, but not sure on the turnaround times so it may be. They probably can't go back until round 7, presumed home games in round 3 and 5 at Manuka.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about the first game of the season is Melbourne v W. Bulldogs, all other games built around a GF replay
Just for shits and giggles I put this round together:
Melbourne v Bulldogs (2021/1954)
Richmond v Adelaide (2017)
Collingwood v Essendon (1990/11/02)
West Coast v Sydney (2005/06)
Port Adelaide v Brisbane Lions (2004)
Hawthorn v Fremantle (2013)
Carlton v North (1999)
Geelong v St Kilda (2009)
GWS v Gold Coast (two newest clubs, Suns have to play someone I guess)
Good ol' floating fixture after Round 5 / 6.

Will the WA border be open by March?
Last I saw the Herald Sun was suggesting with a bit more certainty in 2021, the fixture would be locked in R1-22 as usual with just R23 floating, like it was pre-2020.

I went for this.

Thursday night: Port v Geelong AO (two losing prelim finalists)

Friday night: West Coast v Melbourne Optus (Dees begin their flag defence where they won it)

Saturday: Carlton v Hawthorn MCG (Voss v Mitchell)
Saturday: Gold Coast v North Metricon
Saturday night: Essendon v Sydney Marvel (two losing EFs)
Saturday night: Fremantle v W. Bulldogs Optus (a thank you note to Perth for a great GF)

Sunday: GWS v Brisbane Giants Stadium (two losing semi-finalists)
Sunday: St Kilda v Richmond Marvel (cause Hardwick loves this ground)
Sunday: Collingwood v Adelaide MCG (Crows due to play Pies in Melb)

It’s not a tradition because it’s only been going for two years. Our president pushed for it with the hope that in time it may be recognised as a round one staple. It may not end up there but again, there’s no harm in trying.

I've noticed it over the years. It sort of snuck up on me I must admit. It also didn't happen in 2019 or 2018 as well? Why is that?

I've noticed it over the years. It sort of snuck up on me I must admit. It also didn't happen in 2019 or 2018 as well? Why is that?
Cause the pies said nah * off now because we didn’t make the 8 in 2017 or 2018.
As soon as we made the top 8 again, we played them round 1 the next year again.

Cause the pies said nah fu** off now because we didn’t make the 8 in 2017 or 2018.
As soon as we made the top 8 again, we played them round 1 the next year again.
Hmm, seems a bit fickle.

Based on his distribution of goals last year and a back of hand calculation, Buddy is a 1/6 chance of reaching 1000 goals in his first game, a 1/2 chance of reaching it in his second game, and a 1/3 chance of reaching it in three or more games.
I'd be making the Swans play away in R1 and plan for R2 to be the game he makes it - I would guess that means playing Hawthorn at the SCG on a Friday night. To keep them in Sydney just in case and not * up the travel schedule they could then play a home Sydney derby in R3, and a home game in R4. An away derby is not feasible in R3 due to the Easter Show putting the Showgrounds out of action. GWS would be playing three straight away games but with home games needing to be played in Canberra anyway, it's technically reducing travel. They'd get three straight home games later in the season too when the return derby is played. Sydney would have to pay later with consecutive away games, the middle of which at the Showgrounds.

Another go at it:

Thursday night: Port v Geelong AO

Friday night: Melbourne v Essendon MCG

Saturday: Collingwood v Adelaide MCG
Saturday: Gold Coast v North Metricon
Saturday night: W. Bulldogs v Sydney Marvel
Saturday night: Fremantle v St Kilda Optus

Sunday: Hawthorn v West Coast Marvel
Sunday: Richmond v Carlton MCG
Sunday: GWS v Brisbane Lions GIANTS Stadium

Based on his distribution of goals last year and a back of hand calculation, Buddy is a 1/6 chance of reaching 1000 goals in his first game, a 1/2 chance of reaching it in his second game, and a 1/3 chance of reaching it in three or more games.
I'd be making the Swans play away in R1 and plan for R2 to be the game he makes it - I would guess that means playing Hawthorn at the SCG on a Friday night. To keep them in Sydney just in case and not fu** up the travel schedule they could then play a home Sydney derby in R3, and a home game in R4. An away derby is not feasible in R3 due to the Easter Show putting the Showgrounds out of action. GWS would be playing three straight away games but with home games needing to be played in Canberra anyway, it's technically reducing travel. They'd get three straight home games later in the season too when the return derby is played. Sydney would have to pay later with consecutive away games, the middle of which at the Showgrounds.

It is a weird thing, the AFL trying to organise the Swans fixture in the first few rounds based on when they think Buddy will kick his 1000's goal. I have no doubt they want that game to be against Hawthorn but if it isn't I think they will want it against another big named club, so expect the first 3 rounds Sydney play to be at the SCG or MCG against big clubs, with round 2 being against Hawthorn.

It is a weird thing, the AFL trying to organise the Swans fixture in the first few rounds based on when they think Buddy will kick his 1000's goal. I have no doubt they want that game to be against Hawthorn but if it isn't I think they will want it against another big named club, so expect the first 3 rounds Sydney play to be at the SCG or MCG against big clubs, with round 2 being against Hawthorn.
I know if the Swans are playing at the MCG in R1, I'll be trying to get there

Remove this Banner Ad

Back