Opinion Leigh Matthews and that season he didn't win the Brownlow . . .

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure I agree with this.
You do not have to agree.
It just my observation having lived through what it was like before salary cap and expansion.
Just seems less absolute stars now per team on average which has made complete sense why it so much easier for the stars in a team to get more of the votes than in past.
You do not have to agree with it and can understand if you not lived through it and only trying to work backwards why.

I'm not sure I agree with this.

In 1970 the population of Victoria was around 2.5 million and that means that the 12 Victorian teams drew on a pool of about 208,000 people each, with a scattering of players from outside topping up above that. Today there's 18 teams drawing on a far bigger population. Even if we only include Vic, SA and WA, the population is about 11 million people = 611,000 people each. Throw in better and more consistent training methods, better injury management, and the pool and depth of talent is much, much deeper.

That should lead to the opposite. Teams today should be spreading votes far more thinly. Sure, North Melbourne had Blight, Grieg, Cable, Crosswell and Dench, but they thinned out a bit as well too Melbourne. Melbourne this year equally had Petracca, Oliver, Gawn, etc, and they bat far deeper.

That should translate to the 70s and 80s being dominated by high vote counts imo - the gulf between the stars and the scrubs was enormous, and it stands out like anything when you watch old games.

I think that along with umpire error (which was harder in the days when there was no stats sheet and one senior/one junior umpire rather than than 5 veterans or whatever you get today), the two big factors are:
- the decline of big backs of goalkicking. Less random blokes popping up and kicking 6, let alone star forwards kicking 12
- better fitness, rotations and planning/preparation, as well as less tagging of midfielders, meaning that good midfielders play well more often
i agree. im always hearing about how much better players were blah blah blah in the 70s and 80s and how the league is full of unskilled hacks now in comparison. and then i see footage from them and every second kick or handball is some horribly spinning pie floater that just went vaguely near a pack of players. even just today i saw a video about one of jarmans 'great grand final goals' and its just a regulation snap from about 20m out. even KB who is often called a highly skilled player, you look at videos and his kicking action is very ungainly. he must have been seen as skillful just because the ball spun the way it was meant to. and dont get me started on this 'kicking off the wrong foot' rubbish too. watching replays and for the most part theyre lucky if the ball even hits their opposite foot.

a guy like jason castagna would be a highly skilled superstar back in that area.

You do not have to agree.
It just my observation having lived through what it was like before salary cap and expansion.
Just seems less absolute stars now per team on average which has made complete sense why it so much easier for the stars in a team to get more of the votes than in past.
You do not have to agree with it and can understand if you not lived through it and only trying to work backwards why.
there are less 'absolute stars' because the general standard has lifted so fewer can stand out from the pack. when everyone is a B, you stand out juts being an A. When everyone is an A, its harder to stand out much more.

wtf!? Show me any shred of evidence that I have ever stated anything like that

You're a nutter
You're claiming a bloke who was suspended for 3 games in nearly 400 games and went something like 9 years between reports is a dirty player, in a thread about the biggest and dirtiest thug the game has ever seen. There's clearly an alterior motive.

Disagree. Plenty of very ordinary footballers around getting games that would not have in past.
Only cause there's not enough teams for them to fit. The duddest of unskilled players today are more skilled than half the players from the 70s and 80s. I genuinely feel embarrassed for people who can't see it. Watching old replays is cringeworthy.

You're claiming a bloke who was suspended for 3 games in nearly 400 games and went something like 9 years between reports is a dirty player, in a thread about the biggest and dirtiest thug the game has ever seen. There's clearly an alterior motive.
Now it's not like a bleeding heart like you to be prone to exaggerations is it?

If his thuggery was acceptable then why was he suspended and even charged by the police?

Weak words in support of a weak dog of a human.
Grow up!!

200 years ago people were shipped off to a penal colony for stealing a loaf of bread to feed their families. Today you could drive your car down Bourke St, kill half a dozen people and get off on insanity!! You can only measure standards by their own times.

Leigh Matthews wasn't the cleanest player, but there were many more worse than him at the time.

You can only measure standards by their own times.
wow you're a right ******* lunatic arent you. raping your wife was legal until the mid 90's. I suppose that made raping your wife an acceptable thing to do until then, right?

but the statement "You can only measure standards by their own times." is stupid in the first place anyway. mathews' thuggery was not acceptable to the game, thats why he was suspended a bunch, temporarily deregistered and even charged by the police.

Today you could drive your car down Bourke St, kill half a dozen people and get off on insanity!!
this just proves youre one of those raving mad 'back in my day' types who should be neither seen nor heard, because they just throw out random uneducated crap about how everything is s**t these days. the bloke got life.
https://www.skynews.com.au/australi...prison/video/7375f25f2ea395a83283163b610cd1d0

(Log in to remove this ad.)

wow you're a right ******* lunatic arent you. raping your wife was legal until the mid 90's. I suppose that made raping your wife an acceptable thing to do until then, right?

but the statement "You can only measure standards by their own times." is stupid in the first place anyway. mathews' thuggery was not acceptable to the game, thats why he was suspended a bunch, temporarily deregistered and even charged by the police.

this just proves youre one of those raving mad 'back in my day' types who should be neither seen nor heard, because they just throw out random uneducated crap about how everything is sh*t these days. the bloke got life.
https://www.skynews.com.au/australi...prison/video/7375f25f2ea395a83283163b610cd1d0
Blah, blah, blah. Go and give the back of your ears a wipe FWit!!

Jeans had a history of encouraging his players to employ the dark arts. His St Kilda teams were notorious and despised. As a policeman, he was irritated by having to answer tough questions and having his character held up to inquisition. By a mop top full forward of all people. Peter Mackenna was very good, he wasn't indimidated by the copper, as was Captain Blood in an unlikely peace keeper role.
Geelong went the knuckle on Hawthorn throughout that game, mate

They started the fights

Bruns was reported in the first half for belting Michael Tuck

Mark Jackson went berserk in the last quarter (before Matthews hit Bruns) and was punching on with anyone he crossed paths with: Ayres, Langford, Mew
He was reported by every umpire for about 3 or 4 separate incidents.

But carry on with your bullshit about how Allan Jeans "encouraged" Matthews "to employ the dark arts".... You muppet :D :drunk:

Grow up!!

200 years ago people were shipped off to a penal colony for stealing a loaf of bread to feed their families. Today you could drive your car down Bourke St, kill half a dozen people and get off on insanity!! You can only measure standards by their own times.

Leigh Matthews wasn't the cleanest player, but there were many more worse than him at the time.

That is not true - forced migration was a key to establishment of a colony rather than a punitive measure for petty crime. This is why so many women, children and able bodied skilled men were transported.

Punitive deportation was reserved for higher crimes with labor camps from these criminals used for the economic benefit of the colony.

It’s almost like you don’t even have a basic understanding of Australian history, society snd culture.

The ironical thing is Matthews got king hit too , he looks worse than Bruns as he is helped from the ground .

Was it Bews who clocked matthews???

Not surprised. He got what he deserved. He had a few Cats pounce on him within moments of seeing what he did to Bruns.
Cops seeing it charged him too.

a guy like jason castagna would be a highly skilled superstar back in that area.

But could he have handled the off the ball treatment?

Many made it because they were old school and tough blokes.
Probably a few potential superstars never made it because they disliked the 'argy-bargy' side of the game.
From what we are led to believe . . . the 70's were absolutely brutal.

Was it Bews who clocked matthews???

Steve Hocking ko'd him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back