Opinion Gold Coast should be allowed to pay Ben King outside the Salary Cap

Remove this Banner Ad

Just fold the club. Hopefully a couple of Covid years has lost the AFL enough coin to scrap the GC and AFLW. It’s a business and if people don’t want to pay to watch or pay for your product then you have nothing. How many years can they just keep footing the bill. GC and GWS just diluted the talent pool. Now an extra 100 blokes on a list that weren’t good enough previously. AFLW the same, adding more teams dilutes the talent even further. Actually pretty scary that it could be any worse to watch.

Mills was from an AFL mad family and was always going to play AFL. I agree that academies are needed but don't make stuff up to suit your narrative

RUBBISH. His grandfather Ray Mills was a champ in the Perth FC 3peat in 60s, whose career finished prematurely & he left Perth for work before he turned 30.
His son, Callums father was not an avid Aussie Rules fan, and it was the Swans president who was responsible for Callum giving up Rugby Union to join the Sydney Swans Academy.
Having seen Ray Mills win all of those flags I was not surprised the boy has talent .
You ask about the narrative, you should research your remarks, not go for the broad brush.

GC could have drafted both King boys and avoided all this talk from the start.

They knew what they were getting into and are backing themselves to earn Ben's trust and loyalty.

If the pull to come home is still too great then maybe they need to stop throwing massive $$ and contracts to these guys as 18yos and build a culture around something other than money.

Pretty sure Carlton receive more money from the AFL than we do
Dees in 2014 hold the record for the $3 million bail out, plus the non-financial contributions such as appointments and variations to contract.

GCS and GWS have obviously received the most over recent years, however Melbourne are almost double the next club.

Theres a reason why Dees Suns and Giants are known as the AFL run clubs.

GC could have drafted both King boys and avoided all this talk from the start.

They knew what they were getting into and are backing themselves to earn Ben's trust and loyalty.

If the pull to come home is still too great then maybe they need to stop throwing massive $$ and contracts to these guys as 18yos and build a culture around something other than money.

Did you come down in the last shower?

Dees in 2014 hold the record for the $3 million bail out, plus the non-financial contributions such as appointments and variations to contract.

GCS and GWS have obviously received the most over recent years, however Melbourne are almost double the next club.

Theres a reason why Dees Suns and Giants are known as the AFL run clubs.

Yet of recent years your team has been receiving more

RUBBISH. His grandfather Ray Mills was a champ in the Perth FC 3peat in 60s, whose career finished prematurely & he left Perth for work before he turned 30.
His son, Callums father was not an avid Aussie Rules fan, and it was the Swans president who was responsible for Callum giving up Rugby Union to join the Sydney Swans Academy.
Having seen Ray Mills win all of those flags I was not surprised the boy has talent .
You ask about the narrative, you should research your remarks, not go for the broad brush.

What a complete load of tripe. Listen to what his mum said about him growing up, he always had a footy in his hands, he was never going to play Rugby

To answer the question. No. Absolutely not. Clarko incoming, the Suns will be fine.
Hawks last won a flag 6 years ago and then missed the 8, 4 out 5 seasons since. Clarko might give the club relevance but they will still be no good. Game has changed a bit since the hawks were last any good

Hawks last won a flag 6 years ago and then missed the 8, 4 out 5 seasons since. Clarko might give the club relevance but they will still be no good. Game has changed a bit since the hawks were last any good
gold coast list is already talented...plus theyll receive some afl mambo jambo when clarko joins

similar to the treatment the AFL run demons received with the Roos appointnemnt and their $3 million afl handout bailout

You do realise we drew with the Premiers and beat the losing Grand Finalist?

By your logic Freo has never been any good. Is that what youre saying?

Not going to get much of a bite. Freo have never really been much good, you won’t get an argument from me haha. Made a GF and had a couple of good years before. Apart from that.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide Beat Melb, Geelong and lost to port by a kick. Not sure of your point.

I agree the game has changed but Clarkos last 4 weeks with a rebuilding squad (please don’t bite my head off hawks fans just my opinion) suggests to me he’s still got it.

Lol blaming the VIC clubs. Why should players have to spend their whole career at a club with no fans that is run terribly? They have had many gun players and they still currently do. All they have to do is identify the stars and pay them well. They will lose a few along the way, like GWS but they will get compensated for them. They run into problems when they overpay average role players by significant amounts, then they cant afford to keep the players they need to and everything falls apart.

To true.

Then again having lots of fans isnt the silver bullet, Richmond spent 30 years wasting the careers of some pretty decent footballers, in the end their supporters booing, spitting and threatening them seemed to do the trick. Oh and Neil Balme, Brendon Gale and others who were decent operators they finally appointed.

I am not a Gold Coast fan but I am getting sick of Victorian clubs acting like vultures towards Gold Coast players.

Victorian supporters: Let's poach all the Suns good players.
Also Victorian supporters: Is the AFL overtaking the NRL in Queensland?

Players used to leave Brisbane all the time too. They don’t any more.

Gold Coast simply has to get their sh*t together. It’s not a salary cap issue.

Exactly. Making finals would be a huge step. Players don’t often leave a side if they are best 22 and always making finals. It’s still happens of course, but not nearly as often.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back