Recommitted Tristan Xerri [contracted and requested a trade to St Kilda, didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

What doesn't make sense to me is that this seems like another Preuss situation.

He's preferring to be behind Ryder (1 year), and Marshall.

As opposed to Goldstein (1, maybe 2 years) and ???. A bunch of unproven rucks (players in general) - Jones, Edwards - and a depth senior player in Campbell who he already overtook.

If I was a ruck looking for greater opportunity right now, going for another year in the VFL behind Ryder and Marshall, and then hoping like hell that the Saints resist the urge to have Marshall number 1 ruck (I can see why they would want King/Marshall as the forward combo, but Marshall has proven himself in the ruck), would not be my first option.

Suns with Witts coming back from an ACL, Cats, Hawks to try beat out Reeves, Eagles as 2nd ruck behind NicNat all seem better options for opportunity, either as first ruck or 2nd ruck but getting games.

And the best option for playing time would be to stay at North. And have Jones be 2nd ruck.
Have those other clubs shown interest in Xerri?

One reason he may want to leave (and this is not throwing stones) is that he may not like being at North anymore. Opportunity, number 1 ruck position, played out of position could all be reasons people talk about, but sometimes it may just be the employer not being to his liking. I have left plenty of jobs before, because I preferred the style of another company, no reason a player can’t think the same thing.

One reason he may want to leave (and this is not throwing stones) is that he may not like being at North anymore. Opportunity, number 1 ruck position, played out of position could all be reasons people talk about, but sometimes it may just be the employer not being to his liking. I have left plenty of jobs before, because I preferred the style of another company, no reason a player can’t think the same thing.
Or Xerri knows that Ryder probably has only one year left in him, can spend a year in the Magoos developing his ruck craft and in 2023 can come in and be the number 1 ruck.

Or Xerri knows that Ryder probably has only one year left in him, can spend a year in the Magoos developing his ruck craft and in 2023 can come in and be the number 1 ruck.
Goldy may very well only have a year left also and whilst CCJ wants to play ruck he might be better suited to CHF and second ruck

which would mean Xerri has a clear path to first ruck as opposed to behind marshall

Goldy may very well only have a year left also and whilst CCJ wants to play ruck he might be better suited to CHF and second ruck

which would mean Xerri has a clear path to first ruck as opposed to behind marshall
I reckon St Kilda wants Marshall playing 2nd ruck and as an Extra tall.

But any trade is up to clubs now.

I wonder if Saints are targeting Xerri as a potential 2-3 year stop gap to give Heath time to develop. Heath looked good still playing for Sandy dragons this year but will probably need a few years of development before he's ready for afl football.

I wonder if Saints are targeting Xerri as a potential 2-3 year stop gap to give Heath time to develop. Heath looked good still playing for Sandy dragons this year but will probably need a few years of development before he's ready for afl football.
I'd say we just don't want to throw all our eggs in one basket.

Heath was a mid season draft pick and their were two or three ruckmen drafted ahead of him.

He's far from a certainty to make it.

I don't think stop gap. Xerri himself is only 22, so he too will be raw for a few years yet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I predict it will be done on Monday. Either Saints F2 for Xerri and 42, or F3 for Xerri and 72. Hopefully the former, probably the latter.
I think you might be disappointed. No chance on earth a 2nd is in the conversation. Maybe a 3rd with a 4th back at best

I think you might be disappointed. No chance on earth a 2nd is in the conversation. Maybe a 3rd with a 4th back at best
This is why I think it will be a player swap for someone like Long

there’s no value in a pick swap for us, May as well just hold him to his contract

We wont waste time on it. It is more a question of how many points stk think they need to match bids on their 2 academy players. They'll use either f3 or f2 depending on how much change they think they need.

Apparently negotiations opened up yesterday morning and things are looking good from both sides. Saints should be able to get this done without much fuss.
Well that rumour was wrong (bf lets me down again). Rawlings on SEN this morning. Likely a bit of posturing.

“If Xerri goes, we will look at bringing in another ruckman. "

'Very much a required player, we have no interest in moving Tristan on and it will take a very good offer to move him on' - Brady Rawlings

re CCJ "....someone who can ruck post Goldy....WITH Tristan...."

5F043B82-6D9C-4A7D-81CF-527125BC3D04.png

Last edited:
I'd say we just don't want to throw all our eggs in one basket.

Heath was a mid season draft pick and their were two or three ruckmen drafted ahead of him.

He's far from a certainty to make it.

He's the best ruck in the TAC cup and it's not close.

Well that rumour was wrong (bf lets me down again). Rawlings on SEN this morning. Likely a bit of posturing.

“If Xerri goes, we will look at bringing in another ruckman. "

'Very much a required player, we have no interest in moving Tristan on and it will take a very good offer to move him on' - Brady Rawlings

re CCJ "....someone who can ruck post Goldy....WITH Tristan...."

View attachment 1257690
Xerri for Paul Hunter than...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back