80​
-​
-​
78​
-​
Sorrento​
Cups WR​

Last edited:
Ugly 24 points today. Only thing that was working was putting. Things could have been worse except for a bunch of 15 feet saves for 1 point lol.

Is it just my club or is this happening elsewhere?
We are about to have four different tee markers and you’ll nominate which colour you play off that day and he handicapped accordingly.
Think it’s to do away with any men’s or women’s comps and just have all open days. I can only see it slowing play down significantly.

Competitions at National are already all in which makes complete sense to me. A while ago they started encouraging people to use alternative tees which again I think is a very positive idea. It's a shame there is such a stigma attached to the colour of a tee marker as many older guys and higher handicappers who don't hit the ball too far would probably have much more fun playing a shorter setup and avoid having to hit a hybrid or fairway wood into every par 3 and 4. The newly renovated Sandy Golf Links and Lonsdale links have changed the colour of their markers to try and encourage use of the shorter option for people who could benefit from it. I hit the ball a reasonable distance and regularly play shorter tees for a bit of fun and to give the course a different flavour.

As for slowing play down I don't see how this is going to add much more than 20 seconds per hole. This time can be easily saved in other ways e.g walking faster, less practice swings, not walking in a row and waiting behind each player when they hit, moving to the next tee box while the rest of the group putt out.

As Paddy said at our club we've had that for a while. It certainly changes things up. Hitting from the ladies isnt always "easy".

ALso as paddy said, not much if any. Getting to your ball, getting off the green (i.e. all four players dont need to putt out before exiting), leaving your bag at point of exit or near the path to the next hole etc is what promotes faster play

As Paddy said at our club we've had that for a while. It certainly changes things up. Hitting from the ladies isnt always "easy".

ALso as paddy said, not much if any. Getting to your ball, getting off the green (i.e. all four players dont need to putt out before exiting), leaving your bag at point of exit or near the path to the next hole etc is what promotes faster play
Yeah I’m just thinking of some holes where the tees are in completely different locations particularly of for example all 4 in the group have decided to play on the 4 different tees.

Yeah I’m just thinking of some holes where the tees are in completely different locations particularly of for example all 4 in the group have decided to play on the 4 different tees.
Not sure where you play but it would seem rare that tees are spread too far away from each other. Again from my experience the back tees don't get much use apart from medal days so having 4 tees in use from a single group would almost never happen. If there are more than 4 sets of tees then the excess should be removed.

Monthly Medal on the first Saturday of the month is off the blue tees. Just recently it was decided that they’d run a stableford as well (mainly for the older members) off the standard white tees. If you play in my group it’s frowned upon to not play in the Monthly Medal. 😂

Played 18 at Churchill Park this morning. Course was wet...and muddy. Couch not really through yet. Started off with birdie and it went South from there. Was tracking along quite well when I found a greenside trap after trickling off the surface in reg...very muddy...bladed and walked off with triple...and a 9 on the next hole 🤦‍♂️. Bit more solid on the back nine. 23 over.

Played 18 at Churchill Park this morning. Course was wet...and muddy. Couch not really through yet. Started off with birdie and it went South from there. Was tracking along quite well when I found a greenside trap after trickling off the surface in reg...very muddy...bladed and walked off with triple...and a 9 on the next hole 🤦‍♂️. Bit more solid on the back nine. 23 over.
If a bunker is muddy i would be playing that as GUR or at the very least a preferred lie

If a bunker is muddy i would be playing that as GUR or at the very least a preferred lie
My kid was in 3 before it so I played as it lied...but he only just got out...so I was pretty aggressive with my swing and expected the club to dig, but it did not and flew the green. Oh well.

Currently at the Dunes you have to play in a comp to submit a card, but guess what no comps atm due to the stupid rules! It’s very frustrating as when playing we treat it as if we’re playing in a comp, and when you have a decent round, like I did last week, it counts for nothing.
Why does it matter what your handicap is when:

a) there's no comps on anywhere
b) the pubs aren't open so you can't go bragging to your mates about your new mark.

Is it just my club or is this happening elsewhere?
We are about to have four different tee markers and you’ll nominate which colour you play off that day and he handicapped accordingly.
Think it’s to do away with any men’s or women’s comps and just have all open days. I can only see it slowing play down significantly.
Noble idea however 99.9% of men will never play the shorter tees (and 99.9% of women will never play longer tees when offered).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Noble idea however 99.9% of men will never play the shorter tees (and 99.9% of women will never play longer tees when offered).
Generally i will try and play at whatever is between 5800m to absolute maximum of 6200m. Once you get past that it will generally mean for me it will be long irons into most green which isn't enjoyable doing that all day

Most comps at my club are off the blue tees at the tips. 6600m long. They’ve got rid of the whites all together recently. It’s brutal, especially on a breezy day. I get 3 extra shots to my handicap when I play bu they can be cancelled out pretty quickly.

Still, it’s generally a nice ego massage playing the whites at the local public course and knocking about 10 shots off what I normally shoot, plus having a reasonable chance to hit some greens in reg if I don’t go driver off the tee.

Last edited:
Most comps at my club are off the blue tees at the tips. 6600m long. They’ve got rid of the whites all together recently. It’s brutal, especially on a breezy day. I get 3 extra shots to my handicap when I play bu they can be cancelled out pretty quickly.

Still, it’s generally a nice ego massage playing the whites at the local public course and knocking about 10 shots off what I normally shoot, plus having a reasonable chance to hit some greens in reg if I don’t go driver off the tee.
6600m is far too long for the average golfer in my opinion. Takes the design intent of the course away.

6600m is far too long for the average golfer in my opinion. Takes the design intent of the course away.

Yeh there’s a few tight par 4 holes I just aim to get on the green in 3 and take 3 wood or 5 wood. Fairway bunkers are redundant. Two par 5’s are completely unreachable in two by most, pretty much making the green side bunkers redundant as you’d normally your approach shot is a short, simple pitch. There’s no realistically reachable short par 4’s. Closest needs a massive blind carry over a dogleg and trees to even get close.

6600 is relative though.

It depends where the extra distance is added.

As an example

Par 3s over 200m generally screw 85% of a Saturday field, If you have 3 long par 3s that's carnage
4Par 3 total - 750 metre max
4Par 5 total - 2250 metre max
10Par 4 total - 3800 metre max

And then it depends on green size

Yarra Yarra today. I enjoyed the round. Will try play it again soon, or via mates who are members. Very open but it aint easy. Greens unfamiliar, though putting was good from distance. Very slick. Protection are these and bunkering hugging said greens.
One of the lucky few to get a spot!

Never played it pre reno but seemed like Doak did a great job there.

Hoping a bit more comes of this little deal ;)

Yeh there’s a few tight par 4 holes I just aim to get on the green in 3 and take 3 wood or 5 wood. Fairway bunkers are redundant. Two par 5’s are completely unreachable in two by most, pretty much making the green side bunkers redundant as you’d normally your approach shot is a short, simple pitch. There’s no realistically reachable short par 4’s. Closest needs a massive blind carry over a dogleg and trees to even get close.
Do you enjoy playing the back tees or regular tees more out of curiosity?

Many of my favourite golf holes in Australia are short/reachable 4's that give you options off the tee based on how much risk you are willing to take.

Do you enjoy playing the back tees or regular tees more out of curiosity?

Many of my favourite golf holes in Australia are short/reachable 4's that give you options off the tee based on how much risk you are willing to take.

There’s no “regular” tees at my home course anymore. Just blue comp tees, red ladies and yellow tees in front of the ladies for the super old. Would like to play shorter tees, but then again I want to play comps so I have to play the blue tees where they put them - miles back. Medal round the other week was into a gale at the absolute tips, but probably played my best ever golf even though I only scored a net 76 - intrinsically rewarding to finish that round, perhaps more so than shooting 15 shots lower on a short, friendly course where my daily handicap actually decreases.

This was my home course 25 years ago before I moved to Queensland. Still a par 5 first? Dog leg par 4 second?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back