Recommitted Tristan Xerri [contracted and requested a trade to St Kilda, didn't get there]

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Quick tip - if you don't want to pay for a contracted player, don't ask for one
I'm sure we won't end up paying for him if that is the price.

There is nothing wrong with asking the question though. Happens every year.

The worst thing that could happen is North say no. We lose nothing.

Plenty of times clubs have let a contracted player move for opportunity though.

The ball is in Norths court and I doubt Saints fans will lose too much sleep if North decide to keep him.

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm sure we won't end up paying for him if that is the price.

There is nothing wrong with asking the question though. Happens every year.

The worst thing that could happen is North say no. We lose nothing.

Plenty of times clubs have let a contracted player move for opportunity though.

The ball is in Norths court and I doubt Saints fans will lose too much sleep if North decide to keep him.
Agree with most of that, but then people shouldn't be wringing their hands when North set their terms. Only the last bit is wrong - we've said what it would take, Saints have said no, and Rawlings has made it pretty clear he won't be picking up the phone. Over to you

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Agree with most of that, but then people shouldn't be wringing their hands when North set their terms. Only the last bit is wrong - we've said what it would take, Saints have said no, and Rawlings has made it pretty clear he won't be picking up the phone. Over to you
It's not wrong at all. We were never going to pay that for him.

So basically North are just saying no by asking for a 2nd rounder.

If North want to keep a contracted player that doesn't want to be there that's their call.

They could likely get a 3rd for him now.

In 12 months time he's likely worth less IMO..

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

If North want to keep a contracted player that doesn't want to be there that's their call.

correct

Significant

Premiership Player
Nov 30, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda

This is the part that doesn't make great sense to me.
I'm not sure why North are standing in the way of this.
It's been said that he is the heir apparent to Goldy, well then why wasn't he getting games from the start of the year in a rebuilding side?
Others were played regardless of age to speed up their growth as they are seen as the future - Powell, Phillips, Taylor, Mahoney, Atu, Lazzaro, Ford.
He could have literally doubled his games tally this season and be a year more advanced if he is the future of your ruck division.

Personally, if I was Xerri, I would be getting my manager in to have a hard word with the club about what my future looks like and whether it is in their best interests to be asking for an unreasonable trade price at this stage of my career.

This is the part that doesn't make great sense to me.
I'm not sure why North are standing in the way of this.
It's been said that he is the heir apparent to Goldy, well then why wasn't he getting games from the start of the year in a rebuilding side?
Others were played regardless of age to speed up their growth as they are seen as the future - Powell, Phillips, Taylor, Mahoney, Atu, Lazzaro, Ford.
He could have literally doubled his games tally this season and be a year more advanced if he is the future of your ruck division.

Personally, if I was Xerri, I would be getting my manager in to have a hard word with the club about what my future looks like and whether it is in their best interests to be asking for an unreasonable trade price at this stage of my career.
Xerri didn't have a full season in the ruck prior to 2021. He had probably rucked only a tiny amount of games as a full-time ruck because we had Campbell dominating at VFL level, he was young and we had COVID root the 2020 VFL season. We wanted to develop his ruck and forward craft a lot more as the first ruck in the VFL, whilst Campbell had shown a little bit more as a forward at AFL level. He forced his way in based on good form as a pure ruck, but was forced to play forward to allow Goldy to be first ruck. He only went out with injury and couldn't get himself back up.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
I've got no issue with the Roos wanting to hold him to his contract if they genuinely see him as their first ruckman once Goldy retires.

He's a contracted player and the ball is in Norths court.

If he still wants to leave in 12 months time though he will have next to no value.

If Goldy retires by then he may decide to stay though.

North fans seem to be split about him. Some seem very happy to let him walk while others are wanting to hold him to his contract.

Looks like Rawlings is currently in the camp ofnthe latter.

Significant

Premiership Player
Nov 30, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Xerri didn't have a full season in the ruck prior to 2021. He had probably rucked only a tiny amount of games as a full-time ruck because we had Campbell dominating at VFL level, he was young and we had COVID root the 2020 VFL season. We wanted to develop his ruck and forward craft a lot more as the first ruck in the VFL, whilst Campbell had shown a little bit more as a forward at AFL level. He forced his way in based on good form as a pure ruck, but was forced to play forward to allow Goldy to be first ruck. He only went out with injury and couldn't get himself back up.
The above bolded quotes only strengthen my argument - what are you holding on to him for if he isn't being given the opportunity?
I think he could be excused for asking the question, wanting to move on, if he hasn't been trialed in his preferred position before this year because you have chosen to play Tom Campbell (for god knows what reason) in front of him whilst you're rebuilding.

What happens next year when Goldy doesn't retire, wants to play on - where does that leave Xerri?

The above bolded quotes only strengthen my argument - what are you holding on to him for if he isn't being given the opportunity?
I think he could be excused for asking the question, wanting to move on, if he hasn't been trialed in his preferred position before this year because you have chosen to play Tom Campbell (for god knows what reason) in front of him whilst you're rebuilding.

What happens next year when Goldy doesn't retire, wants to play on - where does that leave Xerri?
It is understandable that he wants to go and I wasn't actually having a go at your argument, I was just answering one of your questions. As I said, Campbell had far more experience as a forward (we lacked KPF depth with Brown going and Comben being injured) and was, therefore, chosen as a forward/ruck. We wanted to develop Xerri's forward craft and give him more time as the pure ruck at the secondary level, but even our VFL side lacked height, so he got little opportunity forward.

The thing is that Campbell was dropped for Tristan around halfway through the year due to the latter's form as a pure ruck. Xerri only went out because of injury after that, but he is now the preferred option to Campbell. Who knows with Goldy, but in my opinion, next year is his last. He had some good games this year, but he also got touched up by some real average rucks too. He is also 34 next year.

It all depends if we can sell him on one more year of waiting to replace Goldy and then be the main ruck alongside CCJ (70-30).

Last edited:
Saints would be backing themselves to make the 8 next year.

A pick around 30 for a contracted ruckman isn't ridiculous.

I wouldn't mind if we traded one of our picks in the 30s for him, tbh.

it appears your clubs football department views it completely differently.

Significant

Premiership Player
Nov 30, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Because Noble prefers to play a two ruck system and Edwards is at least 12-18 months away.
The mixed messaging from supporters is astounding - well which way is it?

You bought CCJ across with promised ruck time, as he sees himself as a ruckman first and foremost, so is he your No. 2 Ruck to pair with Goldy in 2022?
Does the 12-18 month timeframe you have stated for Edwards line-up with when Goldy is going to retire so that he can become your No. 2 Ruck?
If CCJ is in your plans moving forward, where is the need for Xerri in all of this?
He already has issues playing the 2nd ruck role and sees himself as a ruckman first and foremost as well

The only possible reason to hang on to him is to try and get some value draft pick wise because he is contracted, but frankly I don't see anything changing in the next year playing wise to suggest that he is going to be given the opportunity to ultimately replace Goldstein.

You can't play all of Larkey, CCJ, and Edwards in the forwardline, and thats not even factoring in Comben who is spoken of fondly.

Xerri doesn't fit in, so it seems counterintuitive to be blocking his movement to try and get a Pick 30 over a Pick 60.

DocSholl

Club Legend
Aug 10, 2021
In Arjen's head
AFL Club
GWS

What is the mixed messaging? Xerri is required for depth and has a year to run on his contract. The onus isn't on North to facilitate a move elsewhere unless the terms are favourable to them.

In 12 months, if he doesn't re-sign then he'll be out of contract and have a lot more freedom in terms of seeking a move.

I suspect it will get done for a future 3rd, or a future 2nd with a later pick going the other way, but North are absolutely entitled to set their price and hold him to his contract if that price isn't met.

perplexed

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne

You bought CCJ across with promised ruck time, as he sees himself as a ruckman first and foremost, so is he your No. 2 Ruck to pair with Goldy in 2022?
Does the 12-18 month timeframe you have stated for Edwards line-up with when Goldy is going to retire so that he can become your No. 2 Ruck?
If CCJ is in your plans moving forward, where is the need for Xerri in all of this?
He already has issues playing the 2nd ruck role and sees himself as a ruckman first and foremost as well

The only possible reason to hang on to him is to try and get some value draft pick wise because he is contracted, but frankly I don't see anything changing in the next year playing wise to suggest that he is going to be given the opportunity to ultimately replace Goldstein.

You can't play all of Larkey, CCJ, and Edwards in the forwardline, and thats not even factoring in Comben who is spoken of fondly.

Xerri doesn't fit in, so it seems counterintuitive to be blocking his movement to try and get a Pick 30 over a Pick 60.
Hardly astounding that BF posters aren't across their list manager's long term plans. It looks like the club is keeping its options open, much will depend on how the young talls develop.
We don't need to trade Xerri and would rather have him as back-up than Campbell. So if the Saints really want him they need to pay overs.

Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

What's probably more astounding is the emotional energy St Kilda supporters are expending on having to pay a premium to get over the little problem of a legally binding contract

Gosaints12

Premiership Player
Sep 10, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Ferrari
You think he's worth a future 1st? Bold, but I approve.

IMG_1712.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Back