Owners

Remove this Banner Ad

Good article. Wasn't aware but Pablo Escobar bought a club at the peak of his powers (Nacional). Throw a lot of money at something and people seemingly can ignore anything. He built entire neighbourhoods in Medellin & threw all sorts of money at poor disadvantaged areas and in their eyes became a hero. The fact that the money came from being a murderous drug dealer was ignored.

If this trend continues I can imagine a PL with a Sultan of Brunei, african dictators, Iranian supreme leader, Kim Jong etc etc all owning a club. We dont want these people in our game and allowing the Saudis is one step closer to that reality.

Good article. Wasn't aware but Pablo Escobar bought a club at the peak of his powers (Nacional). Throw a lot of money at something and people seemingly can ignore anything. He built entire neighbourhoods in Medellin & threw all sorts of money at poor disadvantaged areas and in their eyes became a hero. The fact that the money came from being a murderous drug dealer was ignored.

If this trend continues I can imagine a PL with a Sultan of Brunei, african dictators, Iranian supreme leader, Kim Jong etc etc all owning a club. We dont want these people in our game and allowing the Saudis is one step closer to that reality.
Trend?

Pretty harsh on the supporters. What’s the average Newcastle supporter supposed to?

Should be putting his moralising squarely on the premier league and the UK government if he wants to go there.

The Emiratis are no angels either.

Pretty harsh on the supporters. What’s the average Newcastle supporter supposed to?

Should be putting his moralising squarely on the premier league and the UK government if he wants to go there.

The Emiratis are no angels either.

Welcome to our club. If you cant sort out your human rights issues and cant stop murdering dissident journalists then please leave our club. We dont want to be associated with that.

Welcome to our club. If you cant sort out your human rights issues and cant stop murdering dissident journalists then please leave our club. We dont want to be associated with that.

the supporters aren’t owners of the club in any way, shape or form. They have no power in who owns it.

And if we are to apply a moral judgement which other clubs, associations and ruling bodies should we also target? The Saudis aren’t the only game in town when it comes to that.

the supporters aren’t owners of the club in any way, shape or form. They have no power in who owns it.

And if we are to apply a moral judgement which other clubs, associations and ruling bodies should we also target? The Saudis aren’t the only game in town when it comes to that.

They are certainly the long term owners of the club in every sense except the literal ownership (so I wouldn't say they aren't owners in ANY shape or form).

Supporters can be influential in how a club is run. Look at the pushback on ESL plans from fans of clubs that were going to benefit from it the most. Should they have just sat around on their thumbs and say oh well we now have more money ?

Supporters cant chose their owners but a campaign from the Newcastle fans demanding humqn rights changes would be very powerful.

Instead we see Saudi flags being waved around SJP. Its all very disturbing.

They are certainly the long term owners of the club in every sense except the literal ownership (so I wouldn't say they aren't owners in ANY shape or form).

even if I agreed with that statement is completely irrelevant to the point I made

Supporters can be influential in how a club is run. Look at the pushback on ESL plans from fans of clubs that were going to benefit from it the most. Should they have just sat around on their thumbs and say oh well we now have more money ?

Supporters cant chose their owners but a campaign from the Newcastle fans demanding humqn rights changes would be very powerful.

Instead we see Saudi flags being waved around SJP. Its all very disturbing.

Newcastle fans have a supporters trust, the previous owner took no notice of them. Say what you will about the rank and file support but to say they have any power in terms of ownership is a flat out falsehood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Newcastle fans have a supporters trust, the previous owner took no notice of them. Say what you will about the rank and file support but to say they have any power in terms of ownership is a flat out falsehood.

Those pesky ESL club fans, imagine the cheek of them to protest something that benefitted them financially. Should have just stood around and did nothing.

Say what you want but the majority of the toon fanbase demanding changes to Saudi human rights & oppression would be very powerful and difficult to ignore.

Those pesky ESL club fans, imagine the cheek of them to protest something that benefitted them financially. Should have just stood around and did nothing.

Say what you want but the majority of the toon fanbase demanding changes to Saudi human rights & oppression would be very powerful and difficult to ignore.

that is separate to who has a say in ownership of the club. If you are saying the NUST should speak up about the human rights abuses in SA I have no doubt they will.

But why should they be the standard bearers of outrage when the same standard is hardly applied to any other club or governing body? They’ll do it because they’re decent human beings.

I hope you speak up where you see it not applied in the same spirit elsewhere

You will probably see significant protests at the Newcastle away games.

I hope all clubs discuss forfeiting the away games to Newcastle. Id be on board with it.

look forward to you leading the charge against Arsenal, Chelsea, Man City etc

even if I agreed with that statement is completely irrelevant to the point I made

You said that supporters aren't owners in any sense which is false. Players, owners, managers come and go, the one constant is the fans. It's why so many owners refer to themselves as custodians of the club. It's not irrelevant to suggest that those owners should be mindful of the best interests of the supporters.

You said that supporters aren't owners in any sense which is false. Players, owners, managers come and go, the one constant is the fans. It's why so many owners refer to themselves as custodians of the club. It's not irrelevant to suggest that those owners should be mindful of the best interests of the supporters.

maybe rethink where you’re going with this. It’s not coherent

You must be new around here.

yes I am. But the standard applies to all, no? What level of corruption and human rights abuse are you prepared to tolerate before you get on your high horse?

it’s mutually exclusive. You can’t tolerate a little bit then sook when it’s in full show. You enabled it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back